Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Reasons to own a dot-ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Part of my business plan is that I will get quality traffic by simply owning the proper dot-ca's.

A list of good reasons to own dot-ca's should be compiled and could be for a lot of uses, so please contribute and we'll put something together. Maybe we can even get it to CIRA.

1. When people go to vase.ca or ornament.ca, they know they are going to a Canadian site. They can buy a vase or ornament and not have to pay expensive shipping, duties and customs brokerage.

2. When I do a search in Google.ca (I am automatically directed to that even when I type in Google.com), dot-ca's seem to get higher rankings, especially if it is a product.

3. There are still quality names available at reasonable prices.

4. Buying from a Canadian website keeps money in Canada, creating jobs and keeping jobs, which benefits us all.

Can anyone add to the above?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Canada is constantly growing (immigration), there is lots of wealth coming into Canada...and as the United States gets packed with people many are coming to Canada to venture their new businesses.

This is a strong positive for .ca growth in the future.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Germany and the UK have less than 10 people per .de and .uk domain registered, in Canada, the ratio is 30 people to each domain registered. I think the gap will be closed, which means more people registering domains, and quality .ca's becoming harder to find over time.

The USA and .us have a worse ratio than Canada, but .us just hasn't been accepted in a big way down there, so it's not a good comparison. .de and .uk are probably similar in their respective countries to how .ca is in Canada.

The big reason for .ca being a good bet though is that it is used everywhere, and people are used to it now.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i would own ca's if i could

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I think that says it right there...that the .CA brand has a good reputation. I just came up with a good thought...what if CIRA could make an official subdomain for people outside of Canada? They could then open the market to the .CA brand to the rest of the world and they could keep it "separate" from actual CANADIAN sites. For someone or a business outside of Canada that wants a Canadian identity, this could work great.

Example could be myeuropeancanadianwebsite.exp.ca (exp for export...or whatever they choose)

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How would that increase the value for us canadian domainers?

If they can't buy our domains anyway.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of an interim solution. In the end that could help judge the potential of the registry on a global market. I think you would see a slight increase in value because all of the domains that you own would not be ranked as subdomains. In the future after they've successfully sold a certain amount of international domains under the .CA brand as well as original .CA domains (to Canadians), then they could better judge the impact of opening up the full registry to the world.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The day this is allowed is the day I move out of Canada. The whole reason we have subdomains on the .CA registry is for the provinces and until Quebec moves out of Canada, this should not be allowed. Maybe I should ask ICANN for my own registry since I govern myself.

Anyhow to get back on topic...

I think some good reasons to own a .CA are:

1. Canadian Identity
2. Quality names are still available
3. CIRA runs a proper registry and trusting registry (whether we will admit that or not with their rules)
4. Worldwide recognition
5. Pricing is competitive with other markets

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well Spain has .es and .cat no ?

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
3. CIRA runs a proper registry and trusting registry (whether we will admit that or not with their rules)

This is an important thing. I realize that alot of people hate the cira aspect of things, but in this central kind of setup, you can't ever have some of the problems in the .com world where different registrars can arbitrarily pull your name, hold it hostage, have different grace/delete periods, or have them keep the premium names when you don't renew, etc....

Plus I like the fact that when going to a .ca, you know that it's likely Canadian. Personally, I feel opening up to worldwide registration only benefits the reseller. It'll hurt the Canadian internet landscape in the long run.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.cat is for the Catelonians is it not? I don't see many Canadians outside of Quebec exactly cheering a .qc extension - it seems to suggest greater independence without the necessary political/legal course taking place first.

Reasons to own and use a .ca:
1)recognized by Canadians from coast to coast
2)business including multinationals have taken right to the extension with the majority using a .ca even if they have a .com
3)as a Canadian shopping on a .ca I know(or at least should be) I am dealing with a Canadian thus my legal/financial recourse is strong should problems arise
4)the google element as noted earlier - when selecting "pages from Canada", .ca's rocket to the top of the results.
5)parking companies pay well for Canadian traffic

Last edited:

revolution1

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I saw that article about .qc i hope they just shut up and seperate already, see how well they fare without any of Canada catering to them. Ridiculous if you ask me, nice area but full of political and ideological bs.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reasons to own a dot-ca

because you can :)
Some products/services are meant for Canadians exclusively...banking, insurance etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators