Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Newbies bumping old (Domains Wanted) threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just some IDEAS:

Isn't there some kind of hack DNF can implement that prevents members that joined within the last 3 weeks and don't have an X-amount of posts (and thus hardly have any DNF experience) yet be prevented from posting in (= bumping) 'DOMAINS WANTED' threads that were started longer than, say, 3 weeks ago? And then when they DO try to post in such thread, maybe a 'warning' can open that says they should not reactivate old 'Domains Wanted' threads, plus it can also suggest they read the Forum Rules before they make any more 'mistakes'.

Alternately, prevent old 'DOMAINS WANTED' threads to show up for them in search results of searches they did! :-D That's how they come across those old threads anyway, by searching for certain topics that they hope they can sell their domains in.

Or:
Can't 'DOMAINS WANTED' threads be always automatically closed after, say, 3 weeks?

Rob

Upvote 0

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree ... it seems everytime i look at that forum now the entire first page is filled with replies to posts that are 3 months old. I like the automatic closing idea in some reasonable time period. 3 weeks sounds good to me ... maybe even a month.

blindchild

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good idea but think about the mods. There are 200 threads so they look after all that and close and so.

Thats a hard work.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
webmasternet said:
Good idea but think about the mods. There are 200 threads so they look after all that and close and so.

Thats a hard work.

Automatic ... not manual

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. I just wanted to let you know that we are aware of the problem and we have been taking a proactive stance to closing out old threads and trying to keep the forum working efficiently.

Keep us posted on any of your concerns, guys, and I promise that we will not only listen, but we will give serious consideration to your feedback and do our best to act on it.

Best regards,
Sheila

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree they should not be bumped, but to remove them from the search is no fun, I like to look at older sales to get a feel for the current trends and compare current and past figures, I think having old posts accessable is needed, just dont over look the time stamp.

~ideas of a DNF newb
~but not new to forums in general

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think perhaps threads in that area should have a notice upon creation warning the author that the thread will automatically be closed after 1 month.

Surely this vB hack is floating around somewhere...

I think a 1 month window is long enough for any 'wanted' ad.

This would ensure that old threads can still be searched and viewed after the expiry date, but cannot be 'bumped'.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think its a hack out there now for it, but it could be made.

Mr. Pim

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen a hack on an other forum that closes a thread after x time of no reply.
I think that would help against bumping old threads.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The hack is being considered by the Administrators. In the meantime we're doing our best to monitor that forum closely. Another concern is bloated threads there with sellers eagerly replying, and the original poster giving no indication of interest. Very inconsiderate and time-consuming IMHO.

linkman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe add something where the creator of the thread can specify the time to live of the thread? When the TTL ends the thread is locked automtaically.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also consider making all domains wanted threads auto-locked.
This way the sellers must PM the thread starter, keeping the board nice and clean.

If the sellers want the rest of the world to know they are selling a particular domain, they can always use their one daily domain for sale thread credit for that.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These will be looked at tomorrow.

There is a hack we can use that closes the posts after there has been no action in say 30 days or whatever we set.

-=DCG=-

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe that falls into the castegory of "Tough S**t - new rules" ;)

You cant have your cake & eat it too.

IN order to keep the 'dead threads' down, it requires a 'maximum duration' for threads.

This would mean that ongoing threads such as the one RadiStar referred to would have to be 're-listed' at the end of that duration.

Personally, I feel that is a small price to pay. ;)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You know what, no problem with me. I will simply make a new thread every 24 hours - as I am entitled to. I sell *a lot* of those lists; so "tough sh*t" to all the natural bumping that will occur. So instead of having one tidy thread, the section will have several to wade through.

When common sense doesn't get utilized, the natural instict takes over (tm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom