Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign to auction domin names: WLS to be approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

In this case, I'm willing to go with the devil I don't know. And if the rumors about Snapbacks being grandfathered in are true, I'll be sitting pretty.

Beatz - WLS and the current system are not great; what would you like to see instead?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What i would like to see is:
a)Binding expire-regulations by ICANN - that is that all registrars are obliged to let a name drop after a certain time - and that be the same for all registrars,including the evil,NSI :)

b)Forcing NSI to decide if they wanna keep the registry or be a registrar but take one of both away from them - conflict of interest.

c)Destroy ICANN and WIPO and replace them with a REAL democratic organization and a REAL international COURT,delete the WIPO-fee so another conflict of interests is gone.

d)Don't allow Registrars to - register names for themselves
- have special agreements with companies like Buydomains.com or anyone else that iclude a direct or indirect access to the registry

e) First come first serve be the rule

The bottom line is don't let it be allowed that some have the opportunity to create a monopoly like VS/NSI or that some can act as judges when in fact they are none like WIPO on things that belong to ALL like it is the case with domains.

That's it basically.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Example:
If today i decided to offer my customers a service like WLS - that including the same business model VS proposes which is to sell WLS placements to resellers - and i couldn't because VS was given the exclusive rights to do so...that's what i would call a monopoly.

Originally posted by grabby
Beatz - WLS and the current system are not great; what would you like to see instead?
I'm not Beatz, but I'd like to see real competition remain in the dropping space. Drop domains after a fixed grace period where the original owner can get his domain back. Drop them consistently, and allow equal access to the SRS system from any ICANN accredited registrar. This lets any ICANN registrar who wants to put a dropped domain system together play on a level field.

I don't believe that a monopoly is ever a good idea. Let's now take the Verisign Registry, add the Verisign Registrar and the Verisign WLS to it - they make the rules. They control the pre and post market gTLD and any other TLD they purchase and add to their stable of products.

Verisign could easily change the WLS rules they have outlined in the current system to auction off WLS reservations to the highest bidder, or give preferential pricing to "strategic partners" or any other high stakes plays. Remember that they don't believe they need ICANN support to even start up the WLS - they are letting ICANN take a position here out of courtesy. They have already not received registrar consensus and decided that's not important.

Remember we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars in annual WLS revenue here. This is not chump change. If you think Verisign will be "fair" to the little guy out there, think again.

-t

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Indeed.
In fact, if the WLS would be established i think i would be willing to start a collective sueing against VS, ICANN and even WIPO.
Anyone wanna join me? :)
For real.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
logical Beatz on your earlier post. Can't say the same on your following comments and others though. Yes, all participating registrars will be able to offer WLS, and will profit from it. To think that is not the case is ignorance of the facts. The registrars will profit just the same as the offerings of new registrations. It will be up the registrar to participate in the WLS, and after the WLS is ratified, we can see how many regisrars stick by their 'principles' and refuse to offer it, and see how many registrars yield to reality and realize they indeed will profit by offering a WLS service. The latter will happen--guaranteed.

Verisign hosed themselves by trying to gouge $35 profits with their initial WLS proposal. They are so stupid. They could have easily broken into the expired domain racket that other registrars have already soaked registrants for if they too were not as greedy as the enoms and signatures of the world.

The WLS is coming though, and don't think it won't. The devil is in the details, and there is certainly no shortage of devils in this game. The registrars, in opposing the WLS, are trying to paint themselves as angelic victims, but no one is buying it. They are crooks. Backroom deals, pay-for-registrar access, non-published name-drop policies, etc. As far a registrars registering names for themselves, enom again takes the cake. They solicited multilingual domain lists to be registered FOR CLIENTS, and instead registered the names for themselves. Total sleazeballs. On top of that sleaze, they also auto-bill using creditcard numbers on file to 'autorenew' names without express authorization. Total crooks again. No wonder they oppose the WLS so fiercely: They reinforce the adage 'no honor among thieves'.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Yes, all participating registrars will be able to offer WLS, and will profit from it"
So i would be able to provide the exact same service that VS wants to offer?
I think not.As i could not offer the registry handling in the background as VS can. So what do you think: Would a registrar buy for the same $35 at my place or at Verisigns? You see.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you will. It wil be a parallel registry.

ALL REGISTRARS THAT WILL WANT TO will be able to offer the WLS. The $35 is the Verisign WHOLESALE cost (identical to the current $6 cost for every 'new' domain currently). The registrars, INCLUDING Verisign, and anyone who wants to participate, will offer the WLS at what the market will bear for a WLS subscription.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It should be like that:

ICANN(or similar) + Registry operator
|
|controls
|
Registry
|
| gives direct access and WLS to
__|__
| |
___Registar1 Registrar2___
| | | | | | |
Registrant a,b,c Registrant d,e,f,

So - no WLS coming from a company/registrar but the registry operator not like VS now.
- no Registrar that acts as a registrant themselves or even control the Registry

That would be democratic

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:D
OOPS, my nice graphic looks a bit different than waht it looked like before posting it...

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You see - it's so simple.
Why isn't it democratic?
Because if i was a registrar tell me from who i could buy the WLS thing other than from VS - that is a Registrar that has same access to the Registry like VS has.Well,there is no other company.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
are having a hard time dissociating the Verisign REGISTRAR from the Verisign REGISTRY. They are completely separate and distinct entities, whether you want to believe it or not.

Your ability to sell WLS subscriptions to end users would be IDENTICAL to the current method by which you sell 'new' domains to end-users. For example: Your current domain customers are not chosing to go directly to Verisign to buy domains for $6 are they????????????? NO!!!! They are going to you, and other registrars to buy 'new' domains, and JUST AS THEY WOULD WITH THE WLS.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"They are completely separate and distinct entities, whether you want to believe it or not. "

Yeah - on paper.
You think the whole WLS idea has nothing to do with the fact they run the registry as well? Dream on.
Anyway,all i'm saying is i'm against monopoly - if you wanna argue VS is NOT building a monopoly - no need to dicuss further then cause it would be useless.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
against monopolies too, but they are not illegal, and VeriSign being in business proves this.

Your mistrust with Verisign is totally inconsistent with the fact you are a trusting partner with Verisign in your current domain registration business.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
UH?
A trusting partner with Verisign? Whatcha talkin about?

And VS activities not being illegal is the whole point: I hope the day is coming when it will be illegal what they do.And btw,what you mean by illegal? You mean not illegal in the US so far - but US ain't the only country that uses the internet,you know.So hopefully we gonna see a few VS sueings soon - coming from the US or wherever else.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
gTLD domain you have EVER registered, you paid $6 to Verisign, and you trusted them to maintain this record for you in the VERISIGN REGISTRY!!! Who did you think did this, the tooth fairy?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well i know that fact but c'mon you being childish now.Why? Because you know and I know that i have no choice as VS is the only Registry operator - but that doesnt make me a TRUSTING PARTNER. LOL
All it does is it supports my point that VS owns too many things that means a conflict of interest.If there was a way i could reg a domain without ANYTHING VS involved,be assured i would be the first to go that way.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually i don't trust them but AM FORCED to accept them as the registry operator - well i would have to accept any operator that is chosen - but i don't have to accept the fact that the current operator also is the biggest Registrar of domain names at the same time - that's why i think about fighting against the current ongoings.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if a german court would decide VS' activities are illegal...you think doesn't matter because it'a an american company? Well- but their business is domains so that should put them under some kind of international law.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
'forced' you to buy domain names!!

In buying gTLD domains, you went into a competely wilfull partnership with Verisign--and only now after I pointed it out did you even realize it!!

Okay, so now, you say you don't trust Verisign. ----Only a total idiot would continue to do business with, (ie. pay $6 to Verisign with each domain registration filed in the VERSIGN REGISTRY record), a firm they admitedly do not trust!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom