Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed studentbooks.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about the exchange system too... but it was giving me a bit of a headache!

Amazon do their webstore thing (very different to their regular affiliate scheme), but they didn't say if I have to pay for their portal or if I just make a commission...

I requested the info from them anyway, their site was a bit vague on the webstore.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Easily a $x,xxx domain. An amazon affiliate is the easy route but the hard route is a book exchange system for used and new college books.
That is the best idea of the lot. You know how expensive academic books are. This is a fantastic opportunity to create your own little Amazon niche! On that basis, my valuation goes up tenfold if you can somehow do it. Search around for a script -- maybe something like this might point you in the right direction:

http://overstimulate.com/articles/2005/04/24/greasemonkey-book-burro-find-cheap-books.html

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and the link azooza.

I will have to take time going through the link for it all to sink in.

The best idea of the lot that you think I should try and do is, the amazon webstore, or the book exchange that labrocca mentioned, or the book comparison tools and site (which I think the link points me in the right direction for)?

I think with Amazon, if they don't charge me for a webstore, might allow me to still create my niche and put in little coding work if any.

But the bigger idea would be to have a complete site:

online sales (maybe even amazon)
book exchanges
book forums
newsletter
competitions
offers and discounts

Appreciate your tips, thanks again.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
$30k minimum to a major bookstore. I'd approach BN, Amazon etc. Be bold and remember, if you don't ask, you don't receive :-D

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
30k wow!

So I should turn doen the 3 offers of $100 then! :lol:

I've had a bunch of more reasonable offers a couple of low $xxxx

But I'm amazed by the stories that people can PM me with as to why the domain is crap, and then offer me $100-500... :jaw: and then telling me they want to know where (and how) I got it, and wanting proof before they hand over $300

I guess they are the sharks wanting a cheap buy!

I do like the domain though and I think sometimes the dream of what a domain could turn into makes me happy :eek7:

Anyways thanks all for your appraisals and your ideas in the thread and by PM.

I appreciate it.

MG

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But I'm amazed by the stories that people can PM me with as to why the domain is crap, and then offer me $100-500... :jaw: and then telling me they want to know where (and how) I got it, and wanting proof before they hand over $300

thats just good old fashion lowballing.. if someone is telling you a story about a domain being crappy, and then offers you money, the answer almost always should be: no thanks!

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
After more than 2 years I'm returning to this thread after making some dramatic changes/developments to this domain.

Please take a look at Student Books and I've started a website review thread here, would appreciate your thoughts.

At the moment the site may have some css issues with some browsers. I know IE6 and under are a little buggy but IE7, FF, Chrome should now be ok.

Also as Student Books covers: UK, US, Canada, Japan, France and Germany the translations may read very strangely to Japanese, French and German speakers (I'm working on having accurate translations done!)

I'd like to thank Azooza for his reply 2 years ago about Amazon's Scheme, and Acro for his valuation which made me hold on to this domain despite the offers in the xxxx range.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow just realised its a 2 year old thread........i see the traffic is building up nice.....good work !

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bulldog - yep it is an old thread!

I've been working on this for about the last 6 weeks off and on. Although there has been some type in traffic nothing amazing and I'm trying to increase the traffic now.

Can I ask which site/app you're using to see the traffic?

Thx

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah using the latest version of firefox and it seems fine to me.......

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I think is particularly good about the name is that it could be used in several ways, for example: new sales, used book sales, information on the best student texts, a writing site for students and even for student bookings of events.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is a nice looking website.very organized.good work.believe that after 2 years and development,the value will go up.I see it going for 50-70k.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this is a nice looking website.very organized.good work.believe that after 2 years and development,the value will go up.I see it going for 50-70k.

where do you see it? your crystal ball shows it?

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
where do you see it? your crystal ball shows it?

aight think about it for a second.from a domain standpoint,it's not as good as say a school books,that's more generic.but this domain is probably the 2nd best thing.college students are always looking to buy used books online and although you can say amazon has a chokehold on it studentbooks.com developed and marketed right can bring in massive traffic.

• the domain is generic
  • it can be easily remembered
  • good generic domains increase in value over time(even your crystal ball can figure that one out)
  • developed,the possibilities are endless. with student books he can attract not only college students,but elementary schools looking to buy books in bulk for kids at a fair price,high school text books as well.
so that being said IMHO I think he CAN fetch 50k on this domain,and if he's a good salesman 70k.

that's my opinion and me and my crystal ball are sticking to it

good domain.

I've seen worse names than this going for 100k on sedo.

so go get your crystal ball shined or something.

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks CleverlySlick- I know I'm biased but I agree that the valuation should jump up with the development. This has always been one of the projects I've been meaning to get around to and finally did.

I guess two things that I'm to watch, which will determine valuation, are traffic and affiliate income. At the moment both are picking up, I just hope to keep the momentum going.

For anyone with a site looking for a way to make income with your Amazon Associates (affiliate) code, please take a look at the book search widget. This is a very short piece of either PHP or HTML code that you put on your site and your visitors can search books from your site and you'll earn a portion of Amazon affiliate income on sales.

Thanks again for these valuations. Especially the higher ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators