Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

New York Traffic Auction 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
we plan on having an initial list out about a month before the auction.

Show runs June 19th-21st, so were looking about the 20th of the month...Cool. :cool:

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Great! Thanks for the fast response.

That's good news, I think that's a good amount of time for buyers to take a look at the list and make plans for what they might want to go after.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Monte,

It would be helpful if we knew if our domains are accepted for NYC so we know if we should resubmit to the Affiliate Summit. Problem is that the deadline for Summit submission is May 15th and it looks like we won't know the status of NYC until the following week. Thoughts?

Thanks!

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sent in a list with a whole bunch of names. I just received an email from Bari with about a dozen of my names on it saying:

============================

"I hope this email finds you well. As we yet, we have not yet finalized the domain list for the TRAFFIC EAST auction however we are very close and hope to be done within the next few weeks. When we have the list completed – we will email all sellers with directions on where to review the domains that made the cut.

The review committee has provided me with a list of domains that they believe will be of interest to buyers, but the current reserves are set too high. Understand that although the committee’s opinion is based upon some expert analysis and industry standard metrics, it is still just an opinion – not a formal Moniker appraisal. If you agree to lower your reserve, there is a far greater chance that this/these particular name(s) will make the final cut. If you do not choose to lower your name this does not assure that this/these names(s) are eliminated from contention - it only means that there is less chance that they will be included. The reserve price is the minimum amount that you would get should we sell your names at this auction. If there is a lot of interest in your name, then this reserve price would likely be exceeded.

<names were listed here with suggested reductions>

I must have an immediate answer back from you if you agree to lower your reserves for these names. If I do not hear from you today/tomorrow at the latest, I will assume that you do not authorize any reserve price reductions."
=========================

So I guess Moniker is still asking for reductions and without Live auction guarantees. Honestly, I know Monte does a good job with the Live part but the firesale prices cost me big time last auction. I lowered my prices but there was only one buyer for 9 names - no bidding war - so the Buyer practically stole the names. I can't keep giving the best away.

If it is truly about the best names and I "don't make the cut without lowering the reserve", well, I won't make the cut. The "committee" and I will likely never be on the same page so I guess I'll sit out another auction. :(

Also, for those who were waiting on the list, please note the first sentence of the email where it says, "....hope to be done within the next few weeks."

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, there is no special treatment for anyone. ;)

I submitted a dozen premium generics and haven't heard anything.

stuff like voiceoverip.com, paperback.com and a few others.

-=DCG=-

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have said this before and I'll say it again. The one thing that is really messed up with this auction, is when you lower the reserves to what they suggest and the domains get pushed to silent anyway...It was asked if they would revert back to the original reserves if they pushed to silent, and the answer was "Good question but unfortunately not"

The Live auction is used as a bargaining chip to get domain owners to lower there reserves, I think Moniker should at least allow domain owners to go back to the original reserves if there domains got pushed to silent, its the RIGHT thing to do, since the silent auction does not yield what the live auction does.

damitssam

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have said this before and I'll say it again. The one thing that is really messed up with this auction, is when you lower the reserves to what they suggest and the domains get pushed to silent anyway...It was asked if they would revert back to the original reserves if they pushed to silent, and the answer was "Good question but unfortunately not"

The Live auction is used as a bargaining chip to get domain owners to lower there reserves, I think Moniker should at least allow domain owners to go back to the original reserves if there domains got pushed to silent, its the RIGHT thing to do, since the silent auction does not yield what the live auction does.

Why should they? Doesn't make any sense from an economic perspective. Monte is trying to earn as much money as he can from commission on TRAFFIC. Lower reserve = more sales = more commission = more profit.

As long as there is a demand for sellers to "try" and get their domain into the live auction, then unfortunately Moniker ain't going to change anytime soon.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That sounds like great idea. I would be willing to do that.

Still have the risk of the name selling at/below the original reserve even if the name is in LIVE auction.
Bidding might not go as high as the original reserve, but the risk is worth it (IMO) if it was in the LIVE auction, just for the opportunity.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Moniker should at least allow domain owners to go back to the original reserves if there domains got pushed to silent, its the RIGHT thing to do, since the silent auction does not yield what the live auction does.

yes please :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why should they? Doesn't make any sense from an economic perspective.

Correction, somebody PM'd me once about this before, and stated they buy at these auctions, so I can see why buyers would disagree with any increase in the reserves.....Try to see past the buyers and Brokers perspective, and look at the sellers perspective.

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I submitted a dozen premium generics and haven't heard anything.

Yep. I submitted a nice premium and am still waiting for some sort of reply. At the very least they could send out something that said "Thanks for your submission. We have received your suggestions and will have a decision by such and such a date."

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Correction, somebody PM'd me once about this before, and stated they buy at these auctions, so I can see why buyers would disagree with any increase in the reserves.....Try to see past the buyers and Brokers perspective, and look at the sellers perspective.

Raider:

It was me who PM'd you that time. There will always be a perception by some sellers that prices/reserves are too low. I think a big part of the problem of the expectations of sellers and the continual overuse and abuse of the word "premium".

I bought one name ($50,000+) in the last live auction, and two in the silent auction ($100,000+ and $20,000+) and I certainly don't think I "stole" any of the names, or got an incredible deal. What I did get was hundreds of decent names available in one place, in a controlled enviroment, at market prices.

If the names deserve to be in the Live Auction, most of the time they are. After being at all the TRAFFIC auctions and participating in the silent auctions, I don't consider either to be the place to buy bargain priced domains.

If I have one complaint of the Silent Auction, it's having to sift through 3000so called "premium" names to find the 200 premium names that are priced with reality in mind.

My 2 bits.

Shaun

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is very hard to justify bringing name prices down to Moniker's requested reserves when I have turned down higher offers more than once for the same names.

For some names, their committee recommended 25% off my reserve. For others, 50-75% cuts. Three they wanted 90% off my reserve. What they also don't see is that I make more keeping them parked. :(

Add the 15% commission on top, it would have been even more costly to me.

It just comes down to a difference of opinion. I can't run their business and they can't run mine. We just agree to disagree. I just have to set prices I can live with. They have to pick the names they think will reach their goals.

I can respect and live with that.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Raider: It was me who PM'd you that time.

Your correct, I went back and looked it up. As I mentioned to you before, I don't have a problem with the way Moniker conducts there auctions. Its prior to the auction that I have issues with, and I made some of these issues clear in my prior posts.

I do believe there are bargains in the Silent auction, its a place where you can expect to buy a domain for less than at a Live auction, the sales figures from the past silent auctions clearly shows this. What is changing more and more now, is that Moniker is moving to extremely low reserves and allowing domains to be bid up, although this works well in the Live auction, it does not work so well in the Silent, there is much LESS bidding up on the majority of silent domains, 3000 domains dropping in 1 day and buyers funds nearly depleted from the live auction could be some reasons why....If theirs a clear consensus that Silent nets less than Live, Moniker needs to give domain owners the choice of having there domains considered for Live, Silent or Both.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You heard it here first(maybe) ladies and gents:

Here are some of the NEW YORK TRAFFIC NAMES:

According to this release
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/E3DEE7F8F16E8216CC2572DE00109BD4

Among the domain names to be offered for sale by Moniker.com are Bourbon.com
Horseracing.com
Student.com
Naked.com
Cardiology.com
Elections.com
BroadwayShows.com
Ethanol.com
Musicians.com

Congratulations and best of luck to buyers and sellers!!

Master Chief

DN Sniper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
those are some great names :eek:k:

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the NEW YORK TRAFFIC NAMES:

According to this release
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/E3DEE7F8F16E8216CC2572DE00109BD4

Among the domain names to be offered for sale by Moniker.com are Bourbon.com
Horseracing.com
Student.com
Naked.com
Cardiology.com
Elections.com
BroadwayShows.com
Ethanol.com
Musicians.com

Congratulations and best of luck to buyers and sellers!!

These are all great names!

Which one will make the biggest sale?

Probably naked.com!?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
These are all great names! Which one will make the biggest sale? Probably naked.com!?

Don't count on it, it didn't sell at the last Moniker auction.

mfm

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
feel free to pm me any of your domains. cash paid. I am actively buying like mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom