Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Pool Charged Me For a Name I Didn't Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After hearing nothing from Pool customer service for 4 days I wrote again today demanding an answer. They gave me the same response they gave radioz - that I had ordered the name so they would only issue a credit. This is nonsense as I wouldn't order that name for $6 let alone $60 and I let them know I am unhappy.

I am using their system a lot so I accepted the credit in this case but told them I will charge back any future errors they make of this kind. Judging from all of the complaints here I have a feeling it won't be the last time this happens unless they take responsibility for the bugs in their own system and get it fixed. I would prefer to be the one deciding which domain names I order at $60 a pop.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One other note, they claimed I ordered the domain form the View list - in other words while viewing a list of domains available with my keywords. Others have mentioned this is when they were nicked. If some bug in their system put an order in while I was viewing the page, there was no confirmation at anytime that an order was being placed. Something is extremely screwy there.

I now check my entire backorder list every morning to make sure they haven't added any "surprises". Be especially careful when you are simply viewing lists. You do not have to type in a domain name or see any confirmations to be charged. You won't know they nailed you until some weird name you didn't order is in your account and your card has been charged.

Update:

I received a followup note saying the domain might have been added if I accidentally clicked on a link in one of the regular emails they send telling you there are updates to your keywords. You apparently would never know you clicked the link or that a domain was added to your list as there is no confirmation via that method. Be very careful with those emails. I thinkI'll just set my mail filtering program to delete those emails right away to be safe. It looks like in their zeal to build an easy to use system, they made it TOO easy to put domains in your account without you knowing it.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
charge back not only make them pay the fee, but a lots of charge back will alert the credit card company to come after them.

also tell them that you'll file the case with BBB. BBB will save the case on file. And if there are lots of complaints to Pool.com, it will get investigated.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pool DID get me a decent name (Antique-Show.COM - you probably won't be REAL jealous!) that I really did ask for today. It is a name that was requested at SN, Go Daddy, and NW, at least but I was the only one who requested it at Pool. It has a good ol' hyphen in it but it should be a useful adjunct name for a site that I someday will build. I was surprised that there was no competition especially after 'OwnerManuals.COM' went for $580 on Pool (OK, no hyphen; BUT). That name is taken only in .COM and .NET. Decent name but, for me, I'd choose .BIZ or .US for $4.95 - $5.95 at Go Daddy vs. $580 for the .COM at Pool!

At any rate, I did send Chantelle at Pool this note as I do have one of those 'error credits' discussed here. I did address some of the concerns here. Don't know if it will help and you'll probably STILL have to pay $580 for mediocre.COM but if you do that voluntarily, that is OK!

My note to Chantelle at Pool.COM:

Chantelle,

If you would apply this $60 which was previously paid for today's successful (and correct) back order of 'Antique-Show.COM', I'd appreciate it.

I do believe that you should put an intermediary 'you are back-ordering this domain - Yes/No - This is binding (at $60, anyway)' window whenever someone hits one of your many back order options. This would reduce errors and shouldn't be hard to implement. Take a look at Name Winner and ebay for what I mean. You are getting some notable bad press on the DNforum.com website as many people are experiencing this problem. While I am happy to get this domain that I DID order, you should also be willing to return the funds to the customer's charge account till this situation is resolved. If you add this additional window with an 'I agree' checkbox then there will be few challenges and for most of those you will be able to say, 'yes, you DID order than dumb name!' You'll also have happier customers too, overall.

Thanks!

Best Wishes,

Jon Hall

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes that's all they need to do Jon - hope they heed your advice. They automatically applied the credit I had for my unordered name the next time I won one that I had actually asked for!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Seems to be a trend. I just got a "congratulations" email from pool for namereserves.com. I never ordered this horrible name. My list is very small, and doesn't include "reg fee" names like this.

I wasn't charged because they said my cc info was not updated. Now if I update it, I'm going to be charged for this crappy name.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! :)

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Welcome to the club! :)
LOL Duke! The "ScrewedByPool" Club!

Where do I sign OUT???

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators