Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Tims.ca sells for $5150 at MyID.ca auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My prediction is that tims.ca will be owned by Tim Hortons one year...or less...from now. They have a TM for tims not yet formalized at CIPO.
jmo

Ilze has a good grasp of this.

For those who do not know the entire story, we were hired to pick up the domain last year when it became clear that Treasury Board - the Government of Canada - was no longer going to keep the domain.

The domain was back-ordered at a number of registrars, and our company 'won' the auction for around $2k in January. I was on the road at the time, so I do not know all of the details, but my understanding is MyID did not 'award' the registration right away, and so someone in our company did check on it, and ran it against our backorders as being a new order. This revealed that TDL - that is the Tim Horton license business - had filed for a trade-mark late in 2012.

Naturally, the complications began: Mark informed the client that the domain could not be transferred for 60 days as MyID had put the domain on its own account, and they said they would not release payment until they were sure they could get the domain. I suspect they had something more in the background because we also notified them of the Tims application at CIPO. Technically, if there would ever be a dispute over that registration, the domain name registration is prior to the registration date of any potential trade-mark, but the usage of the name in association with restaurants and food service is so well-known that this would the rare case where a so-called common trade-mark would exist even without a registration.

The client finally released payment to us and we contacted MyID, but they auctioned of the domain - apparently one week after we contacted them - because the domain was not paid on the original due date.-

From our side, I know we did not want to hold this domain directly, and it was decided we would wait on the client, but on the other hand, it does seem like MyID made an extra $3k by selling this registration even after the original buyer offered payment. People can say we should have simply paid up front, but the risk to us was that the client might have skipped out on us due to the TDL trade-mark application. At the same time, MyID had locked up the domain and put it into its own account, and therefore could not transfer the domain for 60 days anyway, so I understand why our client waited to see what transpired.

In the end MyID made a fat profit, we found a fine alternative domain for our customer to buy which meets their goals, and the TDL people are going to either pay $5k to lawyers to take tims.ca away, or they will reimburse the owner what they paid MyID for the registration.

Live and learn.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ilze, you may be correct if they take up a marketing campaign or something using Tims as the keyword.

They have done just that. Their latest commercials on TV chant "It's time for Tim's!".

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have done just that. Their latest commercials on TV chant "It's time for Tim's!".

It is part of getting bigger in the U.S. as well, where the Tim Horton store is a 'Bakery and Cafe' - so it is easier to talk about Tim's than Tim Horton's - who is that??

Not many hockey fans south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom