Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed WAP Names

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameshub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much these Wap names are worth. I was surprised to find a couple of these. I guess the rage in WAP domains has died down.

waphandset.com
wapcellphone.com
wapmobilephone.com
waparcade.com
wapgames.us
wapgamingzone.com

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you may be right. I work for a large Telco client and WAP has been a real disaster.

GPRS seems to be the way forward for now.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>I was surprised to find a couple of these.

Why?

>I guess the rage in WAP domains has died down.

It was all HYPE. Much like 3G domain names.

Why did you register them?

Nameshub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The better question is, Drewbert, why did you reply in such an ignorant fashion? Its not all hype, because I play WAP games on my phone and I have recieved offers on them in the past.

WAP is not over and done with. You can contact companies that produce WAP software! Think of the possibilities.

I think its now becaome pretty clear that there really is almost no demand for wap/3g domains. I don't see why company's would want these kinds of names, wouldn't they just use a their brand name rather than a name with "3g" or "wap" in it.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, they likely will not want to brand a 3G name. They should get popular if and when 3-G catches on better and the technology improves but mostly for traffic purposes. With increased consumer demand real 3G terms may be used as traffic catcher names. However, that's likely a few yrs in the future.

For example, if 3-G is popular, websurfers may type-in phrases like 3G Music, 3G Network, 3G Downloads and other real-name terms.

I agree regarding names like 3GXP, 3GSP, 3GWAP, 3GW, 3GASP, 3GBS, 3GPR and zillions of others reg'd during the 3-G craze of approx' 2 yrs ago. These abbreviated names which are not real terms or real words are likely worthless and may never have value.

P.S. It's hard to believe the owner of 3GSP.com turned down a 1 million dollar offer :confused: for that name in the past, as reported. It's been alleged it really did not happen as claimed.

Nameshub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I feel that WAP is not what it was originally "hyped up" to be, but it is not a technology to be ignored either. More and more handsets like ones from Motorola (the one I use) are incorporating WAP browsers so cell phone users can browse the Internet, use email, play games etc. That said, I think the names could possibly gather interest from companies if WAP and the Wireless Internet get more more mainstream acceptance in the future. I could be wrong, but we will have to see. I did not buy them off an expired list just to sell them for megabucks a few days later. It will take time.

In the meantime, I just may develop the game-related wap games because I know that wireless gaming is catching on. Just look at the 2.5 million wireless game subscribers in Japan!

T

Tee

I agree with the sentiment about "rage" names. I guess it's easy to fall prey to the latest hype or 5 second fashion.

That said, what do you guys think about 3gtechnology.net?

I think its kinda dumb because what are you gonna do with it? Explain 3gtechnolgy on some site?

I just like it because it is a buzz phrase and there is a vanity element happening there however I do doubt it has real use.

Any thoughts? I also have this phrase in 3 other major extensions (not .com - dang it). I like the way 3 and g ryhmes. I never did like wap names. Seems like you are saying something offensive with "wap". Still, I often doubt my choices with naming.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Originally posted by Tee
I do doubt it has real use.

Tee, I think that comment kind of sums it up :) , if the name has little obvious use then the the chance of someone paying much for it is very low in my view.

Nameshub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The use could be huge if WAP actually realizes some of its potential. It just takes a little forward-thinking I guess. For example, a wireless carrier may be interested in the name to promote that it has internet functionality in its phones. Then it could showcase all the WAP enabled phones it supports on its network. In addition, an upstart WAP phone maker may be interested in it eventually.

I never cared for 3G because numbers really devalue a name. I like WAP because its short and it has kind of an attitude to it. GPRS is alot less recognizable in my view.

I have been contacted on 3 of the names as well. The guy wanted to me to get them appraised before he wanted to give me an offer. When I get them appraised for around $7k total at allfordomains.com, he turns around and offers me only 20% of the appraised value. Looking back, I should have took the money and ran, but he was still a real jerk for having me appraise them and then offering only 20% of that appraisal. Oh well, growing pains in the name game I guess.

Originally posted by Nameshub

I have been contacted on 3 of the names as well. The guy wanted to me to get them appraised before he wanted to give me an offer. When I get them appraised for around $7k total at allfordomains.com, he turns around and offers me only 20% of the appraised value. Looking back, I should have took the money and ran, but he was still a real jerk for having me appraise them and then offering only 20% of that appraisal. Oh well, growing pains in the name game I guess.

err, wasn't there an appraisal scam like that going around a few months ago?

Nameshub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There was? I used allfordomains.com's sample mailing list and that guy replied from that. He said he wanted an appraisal from allfordomains.com or Greatdomains.com's premium appraisal. Since I was not going to pay $75 per appraisal, I used allfordomains.com. However, allfordomains only give a certificate saying how much it is worth with little in explanation about the actual name. Below is a link to my certificate.

http://www.allfordomains.com/appraisal.asp?Domain=waphandset.com

Personally I'd be very cautious of anyone asking for an appraisal especially where a company like allfordomains.com is suggested (especially after you sent email to a list provided by allfordomains.com themselves - likely their CEO replied).

On a more general note paid appraisals are a waste of time and money - they are telling you what you want to hear, rather than giving a valuation which bears any resembelence to reality.

Nameshub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very True. I learned my lesson on ordering domain appraisals the hard way. Thanks for your insight, Snoopy.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Drewbert is a disgruntled Mexican. Such a miserable outlook and attitude towards everything discussed on this board.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>Drewbert is a disgruntled Mexican. Such a miserable outlook and attitude towards everything discussed on this board.

No, I just have no time for stupidity, other than to highlight it (which is what I do for enjoyment when making bucket loads of money gets tedious). And there's PLENTY of stupidity in the domain speculation business.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just have no time for stupidity, other than to highlight it (which is what I do for enjoyment
Sounds like you need a life, if you get your nut-off by intentionally starting arguements via a monitor separated by thousands of miles. What do you feel this sudden adrenaline rush when talking shit about one's domain? haha. Live real life a little. And you wont be so enthused about living this net-life of Message board rebellion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom