Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

SnapNames.com Review this Drop Catcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

impactadmin

Simply place FREE "back-orders" with us for your ideal domain names.

No Risk: It costs nothing to place a back-order. You pay our low minimum acquisition fee of $60 only if we are able to deliver the domain name to you.

Preferred Access: As a SnapNames customer, you gain access to the most valuable domain names from the world's largest registrars before they are available anywhere else.

Domain summit 2024

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Snapnames is my favorite service for drop catching, mostly because they have the names I want. Another nice feature is when someone places a bid on a name with under six minutes left in the auction, the auction will restart the clock for something like nice more minutes. This gives the other party ample opportunity to place another bid for that name. I'd like to seem them drop the price like Namewinner because it's the competition that drives the price, not the starting value.

Azam.net

Azam Marketing, Inc.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good for other TLDs, but don't use them for .de domain names if you are an English speaker as their German partners have the worst interface I have ever seen. It is translated into impossible-to-understand 'English' and just a simple function, like changing whois information, can end up taking you an hour.

forumrating

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they are quick, i just dint want a domain name to process and reply was in 10 mins, fast and good service by snap names very much appreciated

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are not very wealthy, you have no shot at getting a decent name. You need to be prepared to spend mid $xxxx for a avg to decent name. There are any number of regulars who bid up each and every name. Service is very good for the rich companies who already have 1000's of great names...not so good for the small company or avg. domainer.

That being said...if there is an obscure name that no one but you wants...snap names is really the best...and you will get the name for $60 bucks.

flybuzz

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how much more time do they give if bid in the last minute?

SuperNova

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you onward. I have experienced the same thing. Within 10 minutes of the opening of an auction the name is already bid up to low xxxx to mid xxxx and it is the same 3 or 4 bidders on each auction fighting against each other. The little guy has no chance.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Capital is a must if you want to compete in these auctions, but as MG says, you can find some bargains. The more domains you backorder, the more likely you'll grab one at a price your willing to pay.

elitedomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I was just saying on another thread, these guys and thier cohorts (co-conspirators is probably more apt) Pool and ENOM destroyed any chance of a normal person having any hope whatsoever of getting anything decent.

I remember back when Snapnames began, you could actually get a decent name for 60 bucks if you worked hard and went through the expiring list right when they published it because it was first come, first serve and once you put your reservation on a domain that was it- if Snapnames caught it, it was yours, no bidding.

I used to set my alarm clock for 5 AM or whatever it was and hit refresh every second until the daily expiring list appeared live as they published it at the same time each morning. Once these greedy bastards realized they could snatch all the good domains for themselves and castoff the rest via an auction system to basically 3 people- benfranklin, saggydimes and vaxis and maybe 1 or 2 others, that was the end.

Why does'nt some enterprising group of domainers band together and form an LLC to pony up the money for a registrars licence and give a share of the company to some Cal-Tech or MIT grad to come up with a kick-ass algo and put a hurting on these bloodsuckers?

Try-Searching.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why does'nt some enterprising group of domainers band together and form an LLC to pony up the money for a registrars licence and give a share of the company to some Cal-Tech or MIT grad to come up with a kick-ass algo and put a hurting on these bloodsuckers?

the problem with that is "greed", that company will get too hungry for the money and then they will just become another one of them, its happening thru the entire industry,

Adventure

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of the very best names in our portfolio came from SnapNames, and we have a very modest budget. Their people are top-notch.

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hate Snapnames' interface.

For instance I want a list of the names in the Traffic 2009 Moniker auction. I go to https://www.snapnames.com/store/extended.action# and I can view up to 500 names at a time. There is a link to download as a csv and it idiotically won't let me download all 2000 names in the auction to excel. It actually only downloads the 500 names shown on the page. What is the use of that? I can copy and paste them from my browser anyway.

Excel 2007 can handle up to 1 million rows of data, but snapnames, only lets you download up to 500. How idiotic!

Another thing is, each time I want to view another page of 500 domains in Firefox, the processor goes up to 100% and I have to wait several minutes before I can see the page. I suppose they can't be bothered to support Firefox properly (just like Domainsponsor doesn't support Firefox).

kokopelli

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Snapnames is OK, and I have won some nice domains through them in the past.

But what I really hate about their system is their partnerships with bad registrars, to which your domain gets allocated afterwards, without you having any say in the matter. Then, later on, when you want to have the domain transferred out to another registrar, you get no cooperation, have to play games, etc.

Case in point: http://webbusiness.biz (yeah, that's their home page and web interface!) - I have had no joy or cooperation from them now for days, trying to get a domain unlocked/auth. code sent/private WHOIS lifted, and have gone so far as to report them to ICANN. Will have to wait and see what happens ... but I, for one, will not use Snapnames again, until they start partnering with more reputable registrars, and are able to tell me beforehand who that will be, should I be successful in backordering a domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators