Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld US Citizen wants to reg .ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need to register a .ca domain for a client to protect their brand, as they may be in Canada within the next few years. However, neither myself nor my client meet the .ca presence requirements (http://www.cira.ca/en/document/CPR.pdf).

Other than applying for Canadian trademark or registering their corporation in Canada, how would I go about registering the domain to prevent competitors from obtaining it first?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best way (legal) to do it is a quickie business registration in Canada. If they are going to be in Canada in a couple of years, it is worth the little amount of money it will take. That is how I would do it. Sure, you could use someones address up here or have someone hold the domain in trust but if discovered, you could loose the domain. Straight up is the best way.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got an email from someone offering to proxy for me for $1000-$3000. Surely it can't be that expensive to have someone trustworthy hold the domain for me a few years? Does anyone know of any other Canadian proxies or trustworthy individuals who would perform this service until we can set up the necessary presence to receive the domain?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got an email from someone offering to proxy for me for $1000-$3000. Surely it can't be that expensive to have someone trustworthy hold the domain for me a few years? Does anyone know of any other Canadian proxies or trustworthy individuals who would perform this service until we can set up the necessary presence to receive the domain?

Well it wasn't that risky until friday. CIRA is imposing a new rule that outlaws the practise and if you're caught assisting you can lose all your domains and be banned from registering any new ones for 3 years!

Talk about overkill:uhoh:

Hurley4540

Hurley4540.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it wasn't that risky until friday. CIRA is imposing a new rule that outlaws the practise and if you're caught assisting you can lose all your domains and be banned from registering any new ones for 3 years!

You mean losing ALL your domains, or ALL of your .CA domains?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of your .ca domains. And for the person who offered to do it for a few thousand, he/she is trying to take advantage of you.

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution to allow me to register .ca names (I'm not in Canada and not Canadian etc).

It seems these guys are willing to act as an agent:
http://www.americaregistry.com/doma...stration.htm?gclid=CNHSo5yC15cCFU0upAod2HuVDA

What do people think about that?

It is fine and dandy but you as a registrant still have to meet Canadian requirements. It is not good enough that the domain registrar might meet them. For these guys (americaregistry.com), I can't find them anywhere on the CIRA website as a certified registrar so I would be very wary. However, it might be that CIRA hasn't added them to the list yet.

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AmericanRegistry.com is a scum bag company that email domain owners with mailings that look as though you're renewing a domain but your are actually transferring to them at usurious prices. If they would something like this, I would not trust them with a company name imo.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My contact at the cira says they are aware of that site and are investigating it. IMHO its probably an individual, not a registrar, that is registering names and putting them under his registrant. Thats probably why he charges $19 so he pockets the other $10 per registration.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Any official CIRA verbatim on this?

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
from the registrant agreement section 4.1 clause g:

not allow any third party to use or operate any Domain Name Registration
registered in the name of the Registrant and not register any Domain Name as agent for,
or on behalf of, any third party in any manner whatsoever, including without limiting the
generality of the foregoing, for purposes of lending, leasing, licensing or otherwise
granting rights in such Domain Name Registration to any third party for monetary or nonmonetary
consideration;

Section 7.9:

If the Registrant breaches the Registrant’s
obligations contained in Section 4.1(g) of this Agreement CIRA may, in its sole discretion
prohibit the Registrant from registering any new Domain Names for a period of up to 3 years
upon notice from CIRA.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what MarkMonitor .com does. They buy .ca domains on behalf of companies to save them from Squatters like us. They own hundreds of .ca acting presicely as an agent for their woldwide customers who can't legally own dot .ca.

I wonder what the contact at Cira saying about those guys?

Here are some examples: verizon .ca, verizonwireless .ca, verizoncommunications .ca...

All they have is a mail box in West Van. I understand that they are protecting their customers brand and all but if we can't do it, I don't see why they could.

Merry Christmas all and a happy New Year.

D.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with the above statements. Merry Christmas to everyone!

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what MarkMonitor .com does. They buy .ca domains on behalf of companies to save them from Squatters like us. They own hundreds of .ca acting presicely as an agent for their woldwide customers who can't legally own dot .ca.

I wonder what the contact at Cira saying about those guys?

Here are some examples: verizon .ca, verizonwireless .ca, verizoncommunications .ca...

All they have is a mail box in West Van. I understand that they are protecting their customers brand and all but if we can't do it, I don't see why they could.

Merry Christmas all and a happy New Year.

D.

From my understanding thats why those websites are not in use, they point no where. I haven't asked cira, but this is my understanding if they were registering them for their partners "use" they would be violating the terms. But to register them and point them no where to protect their brand I guess is legit?

ThreeD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We're looking to reg a few .ca's ourselves. Where do we start if we want to register our business in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom