Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign to auction domin names: WLS to be approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uncle

what else do we have now if not first come, first serve??
it doesn't matter who spots a domain first, it's who gets it first.

this is frst come, first serve.

You can make up your own definition of "first come, first serve" if you'd like, but for the vast majority of people "first come, first serve" means that if you see an expiring domain AND are willing to be the first to put down some money, then you should be able to get it, with out having to put up with a lot of bull.

besides, look up thewitt's post a couple of posts up. if he's right, how on earth are YOU gonna come first to get good wls subscriptions?

Whether I get "good" WLS subscriptions is irrelevant. It is extremely obvious that the best WLS subscriptions will indeed go to the big speculators. But you know what, I don't really care.
There are still going to be plently of names that the big players over look, and more with the WLS.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by grabby Hosting3, I don't like being put in a position to have to defend VRSN, but. . In looking at the current status of various proposals, it is extremely unlikely that the WLS will be implemented without some sort of concurrent policy on domain deletions. The situation you describe (fairly common at present) where Verisign fails to release a name that according to the Whois is well past the expiration date will almost certainly be addressed prospectively before any WLS is implemented. Whether one thinks the WLS is a good or bad idea, claiming that VRSN is the only financial winner is false. Any registrar who actively promotes this product ought to do pretty well too: why do registrars get into the expiring name business now? Because the margins are so much higher than regular registrations. As to wanting Snapnames to fail, I can't agree - they've always been straight with me. What about them makes you so angry?

Excellent points you make here, a very good post. Two of the best advantages to WSL are like you said, it will no doubt force NetSol (and other registrars too) to release names on a timely basis and regular schedule. Everyone blames NetSol but others also hold names. I have seen several names at various registrars on hold for ages, as long as one year or more.

Plus, another great advantage with WLS is as someone else also said, once you know there is a WLS on your name it guarantees a buyer for at least the amount of the WLS, perhaps a lot more money. WLS will be much more common than SnapNames so there will be many more possiblilities of getting WLS's on your names.

Regarding SnapNames, I agree, they seem to be an excellent firm and have always been professional and tried hard. I also understand they will become (or already are) partners with Afilias and assume much of the operational work of WLS. Far from going out of bsuiness the WLS will benefit them, in fact I hear it already has with large cash infusions from their new business partner.

H

hosting3.com

Originally posted by grabby

As to wanting Snapnames to fail, I can't agree - they've always been straight with me. What about them makes you so angry?

coz they are the right hand of Verisign (in expired domain name marked). And I hate Verisign/netsol

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
for the vast majority of people "first come, first serve" means that if you see an expiring domain AND are willing to be the first to put down some money, then you should be able to get it, with out having to put up with a lot of bull.

ah, so you feel you have a right to something? with that kind of attitude, you will never succeed. WLS does cater to losers, but in fact all it gives is just an ILLUSION of chances for good names

Whether I get "good" WLS subscriptions is irrelevant. It is extremely obvious that the best WLS subscriptions will indeed go to the big speculators. But you know what, I don't really care.

yeah. in the worst case scenario, you will change your hobby to something else.

There are still going to be plently of names that the big players over look, and more with the WLS.

what makes you think they are going to overlook more names with WLS?

In fact, nobody is better prepared to

1. spot all the attractive names
2. actually succeed in getting the wls subscriptions

they have the money and resources for it. Im sure they already have lists of names that are attractive in terms of resale value, traffic, and so on ready to be submitted. I don't think they are going to 'overlook' anything.

H

hosting3.com

Originally posted by goh
Who is Verisign's left hand then?

they don;t have a left hand, it's cut! hehe

But I believe their left hand is expired domain name spam fraud... stopped by a court now, I think

Originally posted by hosting3.com

they don;t have a left hand, it's cut! hehe

But I believe their left hand is expired domain name spam fraud... stopped by a court now, I think

Wait a minute, who can cut thier hand? Icannt , ucann ?

For those of you who think you will have a "fair" shot at WLS subscriptions, how do you see this happening? Remember that you won't have any more direct access to WLS subscriptions than you have to the RRP today. You'll have to go through a registrar, who will have to use their RRP connection to take out a WLS subscription.

With the money on the table here, the ones whe are going to grab the good names early are the ones with millions to invest in dropping names. Do you think you are going to "sneak in" somehow with your one WLS subscription?

There are so many scenarios for possible WLS subscription "chasing" that the only one who will make money on this - guaranteed - will be NetSol.

If you buy the WLS for SEX.COM, do you think it will ever drop? Really?

-t

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
If you buy the WLS for SEX.COM, do you think it will ever drop? Really?

-t

Think you'll even be ABLE to get the WLS for sex.com? :)

BTW, the Transfer Task Force report on WLS is out. It basically says, No, No, No, No, No, and, no but if you do it anyway don't charge more than six bucks.

link

Cheers :D

BD

Originally posted by bigdave
Think you'll even be ABLE to get the WLS for sex.com? :)
Which in and of itself is more to my point. Verisign will collect it's $35 a year for SEX.COM forever, even though it will never drop.

Is that a scam or what!

-t

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
Is that a scam or what!

-t

Certainly! Yet some of our flock here seem to believe rather naively they will benefit. I guess there is an argument that sheep do benefit from being sheared hehehe. :rolleyes:

It's interesting how an annual $6 registration plus an annual $24 WLS insurance/speculation fee almost gets Verisign back to the good old days of $35 per domain per year....

BD

p.s. - hot new idea! Let Cyberwings run the WLS! :eek:

I am sure we will see vanity wls's - bragging rights to names people will never own.

Kind of like top trump cards.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
I am sure we will see vanity wls's - bragging rights to names people will never own.

Kind of like top trump cards.

I almost spit my drink over the screen at that one! (You need to include "spew alerts" in the future.) I can see somebody's sig saying "owner of the WLS for sex.com"!

Dang, almost time to hit the road for the weekend. I'll definitely have to check in on this discussion with the lappy...

BD

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should put a WLS on microsoft.com, yahoo.com, netsol.com and others. You never know, they just might drop.

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigdave

I almost spit my drink over the screen at that one! (You need to include "spew alerts" in the future.) I can see somebody's sig saying "owner of the WLS for sex.com"!
BD

Ya, thats the ticket!
ICANN will have to setup the (WLSDRP) WLS Dispute Resolution Policy.
Only trademark owners will have rights to get a WLS on a trademarked name or risk the WLSDRP or worse getting sued for something you don't even own!

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>#3 - The current system is not first come first serve. Why do I make this
>assumption? Because I can be the first person to spot that asdfasdf.com will
>expire, yet I still will not necessarily get it.

Expiry is irrelevant.

When the name is DELETED, the first person to submit a request to the registry gets the name - hence FCFS.

(You moron)

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not define what I meant by "first come, first serve" in my original post. My definition of "first come" is spotting a name and being willing to pay for it immediately. If you would read carefully, I clarified this in a later post. If you do not agree with my definition, as it seems that you do not, just assign another name to it, say system X, where X is my definition of "first come, first serve". Then just replace "first come, first serve" in my original post with the letter X, and the problem is solved.

Originally posted by Drewbert
>#3 - The current system is not first come first serve. Why do I make this
>assumption? Because I can be the first person to spot that asdfasdf.com will
>expire, yet I still will not necessarily get it.

Expiry is irrelevant.

When the name is DELETED, the first person to submit a request to the registry gets the name - hence FCFS.

(You moron)

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no need to get fired up ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom