Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Poll: Do You Like The New Dnf Interface?

Do you like the new new DNF Interface?

• Yes - Its better, I see several advantages, and I believe I will earn more money at Dnforum

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No - Missing features, harder navigation, not as compelling, no inbox folders, bugs, and time wasted

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dislike the new DnForum. This is a poll to see if others agree. My thoughts are:
  • Missing features - things I used to use, and like, are gone. For example the inbox was very clear, and I could save some messages easily for later reply; and keep folders. All gone; the things I had sorted into folders - its just tossed away. I have lost information and have lost time, too.
  • Harder navigation - some things I cannot find, and some titles are not clickable, when they should be; forcing me to back to a whole subforum to get into a thread. Result: wasting time.
  • The whole launch process was awkward. This is not a new service; a complete redo ought to be done as a parallel system, debugged, and then switched over. Done this way: time wasted again.
  • Looks worse on a mobile (this was reported on the forum by one of dnf members)
  • Imagine if the upgrade had been done in a very smooth way, debugged in a parallel system, with all bugs fixed and better nav and maybe some uniqueness to the interface; and maybe give free $dnf to everyone who posts the first month, a free domain contest, etc - you know, make it fun and be promotional - then it would have been more painless, and possibly even interesting.
  • The interface seems to be very similar to NamePros. Are giving up our uniqueness? When a site is less unique, its all downhill from there.... might as well rename DNF, "NamePros2".
  • I am still using it, giving it some effort; but my enthusiasm is not growing. Am I the only one? Hence this Poll. If others are not feeling it, not feeling the same enthusiasm, feeling disillusioned, or if they simply feel less efficient (and thus will use it less overall), then the result is: fewer sales.

Domain summit 2024

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would vote: 'undecided' thus far. I agree with several points you made, particularly about the new conversation method... I think a UI/UX re-think may be in order...

I can't say I DON'T like it, but I certainly have not become at ease with the navigation... perhaps in a few more weeks / months, we'll settle in a bit better.

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I get notified of an reply to a post, or when I go through my profile at my posts, I would like to see the entire post, not just the one reply. It's really frustrating!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For those of us that have wide monitors, there seems to be an awful lot of vacant real estate in the middle, especially when looking at new posts.

Seems like there could be some sort of activity or directory on a side bar.

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also when I add a two word domain, its not allowing me to capitalize the first letter of each word individually in the title.

For instance, if I start a post titled: WordWord.com, it shows up as Wordword.com in the listings...

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I get notified of an reply to a post, or when I go through my profile at my posts, I would like to see the entire post, not just the one reply. It's really frustrating!

Totally agree, same in search results they bring us to an individual post in a thread, not the entire thread anchored on the post as it was before... Probably one of my biggest peeves right now.

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, same in search results they bring us to an individual post in a thread, not the entire thread anchored on the post as it was before... Probably one of my biggest peeves right now.

Drives me bonkers!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I and a lot others pointed that out in the very beginning with a 'bug report'. It soon turned into a nuisance because all bugs were fixed. I then posted this thread as a visual descriptor to the problem mid-May, and it has yet been addressed.

That is my biggest pet peeve. People reporting issues, agreeing as one and no response from staff as to if it will remain the same, on a fix list, etc. It's all quiet on their end, when we're saying fix some of this stuff because it's incredibly aggravating to us.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frustrating indeed. Workaround: click on the time stamp at the bottom of the post to reload the whole thread, anchored to the latest post. Not intuitive but it works.

What I don't like is the current theme that is quite dull, full of grey, with a grey background, and even grey text on on greyish background. Unpleasant to read. DNF has been in mourning since the switch took place. We need sharper contrasts !

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What I don't like is the current theme that is quite dull, full of grey, with a grey background, and even grey text on on greyish background. Unpleasant to read. DNF has been in mourning since the switch took place. We need sharper contrasts !

I agree with that also, you're right and it gives the site this sort of Federal Prison or Insane Asylum look to it...

A bit more vibrant and colorful would be nice.

Dorkside

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For instance, if I start a post titled: WordWord.com, it shows up as Wordword.com in the listings...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has been bothered by that.

I have no facts to back this up, but the forum does seem less active since the design update.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Workaround: click on the time stamp at the bottom of the post to reload the whole thread, anchored to the latest post. Not intuitive but it works.

Hi katherine

I think we all are frustrated about that issue. the workaround you posted does the job though.

Thanks!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Credit goes to MVL :)

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks-wise it's cleaner and brighter, which I prefer. Functionality-wise it's much the same. There's too many forums and sub-forums. Have you noticed the date of the last post in most of them...years ago! Just looking at the homepage, there's a post shown from October 2012 (Industry Leaders/Recommended Software). I wouldn't show a dead thread on the homepage.

I would get rid of them all and condense and simplify it hugely. For example, I would get rid of the three separate lounges, Exclusive, Platinum, Gold. I usually go to the Gold one, i.e where we are now because it's the lowest common denominator and everyone can read the posts there.

If there really is a need for three different memberships and three different discussions (often about the same thing) I would make them private, not taking up most of the space on the homepage. Personally I wouldn't have the different levels of membership and separate forums at all. I like things very basic, very simple!

I have to say, I prefer another (nameless) forum in this regard.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they say changes are for good, however this change is way too hard to navigate and umm alot of missing features from the earlier setup.

I would lobby Adam to switch back to the earlier layout as it was much better and easy to access DNF!!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Features that were turned off (ie, email notifications of posts, PM's, etc) are now turned back on.

I do not necessarily find it convenient to have these automatically turned back on simply because of a change or an upgrade.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On my phone/tablet the site is much better. On my Desktop with a big screen it sucks big time due to all the grey space. On my Laptop it is okay and the same as the other layout.

So, I think the change was aimed at being more mobile friendly. Considering mobile browsing is taking over, it was a good move once all the bugs are fixed. But, for those of us that use our Desktop majority of the day, it is horrible!

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On my Desktop with a big screen it sucks big time due to all the grey space.

Yes, the stuff like Rating, Country, Joined Date, Location and Local Time aren't essential next to each and every post. If they were dropped (it should be moved into the public profile of a user, instead), the extra grey space would be eliminated.

If you wanted to keep that non-essential info on each post, one can make it hidden, but made visible only when someone hovers over the username or avatar or something.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
  • The interface seems to be very similar to NamePros. Are giving up our uniqueness? When a site is less unique, its all downhill from there.... might as well rename DNF, "NamePros2".

NamePros updated to the same forum software after DNF did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators