Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Only Idiots Reg .MOBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Angelx666.... you need professional help man... er, woman.... whatever you are. (your avatar is confusing me)

Only YOU would cry "conspiracy" at a public auction. LOL!!!

Great day for .mobi.

I can see the registrations now... .mobi must be flying off the shelves :)

Simply amazing for .mobi.

On the other hand... .coms seemed to actually SUFFER a bit today. Even the dot common names that sold were hesitant and drawn out, while the .mobi sales were BAM< BAM< BAM< SOLD! BIG bid increases, indicating a bidder saying "mine, now back off!".

My mobi domains made the "silent" list unfortunately... so while there is still hope, I'm not holding out for a big winner like the live mobi domains.

WOW... what a day for mobi. :)

GoPC

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No one should be eating humble pie just yet.

If I sold a piece of shit straight from my ass on ebay for $1 million does that mean all shit is worth $1 million ?

The way I see it, flowers.mobi can obviously be used to generate orders via cellphone etc. may take off, may not. So in the end it might be worth alot more. But at this point the same can be said for alot of .mobi names that will NEVER see $200K from a reseller. It WAS a very HIGH number, suspiciously HIGH number, obsurdly High infact. The type of number that lends to conspiracy theories. I am not a conspiracy theorist myself, just a realist, it exists right under your noses all the time. :fish2:

What better promotion to get the " Domain King " himself to pay you $200K for a name in a public setting...hhhmmm

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Angelx666, How would you like your pie? Warm or Cold?

easy easy, i understand there can be value found for flovers.mobi or pizza.mobi, if the guys will carry on marketing this $hit so big but definitely not for your somesortsofwallpapers.mobi

people will not use mobilephone for more then a quick taxi or hotel finder (in foreign country), but not for yr wallpapers and nobody will be filling up the loan application form with phone keyboard ,so relax

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... If I sold a piece of shit straight from my ass on ebay for $1 million ...
I guess that's the flaw in the plan. Is there a proven market for such goods? Have you pinched a particularly good stool upon which you'd base those economic theories?

... nobody will be filling up the loan application form with phone keyboard ,so relax

Now THAT made me truly laugh!

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
people will not use mobilephone for more then a quick taxi or hotel finder

cool, even the naysayers are already complimenting the type of names i bought during landrush.. thanks man

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess that's the flaw in the plan. Is there a proven market for such goods? Have you pinched a particularly good stool upon which you'd base those economic theories?

Yes, all the major industries involved in offering toilet paper are " on board " :cell:

Sure no real use is created by buying my piece of " shit " but I swear it will be revolutionary. Restricting users to my shit only is a great idea. Too bad it costs too much and is very impratical to use.

Your piece of " shit " is spelt errr I mean smells the same and even gets lots of visitors to say hello to it, but my " shit " is worth $1 million.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
a suggestion. Now that these prices have been achieved for .mobi, i believe they were truly the star of the show.
They are tlds & i think if enough of us email sedo, they may add the extension to the list of tlds when you go through to the page after the search. At the moment they are languishing down below with the crappy cctlds etc, like a poor relative.
Let's get .mobis up where it belongs. It will seriously help in getting bids. Anyone up for it?
Pred

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
a suggestion. Now that these prices have been achieved for .mobi, i believe they were truly the star of the show.
They are tlds & i think if enough of us email sedo, they may add the extension to the list of tlds when you go through to the page after the search. At the moment they are languishing down below with the crappy cctlds etc, like a poor relative.
Let's get .mobis up where it belongs. It will seriously help in getting bids. Anyone up for it?
Pred

well i agree it is a truly unrestricted gtld ... i'll send an email

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Pred

They will probablly get on it after todays auction results.

I'd rather see mobi compliant parking pages up first so my foolish investments don't get de-activated.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are saying Shwartz could have somehow trademarked "flowers" ?

Like most landrushes the best names generally are taken by TM claims. It was just an idea that cost far less than $200K. Not cheap to do or get but not the point.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like most landrushes the best names generally are taken by TM claims. It was just an idea that cost far less than $200K. Not cheap to do or get but not the point.

I'll bite; What is your point, exactly?

You just called the guy running T.R.A.F.F.I.C. stupid and are insisting he could have trademarked one of the most generic terms in the english language. Was there anything else to add?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will probablly get on it after todays auction results.

I'd rather see mobi compliant parking pages up first so my foolish investments don't get de-activated.

Agreed. They give you a month notice apparently anyway if they notice it's non-compliant. It's right at the start anyway & like to think they wont start slapping people around.
First parking company though to get quality parking pages for .mobis will get a lot of business.
You're right, sort this first, then group with other tlds to increase sales. It wouldn't hurt to mass email sedo about both?
Pred

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll bite; What is your point, exactly?

You just called the guy running T.R.A.F.F.I.C. stupid and are insisting he could have trademarked one of the most generic terms in the english language. Was there anything else to add?
Since you asked, I think we have seen generic terms TM and taken pre reg before... I never said he was stupid, but imo it was a stupid price to pay IF the real price. How nice to have the domain king be the first to spend 6 figs on a .mobi for your company, justifying its marketability and the like. Now I wonder if that will affect future reg. Auctions of .mobi, damn straight it will. Oh look we make more money because the domain king gave us his stamp! Conspiracy theory,perhaps, either way he'll make money so no he's not stupid. JMO

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since you asked, I think we have seen generic terms TM and taken pre reg before... I never said he was stupid, but imo it was a stupid price to pay IF the real price. How nice to have the domain king be the first to spend 6 figs on a .mobi for your company, justifying its marketability and the like. Now I wonder if that will affect future reg. Auctions of .mobi, damn straight it will. Oh look we make more money because the domain king gave us his stamp! Conspiracy theory,perhaps, either way he'll make money so no he's not stupid. JMO

From Page 2 of this thread:

The other high .mobi sales were " fair " considering the words but still high imo. 3-4 guys got real lucky that stupidity is present in not only the poor but the rich as well.

So who are you saying is stupid exactly? Everyone who bidded on .mobi except Shwartz?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI, the best buy of the auction was forclosures.com as I think Denny007 already pointed out. At $150K, that could pay for itself in one year if the traffic is handled properly.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think one should probably ponder and reflect before concluding that there was this big conspiracy going on...is it too hard to handle signs of a new tld's likely success? Although much higher than expected, this .mobi sticker shock didn't come totally out of blue as recently there were multiple 4 & 5 figure sales at the Pool auctions. Think, vast majority of the participants in the Traffic auction were pretty hard-core .com crowd...does it even make sense that they would "conspire" to artificially inflate the market for, and prices of, a brand new extension and thus divert focus, attention and flow of $$ away from what they have a longstanding vested interest in. Everyone knows that .com folks have not only always shyed away from new extensions but also they have looked down upon them...that is...untill now...may be, may be, there's something unique and promising anout .mobi afterall. Any chance?

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Flowers.mobi and i think all the high value .mobis sold today were premium names sold by the .mobi registry...
and i for one, as an investor with around 70 of them think it is great, as now they will have another 400k or so to put into marketing .mobi...
the more money they make, the more money they can put into marketing!

Rick would not buy something for 200k he did not think he would make a nice return on, his vote of confidence is the start of a huge change!

I am a very happy man!

Cheers to everyone that had the foresight, initiative, gambling instinct to have a punt on .mobi!

Interestingly punt.mobi did not sell!

:santa:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From Page 2 of this thread:

So who are you saying is stupid exactly? Everyone who bidded on .mobi except Shwartz?

Perhap...lol

I am kind of playing devils advocate. Not saying this is what occured rather what " could " happen. Maybe I have a criminal mind or always see the angels. I dunno :cheeky:

I think one should probably ponder and reflect before concluding that there was this big conspiracy going on...is it too hard to handle signs of a new tld's likely success? Although much higher than expected, this .mobi sticker shock didn't come totally out of blue as recently there were multiple 4 & 5 figure sales at the Pool auctions. Think, vast majority of the participants in the Traffic auction were pretty hard-core .com crowd...does it even make sense that they would "conspire" to artificially inflate the market for, and prices of, a brand new extension and thus divert focus, attention and flow of $$ away from what they have a longstanding vested interest in. Everyone knows that .com folks have not only always shyed away from new extensions but also they have looked down upon them...that is...untill now...may be, may be, there's something unique and promising anout .mobi afterall. Any chance?

You miss the whole point of how it works. Again not saying this is what happened but anything is possible and here's how it COULD happen if so desired.

Lets say compan X ( .mobi ) approaches a domainer respected around the globe, adored by newbs.
1. Offer to pay him off if he bids X on a premium .mobi, and yes actually paying. The pay off is greater than the $200K of course.
2. The other dozens of premiums we have will garner BIG money as it is now established and our initial investment is multiplied several times over.

Very simply put. Small timers who benefit are here nor there, it is all about inflation of future premium drops. Established, not etc is here nor there to them. There real money is made NOW.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You miss the whole point of how it works. Again not saying this is what happened but anything is possible and here's how it COULD happen if so desired.

Lets say compan X ( .mobi ) approaches a domainer respected around the globe, adored by newbs.
1. Offer to pay him off if he bids X on a premium .mobi, and yes actually paying. The pay off is greater than the $200K of course.
2. The other dozens of premiums we have will garner BIG money as it is now established and our initial investment is multiplied several times over.

Very simply put. Small timers who benefit are here nor there, it is all about inflation of future premium drops. Established, not etc is here nor there to them. There real money is made NOW.
Yes, anything is "possible" but from what I gather, there were "several" parties bidding very actively on these (.mobi) names, especially for flowers.mobi & fun.mobi, with the owner of flowers.com also bidding for the former. Again, possible? May be, but likely? Not so, IMO, with so many players involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators