Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The Official Auctionpus.com Thread - 8 Auctions Per Day - Low and No Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My two cents: The name Auctionpus.com is just absolutely terrible.

Leaving aside the frankly disgusting connotations of having a name composed of the words "Auction" and "Pus", which I am sure would be what most people would immediately read it as, the octopus wordplay does not really work - the part of the word octopus which refers to 8, as in 8 auctions, is the "Octo", not the "pus" anyway.

It is a terrible, terrible name imho and if you can't even select a good name for your own domain business, how are you going to convince anyone you know what a good name is to go on the auction block?

No offense intended and I genuinely hope your service will make a welcome addition to the industry, but if several people chip in using their own free time to tell you the same thing, perhaps you should give it some thought?

Domain Summit 2024

cmason

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While I have purchased a name from Auctionpus and bid on many more, I find the bidding information confusing. It is tough to decipher what the current bid and required bid are at times and it is largely unclear as to if you won after an auction closes. My hope is that the current version is a quick entry to fill some of the void Bido has left. I wish the Auctionpus team all the best as I believe 8 featured auctions per day with a good marketing plan can be successful. A little down that my 8-auction-per-day idea using my domain Aucti (play on oct) is already in play. Hahaha!

dnbknowledge

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, we're tweaking the script as we speak and will be switching to a new design shortly. If there are no delays, the auctions will resume today at 2 PM EST (not sure if the new design will go live as of today though, probably not).

Keep those ideas comin' and as far as the domain Auctionpus.com and the concept are concerned, this much is certain: some people hate my approach, some people love it and that's a good thing IMO. For every person who says the domain sucks, there's another person who congratulates me and based on my experience, that's definitely a good sign. If I would have chosen an insipid domain and a concept which generated an unanimous "yeah, it's ok I guess" response, that would have made me thing twice about its potential :)

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well.... if you are not afraid to change horses early into the race, the domain octoauctions.com is still available atm :) .......... best of luck with the platform, but I must agree that the "pus" on the end did not convey (to me) it was based on the concept of an octopus (8) and sounds very, very..... unhealthy. If you can make it work, despite the name/because of it, more power to you but seems like will be more fighting for it than necessary.....

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I would listen to these kind people.

dnbknowledge

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

We're still testing the application and have decided not to resume the auctions today. On the one hand, we want to make sure that everything is working properly and on the other hand, our new design is almost ready and we'd rather not resume the auctions now, then take another day off later on in order to update the design :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 70408

For every person who says the domain sucks, there's another person who congratulates me and based on my experience, that's definitely a good sign.
Yeah.. the guy who owns AuctionPLus.com must be very happy and hoping that your site takes off.

BTW, you might be seeing good traffic now, but that's because:

1) You're advertising at the top of Domaining.com
2) Your Auction Pus thread is at the top of DN Forum because it was posted in the News section.

Once you stop advertising or once a moderator decides to move this thread to the more obscure Advertising section where it probably belongs, people will either visit because you are selling great names or they won't. Auction Pus is not memorable and sounds bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

dnbknowledge

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
2)once a moderator decides to move this thread.

Elliot, did you read the first post of this thread?

This is a paid sticky thread and I bought it for an entire year.

D

Deleted member 70408

Elliot, did you read the first post of this thread?

This is a paid sticky thread and I bought it for an entire year.

I did not realize you could buy a sticky thread in the Domain News section for non Domain News, and that you can update your sticky thread daily so it appears on the Forum index page every time you update your thread.

Sh*t, I should pay $2,400 to do the exact same thing and list one domain name a day in my sticky thread in this section. PM coming to Admins about doing this... Smart idea!

dnbknowledge

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did not realize you could buy a sticky thread in the Domain News section for non Domain News, and that you can update your sticky thread daily so it appears on the Forum index page every time you update your thread.

Sh*t, I should pay $2,400 to do the exact same thing and list one domain name a day in my sticky thread in this section. PM coming to Admins about doing this... Smart idea!

Wait, it gets even better: did you know that every time someone posts a remark such as the one I quoted without even reading the thread, it receives even more exposure? Oh and that's not all, the thread ends up in the spotlight yet again once the previously mentioned e-thug tries to save the day with a (failed) sarcasm attempt. How can you NOT love the Interwebz? I think it's all just one big conspiracy orchestrated by the owner of AuctionpLus dot com.

D

Deleted member 70408

Wait, it gets even better: did you know that every time someone posts a remark such as the one I quoted without even reading the thread, it receives even more exposure? Oh and that's not all, the thread ends up in the spotlight yet again once the previously mentioned e-thug tries to save the day with a (failed) sarcasm attempt. How can you NOT love the Interwebz? I think it's all just one big conspiracy orchestrated by the owner of AuctionpLus dot com.

I really hope you aren't implying that I am the "previously mentioned e-thug." If I really had any negativity or bad wishes towards you or your new venture, I certainly wouldn't have offered my constructive criticism, which is echoed by others as well.

dnbknowledge

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I really hope you aren't implying that I am the "previously mentioned e-thug." If I really had any negativity or bad wishes towards you or your new venture, I certainly wouldn't have offered my constructive criticism, which is echoed by others as well.

I love constructive criticism, the only thing I don't understand is why you're being arrogant. It's not what you're saying (... in this case writing), it's how you're saying it. We're both here to make money, it's not like domaining is a zero sum game. Why all the arrogance then? Please re-read this again:

Was saying something like this really necessary?

I always appreciate it when people tell me that something I do sucks because I can improve my product/approach/whatever. Bookmark this thread, watch how things will unfold and you'll see what I mean. In fact, I like to surround myself with people who are not afraid to tell me when something I do or say sucks but arrogant statements such as the one I quoted are really not something I consider constructive criticism.

seonmwando

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read both of your blogs and you're both people I respect but I agree that EJS was pretty arrogant in this thread. In his defense, he probably didn't realize it

D

Deleted member 70408

dnbknowledge said:
I always appreciate it when people tell me that something I do sucks because I can improve my product/approach/whatever. Bookmark this thread, watch how things will unfold and you'll see what I mean. In fact, I like to surround myself with people who are not afraid to tell me when something I do or say sucks but arrogant statements such as the one I quoted are really not something I consider constructive criticism.

Let's back this up a couple steps.

Firstly, I don't think your idea sucks and I wasn't being arrogant about anything. I don't know when giving advice can be construed as arrogance. I actually like the idea of auctioning 8 domain names a day on an easily navigable website. It's very manageable and if you average $500 per domain sale, that's $4,000 gross revenue and $320 profit for you per day, which would be somewhere around $85,000/year in profit (less overhead of course). The idea is very good and with some very good domain names, you could probably exceed those numbers.

Secondly, and the point of my posting any comments here, is that I think calling the site Auction Pus sucks. Point blank, I don't like the name. I get that auctionpus sorta sounds like octopus and you have 8 domain names a day, but in a vacuum, telling someone to go bid on a name at Auctionpus.com will either drive people to AuctionPlus.com (which is what happened to me when I first read the thread) or people will think "pus.... gross/weird." This has been echoed by other people, and if people are telling this to you, there are probably going to be plenty of others thinking the same thing who either don't want to get involved, don't care enough to tell you, or don't want to give advice.

I do understand that some people haven't exactly expressed their opinions in a "nice" way, but that's to be expected and it always happens. I however was offering constructive criticism about the name and nothing more or less.

The bottom line in all of this is that if you auction good domain names and people know that the good domain names are up for auction, they may just sign up to bid (if they trust you with their information, escrow, payment, bidding transparency...etc). I've given my free advice and my time to tell you how I feel about the name of your new website, and that's the last I will say of it.

dnbknowledge said:
Was saying something like this really necessary?
I wouldn't say it was necessary, but it's annoying to me to see the same thread at the top of DNForum every day rather than actual domain news. Kudos to you for scoring a sticky post in the prime thread location on top of DNF for a full year. BTW, I think "arrogance" is the wrong term.

I read both of your blogs and you're both people I respect but I agree that EJS was pretty arrogant in this thread. In his defense, he probably didn't realize it
In which post was I being arrogant? Maybe a bit of a wise ass with regards to my post about doing the same thing with the sticky thread, but I wouldn't call it arrogant.

Last edited by a moderator:

seonmwando

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter really. If you want my opinion, I think you were arrogant. dnbknowledge seems to think so too. You can say you weren't and we go back and forth all day long, doesn't help anyone. I don't think you did it on purpose but it just happened This is a very good thread because there is a lot of good information from all directions including you aside from your last 2-3 posts. People like dnbknowledge who have the guts to be entrepreneurial deserve support because he's not the only one who will be happy if auctionpus makes it big. You don't like the domain auctionpus.com, I do. Maybe if he picked another domain I would hate it and you wouldn't. He would make a big mistake trying to please everyone. Not going to happen anywhere in the world. But what he's doing is being open to suggestions and that's more than I can say about the sedos of our niche hehehe

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the website / auction platform can be setup on dogeatshitz.com or d0mauctipuss.com or whaaatever.me so long as there are good domains up for grabs, it will be successful... people will bid.... business will go on as usual

unfortunately in this case the inventory isnt all that great day in and day out to begin with, so you got a lot of making up to do on many other fronts

getting a good catchy name / establishing a brand will go a long way... same for a nice look and feel to the site

anyways...... my2c

back to biz

dnbknowledge

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The bottom line in all of this is that if you auction good domain names and people know that the good domain names are up for auction, they may just sign up to bid (if they trust you with their information, escrow, payment, bidding transparency...etc).

Agreed.

Btw, what do you guys think about the new design (it's not the final version, we'll be putting the domains where the bids are and the other way around so that the domains stand out)?

D

Deleted member 70408

Agreed.

Btw, what do you guys think about the new design (it's not the final version, we'll be putting the domains where the bids are and the other way around so that the domains stand out)?
I have a buddy who is color blind, so the dark purple names on the light purple background would probably make it difficult or impossible for him to see.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is color blind, so the dark purple names on the light purple background would probably make it difficult or impossible for him to see.

lol !!

hard man to please, you are... eh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom