Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

UK expiry times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am after a domain which is due to expire later this month, hopefully if it is not renewed. For example if on the whois database a domain expires on 25/04/2002 when will it actually become available to register.

Is there a daily time when these names become available or is it just constant throughout the day. If there are certain times, do you know what time it would be for the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Domain summit 2024

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depending on the Registrar...most likely 60 days after date of expiration.

Deletions in .uk have nothing to do with registrars, its all down to the registry Nominet and you are likely in for a looooooong wait.

There is no official policy for deleltions, they can take over a year to go free.

The first stage is the domain gets DETAGGED, then it gets suspended - then deleted.

Nominet go to the ends of the earth to try and contact the domain owner to make sure they really, seriously, honestly want it deleted.

Yeah I've seen a few 'detagged' ones.

I guess they are expecting a royal letter.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like I might be waiting a while for this one then.

Would you recommend any expired names searches, I currently use DeletedDomains.com but I would like one that will notify me when a specific name becomes available, preferably the cheapest one available.

Thanks

Mark

.uk domains are not covered by the deleted domains lists as far as I am aware.

Bet advice, keep looking at the WHOIS every so often till it says "suspended" - then monitor it very closely and hope its not one being scripted.

Depends which registrar it's with. If it's Network Solutions, forget it :cry:

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Luckily it's not.

I've only started buying domains over the last 12 months and am pretty much a novice. Sorry for the ignorance but can you please explain what is meant by a 'detagged' name.

I am currently attending my local college 1 evening per week taking a web-design course so hopefully I can develop some of the names I have purchased.

Any advice for the novice domain buyers among us?

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

My advice: if you go past 20 domains, start selling. I didn't, and now I am addicted :D

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can I ask what is the most amount of money you have managed to obtain from selling a domain?

I have just purchased NewcastleCollege.com which is a college local to where I live. They already own the .co.uk, so I will probably be contacting them over the next week or so to see if they would be interested in the name. The thing I have wondered about for the past few months is, on TM disputes and the like, I take it that anything with a place name in the title such as the name I have just bought, would be free from any such dispute as it cannot belong to any one person.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did you sell it through Ebay or by targeting specific people on e-mail.

I tried direct e-mail a few times for the first name I bought. I got a few replies but no sale.

What has been the best method for you?

PS. Congratulations on the sale.

Originally posted by Marco
Luckily it's not.

I've only started buying domains over the last 12 months and am pretty much a novice. Sorry for the ignorance but can you please explain what is meant by a 'detagged' name.

I am currently attending my local college 1 evening per week taking a web-design course so hopefully I can develop some of the names I have purchased.

Any advice for the novice domain buyers among us?

Thanks

Mark

your working 'smart'

domain names which are empty vessels.. earn no income.. while waiting for a 'buyer'
it's best to develop 'something' on the name.. a site of some kind.. and load it with maybe Affiliate programs.. so you can earn income while waiting for a buyer.. and post on the front page that the name is for sale.
then.. get it ranked in the engines.. so it will generate traffic... swap links to other sites which are a good 'balance' with your site.. and this helps engine rank as well.

goodluck!

Two sales actually, same amount. One was a web site similar to the one some company registered ( mine came first ). I started receiving emails meant for them! Eventually I offered to sell it to them and they accepted. The second one, I was approached by the buyer through the WHOIS info. I haven't sold domains on ebay for more than $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators