Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed OGG (Vorbis) Domains - New MP3 Replacement Audio Format

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just today purchased some OGG domain names. For those who don't know, the .OGG file extension is for the Ogg Vorbis Audio File Format which is a patent and royalty free replacement for the patented MP3 format.

Ogg Vorbis just this weekend announced their long awaited version 1.0 of their audio file format spec. It is included in many Audio Editors and Players. Audio Player software such as Sound Forge, WinAMP, FreeAMP, etc. support the Ogg Vorbis format and I believe it has the potential (due to its open-source public domain release status) to someday replace or at least rival MP3. Audio quality is said to be equal or better than MP3, AAC (MPEG 4) and MP3Pro.

That is why I thought a long-term investment in the below 3 OGG related domains would be wise. Please let me know your thoughts and potential appraisals for these domains and OGG related domains in general.

OGG.CC
OGGS.ORG
OGGS.INFO

For a NEWS.COM news story about the Ogg Vorbis 1.0 Release visit:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945228.html?tag=fd_top

Also for more info about OGG Vorbis (.ogg files) visit their sites at:
ogg.org or vorbis.com or xiph.org

Thanks in advance for your replies, suggested uses and appraisals for these domains!

Adam

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time looking at OGG. My take is that there is a very strong chance it will rival or replace MP3. If one is willing to bet on OGG taking off and wait for 1 - 2 years then there is a very good opportunity here.

I regged

oggdownloads.com
oggmusic.com
freeogg.com

among others.

How did I pick them. I used Wordtracker and looked for good MP3 keywords and replaced MP3 with OGG. If ogg does replace mp3 then it stands to reason that the current results for mp3 keywords is a realistic expectation of what the future holds for ogg.

So what are the Wordtracker results for MP3

These are daily estimates multiply by 10 to 30 to get "overture" results

mp3 49221
mp3 downloads 16395
free mp3 18450
mp3s 3634
mp3 music 2876

so ogg.cc is a very decent domain. Hard to put a price. What is mp3.cc worth to day? If I were to guess 10K or more to a retail end user if and when ogg does take off and assuming the domain market stays the same. As for the oggs.info and oggs.org. Less than ogg.cc

If you ask me would I trade any of my ogg .coms for say ogg.cc. the answer is no. A .com with a search of 18450 is much better than a .cc with search of 49221 even considering the character difference. By they way there are still many good ogg .coms that can be registerd.

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This just in... Referring to the subject of this thread about the new .OGG Audio format that may someday replace MP3, and .OGG domains and their valuation, check out the News.com story below:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-946384.html?tag=fd_top

Real Networks has now endorsed the .OGG audio format and will support it in its popular RealPlayer and new open source Helix software.

Great news for anyone owning .OGG domains as this helps to legitimize and widen the acceptance and number of audio players supporting the .OGG format.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom