Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker Security Breach at Moniker

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Final straw for me. I'm now locked out of my account because I can't remember my security answers I setup 9 years ago.

Moniker’s Operations & Security team has discovered and blocked suspicious activity on the Moniker network that appears to have been a coordinated attempt to access a number of Moniker user accounts.

As a precaution to protect your domains, we have decided to implement a system-wide password reset. Please read the below instructions to create a new password. You will not be able to access your Moniker account until these steps are taken.

In our security investigation, we have found no evidence that domains have been lost or transferred out. We also have no evidence that any confidential or credit card information has been compromised.

While our password encryption measures are robust, we are taking additional steps to ensure that your personal data and domains remain secure. This means that, to be absolutely sure of the security of your account, we are requiring all users to reset their Moniker account passwords.
Please reset your password by following the directions below.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this legit, got this email, looked like a scam, tried to log into my moniker account, my password has been changed

patents

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Got the same email. Tried to login, tried to reset password, tried to call the 800 number, pressed one for support and then... The number is not in service. Please try again. Hopefully, someone at Moniker will be able to respond here as to how we can get access to our accounts. Edit: third attempt on phone help was successful. Password reset and I'm back into our account.

Last edited:

jelly

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is this legit, got this email, looked like a scam, tried to log into my moniker account, my password has been changed

It seems legit...I got the email and logging in with my old password didn't work or redirect me, so I did the forgot password thing. They sent a link to answer security questions, and I reset the password.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
reset password has not worked for me, got the notification email re. security breach though..

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@BLazeD - You are not alone.

LLLL.COM

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Password reset not work, secret answers also not acceptable and now I can't use Moniker. Many my websites under Moniker.
So strange.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am very concerned. I notified them about a major and pretty severe security issue with another Keydrive company (Moniker sister company) in November last year. I got an answer, but nothing happened and the issue persists. I am seriously considering taking all my domains out of Moniker unless they not only talk about a good solution, but also prove to me that they fixed the issues. I am happy to help them out with technical advice, but since Keydrive not having their security under control is costing me money, no more free consultancy.

Last edited:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't worked for me as well. I forgot the answer to the security question.
They seem to ask random security questions. I got asked what my name is. I know my name, but the answer was not accepted. I had to spend 20 minutes on the phone (and the 800 number is not free from the Netherlands) te resolve the issue.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It looks like Keydrive Group in Luxembourg actually owns Moniker, SnapNames and Namedrive among others. And I use all three. Does anybody know if the breach affected SnapNames or Namedrive also ?

And I had read recently on NamePros that Oversee.net had actually been hacked (not sure if Moniker was still part of that co when that occurred....) and I was not notified by Oversee.net about that at the time, they own DomainSponsor and I park with them

:suspicious:

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They just rejected a bunch of transfers, too.

The only domains I am keeping with them right now are .us domains - they're several dollars less than anyone else, even after the best GD codes.

Last edited:

JamesBooth

www.BQDN.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jesus, I dont know my account number....

Now the email has gone from my email account?!?!

Simply vanished.

Can anyone help me?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
James, do a search in your mailbox for Moniker emails, the account # appears there sometimes, you may also have a username (you can have both w/Moniker and use them interchangeably at sign-in, both are accepted)

As to the email not being in your mailbox anymore, all it told you was to go to Moniker.com, enter username or account #, and then pretend you forgot your password. After that you'll be taken to another screen and sent a special code to enter on the next page, and then you can choose a new password. I'm going to be doing this myself right away. That page will apparently ask you some security questions too (from reading previous comments)

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had read on NamePros just recently that Oversee.net had actually been hacked while Moniker was still part of that co, and I was never notified by Moniker about that at the time

:suspicious:
Yes, this is related to the Linode hack. Maybe they are not even aware...

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the Linode hack about?

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are taking steps to protect everyone's domains. Our support team is ready to help with any problems with re-setting passwords. Our number is 800 688 6311.

Thank you and we appreciate your business

Marti Johnson
[email protected]

Moniker’s Operations & Security team has discovered and blocked suspicious activity on the Moniker network that appears to have been a coordinated attempt to access a number of Moniker user accounts.

As a precaution to protect your domains, we have decided to implement a system-wide password reset. Please read the below instructions to create a new password. You will not be able to access your Moniker account until these steps are taken.

In our security investigation, we have found no evidence that domains have been lost or transferred out. We also have no evidence that any confidential or credit card information has been compromised.

While our password encryption measures are robust, we are taking additional steps to ensure that your personal data and domains remain secure. This means that, to be absolutely sure of the security of your account, we are requiring all users to reset their Moniker account passwords

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Marti

How about answering email support requests, not everyone lives in the US

JamesBooth

www.BQDN.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am furious! Just spent 10 minutes calling Moniker from Singapore on my mobile! Guys says he will send email through with new password and 1 hour later still nothing. This is ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom