Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

registrar transfer out of godaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I requested the transfer (godaddy - losing, registerfly - gaining) of a domain two days ago, approved the transfer, and this is what I got today from godaddy:

'Dear Customer,

This is to confirm that you have cancelled the request to transfer your
domain name xxxxx.tld to another registrar.

The status of your domain name has been updated and is now active.

Please contact Go Daddy Software for additional assistance.

Regards,

Domain Services'

Has anyone had similar experience?

Domain summit 2024

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you succeed with the transer ... look at the transfer fee ... they charge.

:)

I had the same problem when I moved 20 of by names from them. It took nearly three times before it worked

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
3 times is the charm, I guess. I wonder who's going to pay for my transfer requests..

Not unusual. We generally have to submit transfers 2-3 times before they "take," with many of the popular domain registrars. It seems the SOP is to deny it a couple of times and make sure the user is really serious.

Adding insult to injury, Joker now requires you to initiate the transfer on their site by pre-authorizing it, then you have 5 days to initiate the transfer at the gaining registrar and authorize it. If you should miss the deadline for whatever reason, you have to wait till the transfer times out and start over again.

-t

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the way joker handles the transfers seems to make more sense to me. I actually have a few domains with them and never had any problems

Originally posted by uncle
the way joker handles the transfers seems to make more sense to me. I actually have a few domains with them and never had any problems
You realize this is a brand new policy. Unless you've transferred a domain in the last few weeks you have not seen this in practice.

So far, it's not a smooth operating machine by any means. CORE is talking to Joker about it - but so far have not been able to make any progress on making a change...

-t

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I sold a domain that was registered with GoDaddy. And being a medium sized, offline company that approached me. Who never purchased a domain before. Decided to follow GoDaddy's "change ownership policy". So I was sent a 8 page booklet with numerous things to fill out! Was required to send ID to both GoDaddy and the company. Along with hirign a lawyer to sign something (forget what it was), all just to transfer the domain. Plus pay $10. There f*cking crazy!

Finally, I decided it wasn't worth my time. So I just transferred the domain to PowerPipe, and when the transfer to the new registrar was complete. Took ten seconds to tranfer the domain ownership to the company. And for free I might add!

Main, and only reason why I left GoDaddy...for good!

I only sold 1 domain with GoDaddy, but it was in the thou$ands. Back then (2000) GD had a $49.95 fee plus the paperwork. The purchasing party was in the UK. Didn't have any problems but I definitely changed registrar for my reselling business (Stargate).

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. Charging transfer fees is ridiculous when names are being sold for $100 and less.

Time Go Daddy wakes up to the fact.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just completed a transfer of a domain to a purchaser online at no cost instantly.

The domain was registerd with GKG, the same registrar FineE is a reseller for.

On thing to watch here if a registrar has high change of registrant fees and people get around them by transfering to other registrars then in order to collect the fees they may try to obstruct the transfer, and you may lose the sale or even worse lose the sale and be liable to the purchaser for breach of contract.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am still in the middle of the registrar transfer. had to contact godaddy's support to get it started.

as to ownership transfers, it's a major pain. That's the reason I will never register any domains with them any more. I used to think godaddy catered to speculators, but since they make it difficult to sell, there's no point dealing with them

Originally posted by uncle
I requested the transfer (godaddy - losing, registerfly - gaining) of a domain two days ago, approved the transfer, and this is what I got today from godaddy:

'Dear Customer,

This is to confirm that you have cancelled the request to transfer your
domain name ************.COM to another registrar.

The status of your domain name has been updated and is now active.

Please contact Go Daddy Software for additional assistance.

Regards,

Domain Services'

Has anyone had similar experience?

I hate this registrar.

Register fly will charge for an attempt to transfer it regardless of if it is a success or not. The fly is great as long as the transfer goes through the first time. Fly double billed us on an attempt to move a name in that 'buydomains' claimed was flagged to transfer. Then because of expiration date a few days away we had no choice but to renew at buydomains. Fly not so cheap when you end up paying for 2 failed attempts to transfer in and then double that amount to renew at the more expensive registrar. Check that credit card statement really close if using the fly. Currently we have $100 to $150 in dispute over faulty charges. They may fly through registration but are like caught in fly paper when it comes to explaining and making card charges corrected. Hopefully you wont have this experience with Fly

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
yeah, I've been charged for failed transfers to registerfly before, too. Very nice of them. Quick to charge for failed transfres, slow at answering tickets.

as to godaddy, like I said, never again.

to their defense can be said though, it's not easy to get your domain hijacked, which normally is pretty easy to do

Since it can take 3,4 and even 5 attempts at a transfer before they go through, they are expensive to process. We don't make any money on a typical transfer. If we ultimately cannot get them to go through, we provide a full refund as well.

I can see where some companies would charge for each attempt. I can also see where transfer fees in excess of renewal fees are coming back at some places.

With companies like Joker now requiring that the user first perform a "transfer is coming" transaction on the Joker site before they initiate a transfer at the gaining registrar, you can be guaranteed that these will fail at least once. The timing/timeout of these transfers is critical enough that they often fail twice - just because of when the different pieces of the puzzle were invoked!

-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators