Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Not Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why can't I buy a .US domain name as a UK resident?

Anyone from anywhere can buy a .co.uk or a .me.uk or any other UK extension they choose!

this borders on racism surely!

comments please

Bob

Domain summit 2024

Sorry.

You can't buy a .ca domain either.

I suspect there are many more ccTLDs that prohibit purchase from outside the country if you don't have a bona-fide presence in that country.

This is what the ccTLDs were originally intended to provide.

-t

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, many other countries, such as Italy and Greece make local extensions really tough to get (though Italy has recently become somewhat easier.)

Us speculators have been spoiled by .com's and co.uk's ease of acquisition.

Originally posted by DnPowerful
Actually, many other countries, such as Italy and Greece make local extensions really tough to get

DnP, I am impressed by your knowledge of the Greek domain market :D Even your *@*.fm email has such overtones.

But seriously, even if you were otherwise allowed to register .gr domains - as a citizen or business (exactly like the .us requirements) you cannot register cusswords :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bobb
Why can't I buy a .US domain name as a UK resident?

Check out Nexus clause C3 and maybe you could qualify.

M

MattyP

Being Australian and trying to get .com.au names is the pits.

Gee they make it hard!!

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange
Speaking of Italy, go to www.f u c k.it for a laugh

:) :) :) i signed up for an email there ...NOT

M

MattyP

Originally posted by timechange
MattyP would you like to buy 2Oz.org ? :D

No thanks timechange.
I wanted Horse.com.au.
The rules in owning a .com.au name are unbelievable.

Btw. At this stage you are not allowed to resell .com.au names, hence no market.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
:Check out Nexus clause C3 and maybe you could qualify

Where can I find this?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bobb,
don't care bout the policy rubbish, just go to a place like registerfly.com and start registering.There's always a way to prove the c3 thing later.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Are you saying i can register a .US name even though I'm British?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Absolutely.

C3 gives foreigners the avenue to register .us. But you could be a little too late to get a good one :razz:

Originally posted by Bobb
Are you saying i can register a .US name even though I'm British?
If you don't meet the Nexus requirements, you may lose your domain.

You can certainly register it, but if it's challenged, or if the Registry actually audits the registrations as they claim they will be doing, you will simply forfeit the domain.

Your risk. No one can tell you what to do.

-t

Nexus Policy

Registrants in the usTLD must be either:

1. A natural person (i) who is a United States citizen, (ii) who is a permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories, or (iii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions [Nexus Category 1],

2. A United States entity or organization that is (i) incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories, or (ii) organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia or any of its possessions or territories (including a federal, state, or local government of the United States or a political subdivision thereof, and non-commercial organizations based in the United States) [Nexus Category 2], or

3. A foreign entity or organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories [Nexus Category 3].

Prospective Registrants will certify that they have a “bona fide presence in the United States” on the basis of real and substantial lawful connections with, or lawful activities in, the United States of America. This requirement is intended to ensure that only those individuals or organizations that have a substantive lawful connection to the United States are permitted to register for usTLD domain names.

It shall be a continuing requirement that all usTLD domain name Registrants remain in compliance with Nexus. To implement the Nexus requirement, NeuStar will:

·Require that Registrars certify that they enforce the Nexus requirement upon their Registrants, and that Registrars require Registrants to certify tha t they meet the Nexus requirement.

·Conduct a scan of selected registration request information.

·Conduct “spot checks” on Registrant information.
They further go on to say:
Nexus Category 3

A foreign entity or organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories.

·Applicant must state country of citizenship.

·Applicant must also (1) regularly engage in lawful activities (sales of goods or services or other business, commercial or non-commercial including not-for-profit activities) in the United States; or (2) maintain an office or other property within the United States.

Category 3 Nexus Certification

Prospective Registrants will certify compliance with Category 3 Nexus based upon substantial lawful contacts with, or lawful activities in, the United States.

Factors that should be considered in determining whether an entity or organization has a bona fide presence in the United States shall include, without limitation, whether such prospective usTLD domain name Registrant:

·Regularly performs lawful activities within the United States related to the purposes for which the entity or organization is constituted (e.g., selling goods or providing services to customers, conducting regular training activities, attending conferences), provided such activities are not conducted solely or primarily to permit it to register for a usTLD domain name and are lawful under the laws and regulations of the United States and satisfy policies for the usTLD, including policies approved and/or mandated by the DoC;

·Maintains an office or other facility in the United States for a lawful business, noncommercial, educational or governmental purpose, and not solely or primarily to permit it to register for a usTLD domain name.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot 'thewitt' this is very heplful, i'll go & snap a few .US names and see what happens.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators