Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The trouble with Sedo these days .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem w/Sedo nowadays and why I avoid it is not their highly unattractive landing pages (and that's puttin it mildly) or their low revenue, it's that when visitors click on This Domain May Be For Sale they cannot ask a question of you, much less send an offer, unless they're registered Sedo users, and if anyone has a 'probing' application to become a customer it is Sedo, in fact it's downright intrusive if you ever want to bid large amounts ($10K and above), luckily I'm never in this range. So an average visitor, and even a domainer, who doesn't have an account w/them or simply does not want to go thru all that process just to offer you $10 or ask you a question, will pass your parked pages right by

Many Sedo users don't even realize this until they're told, and Sedo is the only one that doesn't allow a simply inquiry unless you're a Sedo accountholder. Not to mention nothing on Sedo sells for < $60 which is by itself a big hurdle, so the minimum offer anyone can make on ANY name is $60. And if all that weren't enough their minimum commission on ANY deal is $50 or 15%, whichever is greater (and it's 20% if it's thru their MLS or thru their Domain Acquisition), that's way too many roadblocks to sell a name, I hardly ever sell anything there due to all this. I sometimes receive offers of $60 thru their MLS which I won't go for with a commission of $50, but I would go for with a commission of 10% (or even 15%) On top of that you can't even send PMs thru their MLS offers, and you can't send it to auction with that $60 as reserve either if it came through their notorious MLS

I simply could not come up with all these obstacles on my own (if someone actually paid me money) if I had to describe an auction/parking service whose real purpose were in fact NOT to sell.....

And last (at least for now) is that, much to my amazement, if you own domains regged with Go Daddy and you don't have them listed on GD Auctions but you want to list them for sale with Sedo only (or with Sedo first and then GD later) you can, EXCEPT that when you go list them with Go Daddy afterwards the GD interface will reject them because "they're already listed" and it took me a little while to realize GD meant they were listed thru Sedo's MLS, and not listed fraudulently by somebody else on GD Auctions. I then had to go to Sedo and delete the names from my account altogether and then list them with GD for sale. Maybe it's just me..... but shouldn't a domain registered with GD (in your very own GD account at listing time) take precedence over the same domain listed elsewhere ? GD and Sedo should establish an option that when this happens you can choose to list them with GD and delete Sedo's MLS listing entry right there. You often want to have them both listed on both auction platforms, but since these two can't apparently coexist, you should be given a choice by GD and/or Sedo. I yet again listed them with Sedo for sale on their MLS after all that, so some are now with both, I did not need all this hassle !

So if you park with Sedo but want to list names on GD Auctions you have to go to Sedo FIRST, delete the domains from your Sedo account (or leave them there but not for sale on their MLS, if there's an option), you then go to GD, list them, and later you can add them back for sale on Sedo too. WTF !.........

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And if they were listed through MLS on GD then you would need to pay 20% to Sedo instead of 10% to GD which I think is some serious BS..

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really ? gee, and I didn't even know this, this is serious bullshit indeed. In fact, what's an MLS listing on GD ? I list my GD names (regged with GD) on GD Auctions, that's not MLS, right ? Maybe you mean if the domains are at other registrars and I list them on GD Auctions .... is this what GD calls MLS ? Funny, as much as I've dealt w/GD I've never seen what an MLS listing there actually is.....

And if they were listed through MLS on GD then you would need to pay 20% to Sedo instead of 10% to GD which I think is some serious BS..

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dude, I'll definitely save that. I'm sure it's cool w/the mods since your link is germane to the thread topic

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to Op

i think your issue is unique to you and those who use gd

for those who don't use gd, no problem

the friggin irony is, i get more offers now that originate from gd, since being part of the mls

but in my experince, any person who wanted to buy domains who didn't have an account with sedo, never had a problem with getting one, to make the purchase.

they often took the initiative to utilize "whois" for initial communications first.

so to prevent any future communications barrier, i'd advise removing whois privacy if you use that service.

as for pretty templates, sometimes they matter, sometimes they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators