Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Time for the people to speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of great ideas..

Seems like alot of work too :)

I do like how WHT has the VB hacks for thier related offers forum though.
THat is ez and a good idea.

Many other great ideas :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComGod

Bidawinner,

any suggestions who?

'Consider teaming up with another board that works on the webmastery skills'

Thanks,

-=DCG=-

Well the absolute best is http://www.webmasterworld.com/index.htm Brett T

and this little page he wrote here clearly shows he understands the the importance of owning "keyword" domains ...in relation to the Search engines..

http://www.searchengine-optimization.nu/sokmotor/how_a_searchengine_work.html

So I am sure Brett would at least listen to any ideas , of course the conversation is what can DNF bring to the table to offer webmasterworld and it's members..

http://www.pandia.com/sw-2002/37-pubconference.html

http://www.seoconsultants.com/seo-resources/

http://www.webmasterworld.com/login.cgi

Absolute pro's ..

Google has a man dedicated to hanging at webmasterworld.com , as does Altavista , Teoma, Ink etc .

Danny Sullivan is a regular contributor..

The one area lacking at his site are enough people in his domain threads, most of the regular contributors place the domain as 2nd and 3rd behind your content.(So his one weak area.. DNF could be with all the expertise on this board ..fill that for him..DNF could be webmasterworld.coms outsourced resouce for domain information/education ? )

Alot of them hate the idea(because they dont understand it) of people (like us) that grab domains that others let drop. And will play the old argument that somehow if someone after repeated emails still forgets to renew their domain.. somehow the person that grabs it is scum and that the name really should belong to the person that didnt renew..

BUT... thats the education that this board can offer webmasterworld as webmasterworld.com offers the education to people here about creating actual worth on a lot of names they hold .. by actually using their names to generate revenue (traffic) and therby increasing the names value.

Maybe at this stage nothing more than an introduction .. and see what kind of advise Brett can offer to get DNF moving in the right direction..

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent, Excellent feedback!

I am going through teh post a bit at a time and implementing most ot the features you mentioned.

As they get done I will go through the string and put DONE!

thanks and keep em coming all greta sugestions.

-=DCG=-

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Suspend whois-search's mod situation if he insists on advertising about-to-drop names with no meaningful explanation,

2. Get Timechange back. Don't let Mr. Fukhov Fukahanov come back...

3. Remove DNF$ thing out of the Forum completely and create an award system which gives seniority to members who contributes more by letting people to rate posts.

4. You can create brokerage services for DNF members who would like to sell domains to end-users. You even can use your resources to market every DNF member's top 5 domains to end-users for a brokerage fee.

All these at this time....

SAF

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
can anyone point me to these hacks....thanks -=DCG=-

looked but can't find! ;)

Put in VB hacks to:-

A) Disallow bumping in the Sales section i.e. no matter how many replies are posted, threads stay in the order their first posts were posted

B) Limit new threads to once every 24 hours, per registered member

AFAIK hacks exist for both of the above and they would make the Sales section much more approachable, as well as enforcing the existing rules more effectively than relying on moderators since the 24-hour rule, for instance, would be 100% effective!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Edwin.

I will get it implemented by tomorrow.

We also need one to limit people reading adaul section if under 18 if you see it.

Apreaciate everyones help!

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok that mess up their was adult section.

-=DCG=-

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, I mentioned this in a thread somewhere deep in the lounge, but it keeps nagging me so I'll flag it here...

Please change the wording of http://dnforum.com/advertise.php so that it no longer talks about 200 million visitors a month! That's not what the Alexa stat is reporting at all - it is saying that 285 out of every million visitors around the web come to DNForum.

In other words, if there are 200 million visitors worldwide, then DNForum is getting 57000 monthly visits.

There are probably only 10 sites in the world with 200 million visitors a month, and while DNForum is a great little site, there's no way on earth that it's among those 10.

It's a minor thing, I know, but it does irritate me when I see it :)

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, I like DotComCowboy's suggestion in this thread about banning cybersquatting, though I think to be realistic about it one would have to modify it to "ban KNOWN cybersquatting" i.e. when somebody posts "Hey, buy my domain it gets 700 daily visitors because it's a typo of FAMOUS BRAND" then they get a warning and the thread is deleted or locked. Repeat offenders would get banned.

Makes this board seem much more professional IMO.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ban the words:

rare, great, top, gems, elite

from "For Sale" subjects. :)

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possibly hard to do, but automatically ban posts that link to eBay auctions without a mention of the domain(s) in the posts themselves. It's a complete waste of time having to click over to eBay to find that the SUPER FANTASTIC domain on offer is usedsockjuice4mydog.org or similar...

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

We also need one to limit people reading adult section if under 18 if you see it.

Why? There is nothing in there except words, there is nothing illegal for people under 18 to view....its not like I've never seen the words p*ssy and *ss before :rolleyes:

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain something to me....

WHY is it so all-fired important or even a good thing to prevent bumping in the sales thread?

It seems like this allows someone to post a sale, then completely IGNORE it for weeks, and that person's thread is treated the exact same way as an active member who monitors and updates their thread 3 or 4 time per day!

And as it is, active threads with good names stay toward the top, so you always know where the action is. To be honest, this sounds like pointless, bureaucratic meddling, just for the sake of doing it! "Because we CAN!"

Truly, what's the rationale? Is the idea "let's punish the active involved members with good names, and reward the lazy, disengaged members who post and then come back two weeks later to see what happened?" WHO does this benefit, and HOW does it benefit them? (Remember, we are "customers" who are paying for these features!)

If someone DOESN'T maintain their sales thread and no one's interested, then it SINKS to the bottom as it SHOULD! And if they DO MAINTAIN it or it's a hot property, then it stays toward the top! What's wrong with that?

How about no more than one bump per day? Same benefit, less frivolous bumping!

Can someone explain to a little kitty??

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Edwin.

I will get it implemented by tomorrow.

We also need one to limit people reading adaul section if under 18 if you see it.

Apreaciate everyones help!

-=DCG=-

I question how you are going to implement that.

My birthday is now officially (At DNF) in 1975 FYI.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought about that too....I am now 71 years old.......

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is always ways around that. Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom