Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Previous owner wants domain back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaysia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
giving back free? then whats the point of acquiring the drop domain.. then those domains at snapnames, pool that drop the previous owner comes n claims back n we have to give back?? even though we pay liek 10 k or 5k for it.. i dont think so

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I previously owned All dropped names on the market before they expired so if everyone would be so kind to freely give me all the dropped names they caught, that would be super - Thank You for your Time & Effort to look out for me. :)

PS: More will be dropping as time goes on so just forward those too.

PPS: I wish. :p

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, Nostra and I will collect them so please push all drops to one of us.

-=DCG=-

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is what confuses me.

If I catch a domain, do I surrender it to Nostra or DCG?

They both seem sincere in their request. And, I surely don't want to profit from
their accidental loss.

This is going to keep me up at night.

:decision:

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
anton#1 said:
Since I deal with expired domains I'm frequently asked by the previous owner to give the domain back.

I used to be quite lenient and transfer those names against cost.

Since this is happening more and more often I recently started asking an adminstration fee of $50.

What does the forum think about this?

If you don't pay your rent, you get evicted and a new tenant moves in. An expired domain is no different. You are lenient.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
If you don't pay your rent, you get evicted and a new tenant moves in. An expired domain is no different. You are lenient.
There you go in a nutshell. It doesn't get more succinct than this.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The same analogy i usually use when replying as well ;)

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huh? Why give the domains back at all? You are under no obligation to return the domains once they have expired - sell it back to them at your desired asking price... its fair game.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, double what you want even haha

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Here is what confuses me.

If I catch a domain, do I surrender it to Nostra or DCG?

They both seem sincere in their request. And, I surely don't want to profit from
their accidental loss.

This is going to keep me up at night.

:decision:

tell ya what....just send them to me...and I will dvidide them up equally...taking my share of course as a nominal fee. :p

//everydayprofit

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't mix business with emotion, those two will not agree with each other. I have rented real property also and believe me it's the same thing, emotions and and stories but emotions don't pay the light bill. Charity and emotion has it's place but not with business deals. Cheers,

Acro

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Whatever you think the name is worth...triple the price. You have a targeted buyer here. I cannot think of one legitimate reason to cut them any slack. You can cut breaks to people in your daily life all of the time....that is fun to do. Unless you are running a charity then I would charge at least double the normal price if you believe the person once owned the name.

The day I sell any name I ever own for $100 to someone who contacts me unsolicited about a name is the day I quit forever.....you don't have to be able to dunk the ball, but you should at least be able to make a layup. I might let that name go for a few dollars on this board if I am in the mood, but anyone who contacts me is gonna have to pay me off. I would rather make 1/3 less sales at triple the price....you get the same amount of money, and you end up with more names for yourself.

Save the charity for people you can see in person.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
Whatever you think the name is worth...triple the price. You have a targeted buyer here. I cannot think of one legitimate reason to cut them any slack. You can cut breaks to people in your daily life all of the time....that is fun to do. Unless you are running a charity then I would charge at least double the normal price if you believe the person once owned the name.

The day I sell any name I ever own for $100 to someone who contacts me unsolicited about a name is the day I quit forever.....you don't have to be able to dunk the ball, but you should at least be able to make a layup. I might let that name go for a few dollars on this board if I am in the mood, but anyone who contacts me is gonna have to pay me off. I would rather make 1/3 less sales at triple the price....you get the same amount of money, and you end up with more names for yourself.

Save the charity for people you can see in person.

Actually, it would depend on whether the name is really for charity (note, there's difference between non-profit and charity), suppose the name is for a foodaid or Redcross organization, it wouldn't harm to give it back for free or at costs.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To add a twist - how about finding the previous registrant and offering it to them ?
If they're not domain savvy they might want it back but not know how to go about it.

Jas

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the moment they become hostile... i renew the domain for few more years.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pelican said:
the moment they become hostile... i renew the domain for few more years.

I love that!

-=DCG=- :canada:

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am probably prepared to drop to around 40-60% of my target price if necessary to come to a deal.

This normally works out at between $200 and $400.

It is probably also equivalent to around 100 to 200 years income or more

It works for me.

From another angle, I can normally persuade myself it is justifiable to charge the redemption fee to return a name. This obviously varies between $90 and $200 and depends upon which registrar is most appropriate for the amount I want to charge ;-)

3dwealth

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a GREAT domain YEARS ago but I got rid of AOL before changing my e-mail address - that was before the web was what it is ... LOL and I STILL show as the owner .... the registrar has never released it.

Tried for a very long time to get the domain to my new e-mail address - but the registrar has never returned any contact ...

Anyone know any "secrets"?

anton#1 said:
People forget to update their email address in the whois. All those reminders don't arrive.

But still ..., their domain is offline for at least one month before auctioned off. One month no email on the domain address, one month not visiting their own domain on the web ...

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when you've invested your time into finding a dropped domain then it goes without saying that you wont let your sweat go into waste. therefore whoever claims the ownership of the domain should be prepared to pay as much as you ask for it!! there is nothing like free lunch!!

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
3dwealth said:
I had a GREAT domain YEARS ago but I got rid of AOL before changing my e-mail address - that was before the web was what it is ... LOL and I STILL show as the owner .... the registrar has never released it.

Tried for a very long time to get the domain to my new e-mail address - but the registrar has never returned any contact ...

Anyone know any "secrets"?

Sign up for a free AOL account and get the old email address back. If you can't do that, send an email to that email address and tell the person your story. Maybe they would help you get access by forwarding any emails from the registrar.

Be persistant and offer the person some money or a share in the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators