Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Very quiet in .ca domains lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
August has been a very quiet month for .ca's, even since mid-July.

there were two sales posted on Sedo today, hotelcheck.ca and holidaycheck.ca, for $500 and $3000 Euros each.

I'm thinking it will pick up in Sept, anyone else care to comment?

revolution1

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
agree, don't know why maybe the august effect

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not at all - doing gangbusters right now.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Huge, it has been a good time to pick up some quality names. There were also a few sales that were under the radar for XXXX. I expect the .ca market will be a slow steady rise unless something changes in the current reality.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love seeing the numeric .coms get such a high $$ hopefully it will help the .ca numerics...

Still wondering who is actually buying .ca right now?

This is a nice sale too, I think: FairTrade.ca $4,488

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are buying, always.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I love seeing the numeric .coms get such a high $$ hopefully it will help the .ca numerics...

Still wondering who is actually buying .ca right now?

NNN.ca's are a much more powerful investment than LLL.ca's :)

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dream on Investor ! :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably because of the general slowdown combined with Canada being comparative low population plus the restrictive CC reg requirements. Are the rules still in effect?

I am actually surprised the .ca ext has been as active as it has in view of the above.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What restrictions? ccTLD's should be restricted in my opinion.

Just like .us is restricted... .ca is no different.

ccTLD's that are not restricted at the beginning in my opinion....lose significant value in the future. They need to show strength from people actually living there. If you live in Canada you know that .ca's are very actively promoted here.

When you compare USA population vs Canadian populuation. (U.S. 10x larger)

1.4M .us registered and 1.07M .ca's registered.

Looking good to me from that aspect.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is not really a reasonable comparison between .us and .ca because the U.S. essentially owned .com and viewed it as its own ccTLD for a long time.

The .ca domain prices have gotten a bit too far ahead of the market overall, I think.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it's a reasonable comparison since most companies here in canada that advertise using .ca also own the .com. Therefore, it's really just lack of interest in the USA right now...and i think in the future you'll find an increase in people registering .us.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, the people down south have not ever considered what a ccTLD would be - to them, it is .com only. Consider the number of U.S. .com domains with "inc" or "usa" added in them rather than using .us instead.

I see many foreign companies register their protective .us domains and novelty "something-us" domains by others.

Since .us domains used to be free, you would have seen millions of registrations if people in the U.S. rated the .us domain as worthwhile.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Reread what i posted...there is no interest in .US ...but they have no choice to register them in the future. There are already 77 million .com's taken. You can't exactly get the generic you want...especially when they are owned by different companies...and not just in the U.S. but worldwide. The alternative (.us) will need to be used in the future.

Also consider the time when .us TLD came out...and when .ca extension came out. 1.4M .us taken really isn't that bad with the growing .com market.

Ricks

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Things should pick up in Sept with the business cycle.

.ca reg's are at 1,072,000 now which is still +10,000 new reg's each month

New .ca services launched over summer bodes well that more might be appearing in Fall.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.es is wide open and is still heavily used in Spain. I agree that Americans will have no choice but to turn to .us more and more simply because their preferred words/terms in .com and .net will be long gone.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No - .us is minor league and is not doing it for people in the U.S at all. Many countries are used to using a country code - how many folks in the U.S. even know what a country code is? They still want something.com, followed by something-company.com, then something.net, and all the rest. Even .biz does better with U.S. companies.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No - .us is minor league and is not doing it for people in the U.S at all. Many countries are used to using a country code - how many folks in the U.S. even know what a country code is? They still want something.com, followed by something-company.com, then something.net, and all the rest. Even .biz does better with U.S. companies.

I'm not even sure why we are talking about this in .ca thread. But i hardly think that growth of 10% + per year for .us is "minor league".

Even .ca's aren't growing that quickly and many know about .ca's purely because they are advertised constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom