Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Newbies bumping old (Domains Wanted) threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just some IDEAS:

Isn't there some kind of hack DNF can implement that prevents members that joined within the last 3 weeks and don't have an X-amount of posts (and thus hardly have any DNF experience) yet be prevented from posting in (= bumping) 'DOMAINS WANTED' threads that were started longer than, say, 3 weeks ago? And then when they DO try to post in such thread, maybe a 'warning' can open that says they should not reactivate old 'Domains Wanted' threads, plus it can also suggest they read the Forum Rules before they make any more 'mistakes'.

Alternately, prevent old 'DOMAINS WANTED' threads to show up for them in search results of searches they did! :-D That's how they come across those old threads anyway, by searching for certain topics that they hope they can sell their domains in.

Or:
Can't 'DOMAINS WANTED' threads be always automatically closed after, say, 3 weeks?

Rob

Upvote 0

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your partially right though RADiSTAR, while the maximum duration is good, it should be extended to 1 month rather than 24 hrs.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No, I didn't say it's currently 24 hours. And I am not aware of what the "TTL" (time to live) of the threads after the new hack was installed is. Did you see any announcements? I sure didn't see any.

Yes, I am pissed because the only fair way for me seems to be posting daily in the Advertising section. And a lot of others will be pissed because of this.

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As per the hacks Description:

This is a simple script that will close all threads where the last post is 30 days or older

So, given that the TTL is set to 30 days, then as long as there is a new post within that period, your thread should be fine.

I think thats fair. Its just a simple "PM sent" etc..

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Then perhaps there needs to be an explanation why my thread was closed.

Duncan said:
No offense radi, but edit your posts instead.

I post availability numbers not daily, perhaps every 3 or 4 days or when a new sale occurs. So I don't think I've abused the feature - I post NEW info as required by the non-bump rules.

So now, I will simply make a NEW thread every 24 hours. I don't want to hear any bitching about that - I am 100% legal and it's a matter of principle.

Incidentally, I would not have found out the thread was closed if it weren't for a buyer who bought the list and told me he could not post "sold" because it was closed.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Radi, seems to me you were "Bumping" your threads with new information, rather then editing your first post, with the new info.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Duncan said:
Radi, seems to me you were "Bumping" your threads with new information, rather then editing your first post, with the new info.

You are completely wrong. Read the rules: new info does not consitute bumping. And in a constantly active thread, where sales occur, to close a thread with no reason or other message it's outrageous.

I *will* make a big deal out of it because I am losing money from crap like that.

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Given all this new info etc, I should expect a notice from Adam (DCG) informing all of us of the Last post Deadline so that we may be aware of it and its consequences.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You know what, I don't think I have to put up with crap like this either:
http://www.dnforum.com/f5/tldbid-com-homeloanfunding-us-10-more-107357.html

According to your logic, adding prices should be done by editing one's post. And done by a moderator no less!

Anyhow, guess what. I just had another list sale on my brand new thread, so I will simply take plan B: one new thread every 24 hours. Thanks!

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Correct, in my logic, he should have edited the post, rather then bumping it to the top of the hay stack.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
But see Duncan, rules allow this. So your logic is flawed.

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless he just posted again assuming the automerge would just add it to his 1st post.

Is it just me.. or has the 'automerge' feature vanished also?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
This entire thread started with this issue in mind: that ancient threads would be dug up by new users that searched the index, found some interesting but outdated thread and bumped it up - like years later. In my case though, an active thread with on-going sales is closed. So I don't see how your logic is flawless.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Global, I believe mods are exempt from the "auto-merge" feature. Not sure though.

REPLY TO RADI: They can post sold, you don't need to update the list, but in the first post.

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Like the hacks description says:

30 Days from the last post... thread is closed.

I think 30 days is more than enough time.

If your thread is 'ongoing' - then you should have no worries getting a post within that 30 day window.

Should you?

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RADi - your missnig the point here!

As long as your thread gets its post 'hit' every 30 days (or whatever the TTL is) there is no wy it would be closed (for those rules). SO you wouldnt need to make a new thread every 24hrs. (unless the TTL is set at 24 hrs, in which case it should be raised.)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Oh but guess what: now *I am* going to make a new thread every 24 hours, because someone decided to close an active thread. There are 5 sales on the last of 3 pages alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom