Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

PPC Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys ...Traffic is the key though to making money from ppc se's - if you have the traffic to make ppc succeed you won't need to worry about minimum check levels as most of the better programs wouldn't want to accept you anyway if you had to worry about that in the first place. I don't know what level of revenue you'd be happy with, but typically traffic over 5k uniques a day would make ppc worthwhile...

Thanks for your reply and information, much appreciated. That's exactly the problem for most of us here - TRAFFIC! I seriouslly doubt if more than a fraction have websites getting 5,000 uniques a day. In fact, there may be only a small number who even get 500-day.

Personally, I have some successful websites which make good money and have done so for yrs selling financial products & services and they only get 50 to 150 uniques a day. In fact, I have been supporting myself and family since 1997 based on these low traffic levels and been 100% web-based with no other marketing or advertising for 5-yrs.

I always thught a site with a mere 150 uniques a day had good traffic - this is why I am so confused seeing the numbers used in these forums which dwarf my past expectations. This is why I do not understand why such heavy traffic as 5,000 uniques/day seems to be so important.

However, it seems high traffic needs are based on affiliate income rather than selling your own products/services. One big problem I have is having so many developed websites but only having products or services for sale on a fraction of them as I simply can't find products to sell on most of the sites, which is why I would love to turn to affilaite or ppc programs on many sites.

How much do you think it will take to buy an industry keyword domain with 5,000/day and also 50,000/day? Since it could increase my income by zillions of a percent, it may be a good idea, even if it means financing the purchase. I am open to offers from owners of sites with that much traffic.

The liklihood of you being able to buy a 5k uq/day domain is very low, but getting 500 x 10 uq/day or 50 x 100 uq/day is more realistic.

But as with anything, you need a consideration for your revenue. In the case of ppc its traffic just as with domain sales its desirability.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys The liklihood of you being able to buy a 5k uq/day domain is very low, but getting 500 x 10 uq/day or 50 x 100 uq/day is more realistic. But as with anything, you need a consideration for your revenue. In the case of ppc its traffic just as with domain sales its desirability.

Just wondering why it is difficult to buy a domain with 5,000/day? Does anyone here have one for sale, is so the price please??

Also, how does one verify the traffic stats? My experience has always been many greatly exagerate their traffic, often referring to hits, not uniques.

I have seen some who claim 10 hits to a page but there war really only 1 as there were 10 images on the page inflating the number by 10 fold.

P.S. Please safesys, I really respect you and your great knowledge and am wondering if you can suggest anything to generate even a little income from most of my low traffic websites which do not have products/services? Thanks. :)

You would need the 5,000 hits to come from type ins to make any high ticket purchase worthwhile - don't confuse a site with 5k uniques from links as being the same thing as those links can dry up leaving you with just the domain itself. I'd be surprised if any non prime domain had that kind of traffic level and wasn't being sold with a vanity price ticket to match.

I can't think of any worthwhile converters for low traffic non product specific sites - but if you did ramp your traffic overall then you could bring them into the fold too.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
The liklihood of you being able to buy a 5k uq/day domain is very low, but getting 500 x 10 uq/day or 50 x 100 uq/day is more realistic.

But as with anything, you need a consideration for your revenue. In the case of ppc its traffic just as with domain sales its desirability.

Excellent post and advice safesys! Your point is well taken. You could argue that any targeted domain which could generate 5000 uniques per day, would be better focused on selling actual product, rather than directed to a ppc affiliate program.

One should be able to convert 5000 uniques into buyers of your targeted good or service and yield a far greater profit than via ppc.

The 500 x 10 or 50 x 100 is a more interesting proposition. These sites might not be so worthwhile in product sales, but in aggregate could make quite a network for ppc. You would be looking at a $5K investment in regs fees alone, however, and might wait a long time to get back that in ppc income!

Apart from rumor, etc., does anyone really now if UltSearch, etc., is REALLY making significant revenue from their ppc se site(s)? Like any business, the upfront investment has to yield significant revenue, and I wonder if you can parlay 100,000 domains and associated costs into impressive revenues given the somewhat marginal traffic that some of the Ult names must return. Does Ult use their own ppc system (and have the associated admin costs) or work through another entity? (I use Ult only as an example of a large ppc directed site network).

Lastly, what's your view of highly targeted ppc se sites, vs. a more general site like your joinin.com? Wouldn't the % click through be greater for a (hypothetical) traveluk.tld site, etc., having links to uk related travel sites, than a much more general "pseudo" directory?

You can take it to the bank, absolutely cast iron guaranteed, that Ult is making an absolute killing from ppc revenue.

The advantage of general directories is that you don't have to second guess what your traffic is looking for - and you can get impulse searches. Of course, if the traffic to a domain is very specific, targetting those terms can improve ctr - but more specific terms tend to yield lower click values. Its a balancing act.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SafeSys,

In your discussion of key-ins vs. links, etc., you highlighted the worth of the former. Would you say that a 1 x 5000 uniques domain (which you'd figure score high on various metrics and yield a pretty key in ratio) be preferable to a bunch of lesser domains focused on one site?

Obviously, you'd have to pay a pretty penny nowadays for a high key in generic domain (unless the seller was daft). Yet, given your figure of 5000 uniques needed before findwhat or overture accept a site, how do you explain the relative poor overture scores of your sites (joinin and siteguide). Excellent names to be sure for your purposes, but you'd figure with very few key ins based on the super low overture figures.

Therefore, in the absence of key ins (too expensive to acquire the domain, etc.), wouldn't it be wiser to use any other techniques to brand your search site to try to get anywhere near 5000 uq/day.

For most domain owners, this would seem a wholely unattainable figure if your looking for pure uniques.

the 5k i quoted is for worthwile revenue from ppc - 5k won't get you into either fw or overture by a long margin.

i have lots of sites that get small traffic levels which adds together to something sizable but neither joinin nor siteguide are type in domains (well, joinin does get type ins but I think thats other domainers so its spurious). joinin is a hub site, siteguide is just a site i reference for the layout when discussing my sites.

As I've said over and over, for ppc you need traffic. How you get that traffic is up to you - type ins/links/marketing.

If you have domains with type ins then its more stable (generally) than relying on other sites (for links) and marketing.

Nobody said getting traffic was easy, as with anything in domains - you get revenue for the work you put in.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
safesys,

I'm just arguing for 5000 uniques directed towards product being more lucrative as vs. PPC. With that much traffic (if targeted) why give it away for less revenue?

I agree namebox, its just that my original post was specifically relating to making money from ppc and not about what you could do with traffic in other scenarios's - targetted or general.

You have to consider administration, development and other factors too - which is why ppc is generally favoured by domain holders with large inherent traffic.

Originally posted by RealNames

Just wondering why it is difficult to buy a domain with 5,000/day? Does anyone here have one for sale, is so the price please??

In my opinion there aren't many domains like that around, unless you're after names with old search engine traffic/ old sites or something similar where the traffic is going to fall over time. Maybe then you could get that kind of traffic but as far as generics domain go with true type ins there aren't many in my view-maybe a couple of hundred at a guess, probably not even that many. I think I've only ever seen one or two true generic names with that kind of traffic for sale. When your talking about those kinds of names your talking about names like 'drugs.com' and 'tits.com' and similar.

domingo

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My Choice for PPC program is FindWhat.com. Although I uses TargetWords.com too becuase they pay earlier than FindWhat.com and they use more search engines. If you have large amount of traffic than go with FindWhat.com and at the same time experiment with Targetwords.com

One important thing about both the programs, is the level of support. I rate both of them A+, excellent always.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy In my opinion there aren't many domains like that around, unless you're after names with old search engine traffic/ old sites or something similar where the traffic is going to fall over time. Maybe then you could get that kind of traffic but as far as generics domain go with true type ins there aren't many in my view-maybe a couple of hundred at a guess, probably not even that many. I think I've only ever seen one or two true generic names with that kind of traffic for sale. When your talking about those kinds of names your talking about names like 'drugs.com' and 'tits.com' and similar.

Yes, I am sure names with 5,000 uniques/day are rare. It's also very odd why I have seen so many great names which likely would get heavy type-in traffic that have no active website.

I can't recall those names now but I have seen superb one word domains that were reg'd as long ago as the mid 1990's with no developed website.

That fact is one of the most amazing things about the Internet. Anyone who has such a great domain and lets it languish undeveloped for so many yrs need their head examined or is just plain stupid. :confused:

Has anyone else here ran across undeveloped but great domains, if so do you recall the names?

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domingo
My Choice for PPC program is FindWhat.com. Although I uses TargetWords.com too becuase they pay earlier than FindWhat.com and they use more search engines. If you have large amount of traffic than go with FindWhat.com and at the same time experiment with Targetwords.com

One important thing about both the programs, is the level of support. I rate both of them A+, excellent always.

Tanx for the tip Domingo. I didn't know about TargetWords.com. It's a nice looking site, too.

I've just started with 7Search.com on my sales page. I'll try TargetWords.com on a couple of my other live sites.

Tanx again... Peace.

quack :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys You would need the 5,000 hits to come from type ins to make any high ticket purchase worthwhile - don't confuse a site with 5k uniques from links as being the same thing as those links can dry up leaving you with just the domain itself. I'd be surprised if any non prime domain had that kind of traffic level and wasn't being sold with a vanity price ticket to match. I can't think of any worthwhile converters for low traffic non product specific sites - but if you did ramp your traffic overall then you could bring them into the fold too.

Can anyone here think of ways to make any worthwhile money with LESS than 5,000 type-ins per day? :confused: Feedback please for everyone's benefit.

Originally posted by RealNames

Can anyone here think of ways to make any worthwhile money with LESS than 5,000 type-ins per day? :confused: Feedback please for everyone's benefit.

7search.com, and maybe some of the other search programs listed above, just depends how far below 5000 per day your traffic is. Lots of ok affiliates around also, mobile phones, dating, browser cleaners etc. Its just a matter of having a scout around and finding out which ones perform well and pay.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Snoopy,

Have you come across a good mobile phone affiliate program? Haven't seen to many .... please let me know.

namebox, idscellular.com is the best one around in my view, in terms of payment and conversion.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames is in a position MOST webmasters are..they simply do not have the traffic because ..

A: the TRUE type-in domains that could generate 5,000 hits a day are long gon.

B: Most(I lead that category) dont have the time ,energy or talents to generate a content rich site that would generate that much traffic from links or word of mouth..and Pay for posiition is not cost effictive for PPC programs(usually..there are exceptions)

I was in the similiar position a few years ago and realized trying to get there at 1/4 penny a click just wasnt going to cut it..and started concentrating on actually selling PRODUCT..a few dollars per sale and you can actually see progress when you are only getting 20 hits a day.

20 hits a day and you can be making $40 or more per web site per month..

That is the path I took .. alot of small web sites .nothing complicated..you dont need a lot of talent..just the ability to build a basic web site X 10 X 20 X 100 or more ..

the most inexpensive hosting you can find and thats really it..

I sell Posters but the product dosent matter.. I stay away from high ticket items because peple are still hesitant about sending large sums over the internet..(which is rather amusing actually..if you are sending $20 for a poster or $200 for a watch dosent matter...they arent grabbing that money..they would be grabbing the CC #'s)

It is really simply about finding a product that you want sell, that there is a demand for , that you can get good keyword domains for cheap and of course that their are high commissions on sales.

But most imporatant IMO.is a product that has a wide range of possible keyword possibilites..

snoopy's idscellular.com may be an excellent program but just imagine trying to compete for position in the SE's over basically a few keywords for "cell phones"..
Think about that for a second.. lets say conservatively you have 1000 small time (and some big boys) all competing for position for cell phones..what page do you think you can get on ? 5th 20th ..well you already know that unless you are on page 1 possibly page 2 ..you simply wont get any traffic...can you break "cell phones" down and still get targeted traffic?

With my posters sales for example..

If all I did was try and sell "Posters" I'd be up the creek without a paddle as they say..

there are literally thousands of webmasters competing for "Posters" (position on the se's) remember thats what this discussion is all about..you DONT have a domain that gets 5000 hits a day..your only real choice is SE placement..meaning no further down than page 2..

Ok, so maybe I dont place well for "posters" (yet, anyways)

thats fine because I can break that product line down to specific targets within the overall market..

Baseball Posters
Golf Posters
Basketball Posters
Vintage Posters
Music Posters
Movie Posters
Hockey Posters

Shaq Posters
Iverson Posters (Ummmm wanted posters ! lol)

Wanted Posters

Greenbay Packers Posters
Britney Spears posters etc....

I can and do place well in most of these.

You dont need 5000 hits ..you need 20 TARGETED hits..

You say ..hey thats fine and all but you cant afford 20 hosting plans..sure you can.I never pay more than $2 a month for hosting(in fact I use Free hosting on about 1/3 of my sites) .. EVERY one of my sites is profitable..

So my advise to realnames (he has heard this before) or anyone in a similiar position ... concentrate on products that can be broken up into smaller units--err specif targets that you dont necessairly need thousands of hits.. still do very well ..

Product line examples..

Watches
mens watches
womens watches
kids watches
pocket watches
sport watches
Rolex Watches
Swiss Watches etc..

I prefer to make each line it's own web site..
but you can simply start by adding pages

I have had excellent results using sub-domains also.

like for example..(not spamming..no one here cares about buying posters from me ..just to show what you can do with small amounts of traffic)

nascar.posters-posters.com/
wrestlingposters.posters-posters.com
spiderman.posters-posters.com

safesys said "Nobody said getting traffic was easy, as with anything in domains - you get revenue for the work you put in."

I agree a thousand percent..you have to really put forth the effort or you're simply just spinning your wheels..Type-in traffic simply makes the job easire..thats all..

BID

bidawinner,

I have used it with popup's for general traffic conversion which its seems to do well, I wasn't referrering to s/e listings. Though other people here have done well in exactly that area, genki for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators