Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Spam To Dnf Account Emails

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
After 10+ years of using a particular email just to receive DNForum notifications, it started getting both spam and hacking attempts. Since I don't use that email anywhere else, nor do I reply anywhere with that email, that can only mean that the DNForum email database has been compromised or otherwise shared. I'd advise everyone to change their email password, or email altogether.

Upvote 0

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Was also notified by the server alert that there were attempts to 'guess' the account password, but don't have those anymore.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It could just be a dictionary attack, that successfully guessed your DNF email address, if it wasn't very complicated. e.g.

[email protected] is easier to guess than

[email protected]

in terms of purpose-specific email accounts.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
George, the username+domain pair was never used outside of DNForum and never for any purpose other than to log in and receive notifications. If anyone else has witnessed the same, it's an indication of database leak.

VNA

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same. I also do not use my email linked to DNF anywhere else and I am receiving similar spam emails especially the urghhhhhhh! one.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Yep. My email isn't "theo*" so the notion that usernames were harvested doesn't make sense here. Looks like emails are being used.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
George, the username+domain pair was never used outside of DNForum and never for any purpose other than to log in and receive notifications. If anyone else has witnessed the same, it's an indication of database leak.

Understood, but it still depends on how 'random' the username** portion is, otherwise it could simply be someone who has tested hundreds of thousands of different usernames (i.e. a dictionary attack), and chanced upon the one you used on DNForum.

** Just for clarity, I mean the randomness of the username in the email address (i.e. [email protected]), not the DNForum username.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm also receiving some. Especially the urghhhh email.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As I'm not the only one getting these emails, what are the odds that it was a brute force 'guesswork' attack?

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never received those spam emails.

While it's possible that the forum's database got compromised, and those spams were sent to a subset of the database , I was simply pointing out that there was another possibility (i.e. the original post stated "that can only mean that the DNForum email database has been compromised or otherwise shared" -- emphasis added; not correct, when there are other possibilities for a spammer that don't involve obtaining the DNForum database).

If the forum's email database did get compromised, you'd think they would do a much better job of targeting the spam emails, e.g. make the offerings be related to domain names or webhosting, rather than than just general untargeted spam.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
George, inversely, just because you did not receive these emails does not mean there is no incident.

I have now changed my linked email and password and advise everyone to do the same.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Theo: I agree it's possible (as I said above), but that there are also alternative explanations.

The point I wanted to make, and perhaps it got lost, is that if one uses a different email address for different services, that it should be one that is hard to guess. e.g. [email protected] is harder to guess than [email protected], [email protected], or [email protected]. This reduces spam, because it's less susceptible to a dictionary-based attack, where spammers try to send emails to [email protected].

bro

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone dictionary attack on a personal use domain? I believe Theo's theory is correct ;)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
At any rate, my advice is for everyone concerned to change their associated emails, because brute-forcing known accounts can eventually work, for weak passwords. Also, never share the same password across various accounts.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's surprising that the e-mails you're receiving are generic and not domain-related. Perhaps 10 years ago a link to your e-mail was posted on the net, and it was just recently scraped? Or years ago somebody added you to their address book, and later got a virus or their account was compromised.

If the database was compromised, I doubt this is the last we'll hear of it. It's always a good idea to choose a complex-enough password to not be brute-forced anyways.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the DNForum database was compromised, I'd be more concerned about private messages and other information being compromised, rather than the identity of an email address (passwords are presumably stored hashed in any modern software, so they should still be safe).

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The weak passwords will be easily recovered either using brute force, dictionary attacks or rainbow tables.
I believe you have to change your password every 180 days but I can't remember if the software enforces strong passwords.

I think this forum is poorly thought from a privacy point of view.
For example look at the bottom of the thread (or any other): "Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 34)"
This is a creepy feature that was even removed in the past after some outcry from members.

And look at this: http://dnforum.com/useragent/

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom