Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

legal Scammer who wants to sell an "Available" domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDEXPERTS

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello peers,
Here is another type of scam.
I own exampleDomain.com and this person wants to sell me exampleDomain.at which is actually available to register.
I receive these type of scams almost everyday.
I actually send them a reply that I am interested and they register the domain once i show them the interest and reply with a Sedo link and a buy it now price of $3k.

Moral of the story: Even if you are interested in buying this domain from them, first check if they are Available to register.

hbdhvo 1536588865@qq.com
Mar 17 (7 days ago)

to buy
Dear Sirs,

We have "xxxxxxxxxx.co.uk" and consider selling it out .If you are interested, please contact with me.Thanks

Best Regards,

Alice

Me xxxx@xxxxxx.com
Mar 17 (7 days ago)

to hbdhvo
How much ?

Sent from my iPhone

王忠海 1816338@qq.com
Mar 19 (5 days ago)

to me
Dear Sir ,

Thank you for your are interest in xxxxxxx.co.uk and
select the will make your business to new heights!

We can give a fair price for 2000 USD and finish the transaction through SEDO.com a international Domain trade agency, You also could make your offer at
http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?domain=xxxxxxx.co.uk

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Alice

薇40
8:37 PM (14 hours ago)

to buy
Dear Sir,

We have www.xxxxxxxxxx.at and found that the domain
is pretty useful for you to explore market. If you choose to,
you can "brand" your business in internet.

Please let me know if you are interested. We could give
a fair price and finish the transaction through escrow.com
or sedo.com a international Domain trade agency ! Other you
can make offer in this domain name !

Last I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards.

Rose

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great idea, when they catch on about .at not having a grace period and decide to switch to another (g/cc)TLD that does, refer to:

http://www.opensrs.com/docs/tld_reference.pdf (might be a better source as it shows grace periods of 30 days, don't know if this is at the registrar or registries level) & http://www.dynadot.com/domain/grace_deletion.html (shows prices to delete at Dynadot) to see what the period is.

Check the grace period (hours/days in which they can have a slight refund) and toy with them that long if it's worth it to have a laugh.

Soon as they registered so many shitty names and notice a trend, this scam will cease on the domainer level.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why not reg it (assuming it its avail.) and put it up for sale with a low BIN price in the $xxx range sedo/GD.

Then tell them you really want it... I wonder if they would buy it for $xxx (from you unknowingly) and then try to sell it to you.

Oh course you would have changed your mind at that point. and they just got stuck buying the name for $xxx, lol

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why not reg it (assuming it its avail.) and put it up for sale with a low BIN price in the $xxx range sedo/GD.

Then tell them you really want it... I wonder if they would buy it for $xxx (from you unknowingly) and then try to sell it to you.

Oh course you would have changed your mind at that point. and they just got stuck buying the name for $xxx, lol
Good idea but somewhat flawed. GD takes forever to verify funds. If you can toy with them long enough...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, I always do that, that's how I decided to get my full name.com - they offered to sell it to me for $500 - I went to my registrar and registered it for $10. :D
Yes...don't anyone tell this bozo about our knowledge that the name is not registered. Be patient and he will try to sell a pretty decent name available for reg fee. :eek:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good idea but somewhat flawed. GD takes forever to verify funds. If you can toy with them long enough...
Doubtful it has changed but GD used to make you wait a minimum of 30 days for payout. That was quite a hefty sum of money they were parking and collecting short term interest money on. Your money, their gain. Aside from the non-payers, their withholding payment was the primary reason I stopped selling on GD.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're in the domain name business long enough and maintain a number of domains (10, 100, 1000+), this will not surprise you.
At least someone is checking your portfolio. :)

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Agreed, always nice to play with them. But gotta stick up for GD on this one. I've sold 7 names this month through them (auction & premium), been paid for 6 so far. (#7 one will come through in a couple of days, had an issue on my end). Make sure you setup your electronic transfer with them, and set it as the default payment method, will speed things up a lot.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends, but last Premium I sold on GD took about a week to get paid.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same here. Last time, I sold domains at GD took a week to complete. Maybe price is also a factor, I sold under $5K only.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And it's been a while, maybe they changed.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just sold one (GD Premium) yesterday so lets see how long it takes

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just sold one (GD Premium) yesterday so lets see how long it takes

Don't quote me, but if it's under $3k, it's released on the 5th of the following month (Apr. 5th)... but it has taken anywhere from 6 to 36 days to get funds. :rolleyes:

Even then, I had to fight for them to not withhold taxes as I'm overseas... which may have made it take longer. You being a CA citizen, I don't know what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators