Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Petition to Get Rid of the Political Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe at one point the political section served its purpose where forum members could discuss politics like respectable men and women. However, it has become nothing but a distraction, a source of stress, a cesspool and overall I feel it does far more harm to our community than good. Violation of rule #3 is running wild in this section: what message does that send?

In order to keep sending the clear message that DNF is a professional community who works together and takes pride in being the central place for domain discussion, I would like to have it removed or at least provided the ability to block this irrelevant section of our community.

I know there are others who feel the same and I will let them post below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I agree. It should be replaced by a domainer's daily sex column instead.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While I agree that the political section is a negative side of this forum, if we got rid of it those posts would just spill out into other sections and would be nearly impossible to contain.

If you see personal attacks - use the report button so it's flagged for us (it makes it much easier).

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if we got rid of it those posts would just spill out into other sections and would be nearly impossible to contain.
I think it would be easier to contain and easier to enforce rules if that happened.

Yes, I partake in the heated discussions.

Lets face it, when was the last time many involved in the threads were even involved in domaining? How many domaining related threads did they start in 2010? I'll bet combined, those individuals could be counted on one hand in regards to domain related threads started.

Kill the political section.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed, get rid of it

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

if we got rid of it those posts would just spill out into other sections and would be nearly impossible to contain.

Some of the forums I frequent have different rules like no discussion on politics or no discussion about religion..., because these forums are not about politics or religion and the admins know these discussions usually don't end well or cause trouble between the members

This is a domaining forum, there shouldn't be discussions about politics or religion allowed, there are plenty of other avenues for this, IMO

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the section existing ... I think the right compromise is to keep political-forum posts from appearing in the recent post lists, iSpy, etc. That way, the political screamers could vent their spleens without the rest of us needing to notice it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the section existing ... I think the right compromise is to keep political-forum posts from appearing in the recent post lists, iSpy, etc. That way, the political screamers could vent their spleens without the rest of us needing to notice it.
A viable option.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no problem closing it.

But as long as people continue to spread manure I'll keep wasting my time to plow it under. It takes 100 times as much work to expose and explain a lie with facts and vetted sources than it does to post a crap lie from nameless sources. This is where I work. If there is going to be a political section I will continue to counter those that would bring bullshit and call it facts.

Yes, I have my opinions too and I am wrong on things as well as the next guy. But I do try to make sure I know WHO is creating the sources I use and that I have checked to make sure there claims can be verified, that facts take precedent over opinions no matter how loud a person can yell or how many times they can post, and that if someone posts a claim that I should at least read it to know what I'm responding to instead of just insulting the person without responding to the substance of the post.....

My poignant opinion....

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give em hell Think .. i have visited the political threads from time to time and it's full of bs and nonsense ... I never reply as i know it would be an all day event of back and forths afterwards ;) I'll let you continue to take out the trash brother.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give em hell Think .. i have visited the political threads from time to time and it's full of bs and nonsense ... I never reply as i know it would be an all day event of back and forths afterwards ;) I'll let you continue to take out the trash brother.

Thanks for words JE. Been a long time. Hope things are going well. Miss the days of the chat room here.....

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why get rid of it? If it annoys you guys so much, just ignore it. I know I do.

Hard to ignore if you use the new posts feature. There are some political debates, topics which could be interesting, but once I click on them I quickly regret it. I would rather see the political section completely gone, or not appearing among the new posts. Let's keep it clean and professional, and the members who are not here to make business should choose to go to a real political forum.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A professor once told me it is imperative to listen to the idiot's opinion because it only reinforces the truth. Now, granted that we all perceive "truth" differently, the political section shouldn't be discarded on the basis of BS posts or stress inducing commentary. Understandably, a great many can't stand the sheer ignorance or verbal abuse that come along with the discourse. In all fairness, it is the nature of politics, whether in the real world or online. Stupidity can always be ignored. I went through the same stress levels. Somehow I got used to and the stress withered away.

But since this is a domaining forum, after all, a political section isn't a priority.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd settle for having it excluded from "today's posts" , "new posts", etc., but I'd be happy to see it gone altogether.
I do worry that the same garbage would migrate to the Gold and Platinum lounges though?

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Some domainers read the news and reg new names based on the trends

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
We are all mature enough to be able to ignore the threads. When we don't like a specific TV channel we are able to skip right by it. I don't see why that can't be done here.

Sure it may pop up in commercials/tv guide but we're able to refuse not to go to it.

I think this is being made into a much bigger deal than what it is.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are all mature enough to be able to ignore the threads. When we don't like a specific TV channel we are able to skip right by it. I don't see why that can't be done here.

Not everyone browses the forum the same. Sometimes we use "New Posts" and a title just catches your eye. Most of the time I don't even pay attention to the section it's in and then I read it by accident only to read about someone bashing what I believe in. That stuff is hard to ignore and makes it hard to do business here without being effected.

Simply being able to opt out of that section would be satisfactory to me in the least.

Some domainers read the news and reg new names based on the trends

Unfortunately, it is not being used that way.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe at one point the political section served its purpose where forum members could discuss politics like respectable men and women. However, it has become nothing but a distraction, a source of stress, a cesspool and overall I feel it does far more harm to our community than good. Violation of rule #3 is running wild in this section: what message does that send?

In order to keep sending the clear message that DNF is a professional community who works together and takes pride in being the central place for domain discussion, I would like to have it removed or at least provided the ability to block this irrelevant section of our community.

I know there are others who feel the same and I will let them post below.

I think part of debate is understanding the rules and admit I am guilty of violating rule number three from time to time. Thank you for pointing this out if only for reference sake as it's not an easy task for some of us. Still it serves no interests in the long term to ignore rule 3 so I'll do my best to comply if the political discussion section remains open.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That can be said about a lot of the threads. I find it disturbing that ADULT domains show up in "New Posts" but i am able to get over it.

To me, that's a bigger problem. So what's next? Have an option to opt out of any section we choose? Are we really incapable to ignore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom