• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Pool must be bidding in its own auctions and running up prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
bidawinner said:
all it takes is a handful of you making the same complaint of conspiracy and fraud and they'll come a knocking on you knnow who's door.

It's amazing how many peope can get screwed and they go back for seconds and 3rds .

1. an investigation will only distract Pool for awhile --which will probably just help put more domains in the hands of Ult or BFD. Ultimately, it would uncover nothing and simply hurt the little guy that might occasionally get a domain from them at a reasonable price.

2. what's so amazing about it? we get screwed daily by Pool... what else are you supposed to do with a monopoly? You get slapped in the face and say "thank you, sir. May I have another?!"

-Wesley
 
I'm quite amazed by the allegations here; do you ppl realize this is prime material for a lawsuit? Either you file it, or expect Pool to do it for libel - unless you produce a stitch of evidence.

In the meantime, I will join in with my own paranoid conspiracy: UFO's snatch domains as WLS looms.
 
puravida said:
It's risky, so kids don't try this at home. But, I remember one that I spiked over $30K that one of them got... they almost let me have it ::eek::
It probably would've closed for around $20K otherwise. This in and of itself is a bid strategy designed to drain the wallet and make the next bid war tilt in your favor. However, in my experience; their wallets are just too deep for them to give a sh*t.
my 2cents.

There are some auction stategies going on here playing the rules of the game either for yourself or against your competitor. I have seen bids quickly rise on a name at pool beyond where I want to go. But if in the first hours there are several bids, I'll make one even if it's above where I want to go, confident I'll be outbid in the next 3 days. Why? Because the only way you can see the auction history and high proxy for a name at pool is if you have made an active bid to be high bidder at least once. That data of where bidders were willing to go with their proxy and what it was taken at is of some value to me in my own pricing.

I think some people bid up popular names just to see the market in general rise, thus making the rest of their portfolio value increase as well. If they accidentally become the winner on a few, no big deal because it now has perceived market value. especially if it gets publicity in forums, DNJournal, or the mainstream news channels.

Auctions are a lot like poker. You can not only win by having a good hand, but by bluffing your competitor into losing or blowing their bank account as well. Maybe even by distracting them from from some other name in another venue. I think this is why pool doesn't reveal who bidders are, because it would become even more of a war game.
 
timechange said:
I'm quite amazed by the allegations here; do you ppl realize this is prime material for a lawsuit? Either you file it, or expect Pool to do it for libel - unless you produce a stitch of evidence.

1. I don't think they would bother or care about this thread from their cushy little money-making factory.

2. We are free to speak our minds. Although this is debatable considering abuses of the law.

-Wesley
 
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever backordered a name through pool.com and had it not go to auction and payed only $60? It seems like they don't even bother with names unless lots of backorders are placed on it. I wonder if you backorder a name that nobody else would possibly want to backorder, if they would acquire it. LOL too bad I don't feel like giving them $60 to try.
 
They try all domains. Even $60 ones.
 
guile said:
It seems like they don't even bother with names unless lots of backorders are placed on it.
They got separated.net for me for $60. It even went to auction, but the other bidder decided not to join in.

~ Nexus
 
Nexus said:
They got separated.net for me for $60. It even went to auction, but the other bidder decided not to join in.

~ Nexus

I got SaltwaterAquarium.net yesterday for $60 and it was close to $100 on NW.

I've gotten 97 names at $60 without bidders since November, the majority being one word info's. In the same period, I've won 26 in auctions, mostly at <$100, and many at $60 where the other interested party never place a bid over my initial $60. I've had 29 lost auctions where I decided to stop because it got too high for my range.

Yes, you can get names for the minimum bid, but not premium .coms. I do however prefer to pay $8.75 at namewinner or $8.95 at Enom though rather than $60 at pool.
 
If you only look at the names on their front page or the daily hotlist, there will always be other bidders. I look for names a little more obscure, but that still have business value. You just can't expect to compete against others and get a $XXXX retail name for $60.

I don't fight the big boys, because I'll never win. I find the loopholes and work the expire systems to find things they overlook and don't overbid my resources. The ones I do get will keep me busy. I don't see any good fighting them since at the moment there are some other opportunities out there if you look hard enough and use the right tools (at least until WLS).
 
guile said:
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever backordered a name through pool.com and had it not go to auction and payed only $60? It seems like they don't even bother with names unless lots of backorders are placed on it. I wonder if you backorder a name that nobody else would possibly want to backorder, if they would acquire it. LOL too bad I don't feel like giving them $60 to try.

I have got a fair number.

-Bob
 
guile said:
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever backordered a name through pool.com and had it not go to auction and payed only $60? It seems like they don't even bother with names unless lots of backorders are placed on it. I wonder if you backorder a name that nobody else would possibly want to backorder, if they would acquire it. LOL too bad I don't feel like giving them $60 to try.

Yes. This is how I get most of my pool-caught domains (usually a few per week). I don't play in the auctions that run up to the thousands.
 
So no one is going to investigate the alligations?
 
how can one investigate this???

Suspicions? Of course.

I would guess, they play the ball, and If it doesnt reach a certain level, they give it to BFD for a fixed price.
But that is just another conspiracy theory...
 
I've stopped using Pool, if others do too then maybe they will rethink their business model.
 
timechange said:
I've stopped using Pool, if others do too then maybe they will rethink their business model.

I have also stopped.

ela re timchange!
you were such a pool supporter! :wink:
 
LOL

nai - till I got what I wanted (see sig).
 
If you really want a name, I guess you don't have much of a choice...
 
timechange said:
Post the proof here then. Anyone can allege anything. The way you phrase your statements above you are only asking to hear from Pool's lawyers.

The LAST thing pool wants is Lawyers involved.. ..
 
pool 60 $ :
globalforecast.com
videoton.com
igreeks.net
vantravel.com
body-weight.com
spotdomains.com

interesting bids...:

Bidding History for virtualjamaica.com

Bidder Max Bid Bid Date
177239 $2,802.00 2004-04-17 17:23:11
177239 $2,633.00 2004-04-17 17:21:53
You $2,500.00 2004-04-17 17:19:19
177239 $2,400.00 2004-04-17 17:20:30
177239 $2,300.00 2004-04-17 17:18:55
You $2,200.00 2004-04-17 17:19:09
177239 $2,100.00 2004-04-17 17:16:30
You $2,000.00 2004-04-17 17:18:00
You $1,700.00 2004-04-17 17:17:28
You $1,550.00 2004-04-17 17:14:38
You $1,500.00 2004-04-17 17:14:27
177240 $1,500.00 2004-04-17 17:10:20
177239 $1,400.00 2004-04-17 17:12:41
177239 $1,300.00 2004-04-17 17:12:24
177239 $1,200.00 2004-04-17 17:07:31
You $1,200.00 2004-04-17 17:03:16
177240 $1,100.00 2004-04-17 17:01:56
177240 $1,000.00 2004-04-17 17:01:28
You $1,000.00 2004-04-17 16:59:05
177240 $850.00 2004-04-17 17:00:43
177241 $650.00 2004-04-17 16:56:10
177240 $650.00 2004-04-17 16:55:03
177241 $600.00 2004-04-17 16:55:59
177241 $550.00 2004-04-17 16:55:19
You $500.00 2004-04-17 16:54:31
177241 $480.00 2004-04-17 16:55:01
177241 $460.00 2004-04-17 16:54:53
177241 $440.00 2004-04-17 16:54:45
177241 $420.00 2004-04-17 16:50:06
177241 $410.00 2004-04-17 16:49:56
You $400.00 2004-04-17 16:49:24
177241 $390.00 2004-04-17 16:49:30
177241 $370.00 2004-04-17 16:49:08
177241 $360.00 2004-04-17 16:49:00
177241 $350.00 2004-04-17 16:48:52
You $350.00 2004-04-17 16:48:45
177241 $330.00 2004-04-17 16:48:42
177241 $320.00 2004-04-17 16:48:03
177241 $310.00 2004-04-17 16:47:52
You $310.00 2004-04-17 16:47:26
177241 $290.00 2004-04-17 16:47:38
177241 $270.00 2004-04-17 16:44:11
177241 $260.00 2004-04-17 16:43:27
You $250.00 2004-04-17 00:50:16
177241 $242.00 2004-04-17 16:43:13
177235 $222.00 2004-04-16 20:39:40
You $200.00 2004-04-16 01:52:31
177226 $170.00 2004-04-16 16:18:04
177224 $150.00 2004-04-14 22:45:31
177240 $120.00 2004-04-15 20:15:04
You $100.00 2004-04-14 21:40:24
177233 $70.00 2004-04-14 21:17:13
177223 $60.00 2004-04-14 18:57:16
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom