Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Tims.ca sells for $5150 at MyID.ca auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TimHortons ????

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A texting/instant messaging company bought it. Site is live already.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What company is that? Right now, I only see the redirect and whois related to myid.
I would love to know who purchased this domain for five k. What are you seeing that I am not at this point in time?

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I saw the texting ad too, was a large iphone type phone in the center with stuff, any way this is what I see now...

This Account Has Been Suspended

Please contact Alex Conconi for more information at 604-568-4063, or via e-mail at alex [at] conconi.ca

Ilze you see myid still because of cookies maybe, in a day or two you wont unless you clear them. I hate changing dns on a domain I recently typed in and still see the old lander :(

As far as who bought it.... ok I dug for 5 minutes and connected a dot or two and it looks like, not 100%, it was this guy.

If you search conconi.ca the whois is private but since the person likes domains they used a domain they own as their dns, that name was copious.ca...when I looked at whois history for copious.ca way back 6 years guess what I found! Notice his first and last name and the email currently displayed on Tims.ca as who to contact :) So now I am a 100% sure. I took his email and used it in a research tool and came up with a list of more names he owns, honestly nothing that great really, tims.ca may end up being his very best from what I see. Only working with 2 emails so may be missing some but any way, hope this helps answers your question Ilze.

I think I may make a career of this LOL

Subdomain: copious.ca
Renewal-Date: 2007/11/21
Date-Approved: 2006/11/21
Date-Modified: 2006/12/12
Organization: Alexander Conconi
Description:
Admin-Name: Alexander Conconi
Admin-Title:
Admin-Postal: 103-555 Chatham
Victoria BC V8T1E1 Canada
Admin-Phone: 250-885-2070
Admin-Fax:
Admin-Mailbox: alexconconi@gmail.com

Partial list of names found...

1. altmortgages.com
2. brokerflex.com
3. canadareversemortgage.net
4. canadianreversemortgage.net
5. canadianreversemortgages.net
6. easyappraisal.net
7. fedonarrival.com
8. lendercommand.com
9. megtroy.com
10. mortgageapp.info
11. nounandnoun.com
12. rentalapp.net
13. securebroker.net
14. sextoystockpile.com
15. solicitortools.com
16. taboobreakers.com
17. thetimbers.net
18. timbersretreat.com

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally after looking at data I cannot see why Tim Horton's would actually spend a dime to have a name that likely gets 1-5 visitors a day (using .com as guide line which sees approx. 20-30 a day). If this young man ever even puts up a hint of coffee or donut related images or ads he would lose it in a heart beat imo. That would be a real life example of Financial Risk Management a course he seems to have taken according to google. He may also learn that sometimes if a name gets next to no real good traffic the risk is the potential end user has weighed that risk and there si essentially no loss to be concerned about.

If it were just a first name (non plural) it may be worth $XX,XXX+/-, since it is plural and having sold more generic first name domains in .com I know the S depreciates value by at least 5x.

Now I could be wrong, maybe they will want a short nickname to market something with one day but that would be a head scratcher. They do not even own TimHorton.ca, Timmys.ca etc

Honestly Ilze, you saved yourself thousands by not buying it.

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MANY people I know just say Tim's, when they say they are going to TH.
I don't drink coffee so I am not a client.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say: "going to tims, want a tims, where is the closest tims"... but I wouldn't google it that way.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
some of their commercials says 'its time for tims' so they get that people call it that. hard to say if they would really have any interest in the domain.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the only reason they would want it would be for defensive reasons

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
or use it for an app

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was on a TBR several months ago, if I'm not mistaken.

$5,150 is a solid buy, IMO. The term is used frequently enough that demand could turn it into an xx,xxx name down the road.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's time to buy tims its also time for them to buy timmys timmies timscard timcard etc etc etc I too say going to Tims or for a Tims on occasion but never would search it that way and when one does look at the data for tims and a search result for Tim Hortons it is nearly non existent when used on its own.

And there is no defence needed Max, the name likely gets little to no traffic and any use that was deemed infringement would be like a small gift to them.

Bottom line, it would be "cool" or cute if they owned it but there is no benefit financially or at this time from a marketing stand point.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My prediction is that tims.ca will be owned by Tim Hortons one year...or less...from now. They have a TM for tims not yet formalized at CIPO.
jmo

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tim Hortons does not play well with the other kids in the playground. They are more of a Bully in the business world.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you decided to park it with adsense or run a donut site you would have a serious problem.
However if you are someone named Tim and want to run a blog or have a clothing store (for example) called Tim's they can bully all they want. As long as you aren't running goog ads that advertise TH and you don't attempt to in any way monetize their TH brand ....they can just move on.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there is also a coffee shop named Timothy's - I wonder who would have more rights, lol

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ilze, you may be correct if they take up a marketing campaign or something using Tims as the keyword. However I would venture to say the new owner approaching them thinking since they have a desire to TM it they should want it would possibly end badly for the domain owner. In fact if we are honest it is bad faith, smart but bad lol

I see this happen every week and names do move but for amounts near or around a udrp wipo etc or $1k+ mark.

Only Mike Mann is able to buy new product names or businesses and flip them to the TM holder for 5 figs LOL Seems that is all he does lately.

Is this it?

http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-c...598&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators