Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Web 2.0 Propeties

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Afternoon DNF,

I am currently building out a Web 2.0 property on Wordpress in hopes of bringing my primary keyword, beards, from the second page of Google up to the first. Within 72 hours, I will have 7 high-quality articles that contain two contextual backlinks each.

So basically, my high quality Wordpress site will get blasted with 60 links from 30 Web 2.0 properties and receive 150 social shares. The second tier Web 2.0 properties will have 300 blog comments pointing towards them. Essentially, it's a four tiered system that should provide a significant boost to my SERP position.

I'll update you when I see results..

Regards,
Shane

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It will be helpful to know how your site improves on Google. Have you secured any high PR links yet ?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It will be helpful to know how your site improves on Google. Have you secured any high PR links yet ?

I have really only received 1 solid backlink and that was from Technorati. It didn't really help my SERP position. The rest are pretty low quality but have boosted my domain authority to 30 and my page authority to 37. I was surprised that these low quality links impacted my "authority" at all.

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have really only received 1 solid backlink and that was from Technorati. It didn't really help my SERP position. The rest are pretty low quality but have boosted my domain authority to 30 and my page authority to 37. I was surprised that these low quality links impacted my "authority" at all.

Perhaps they didn't. I've had sites improve their authority with no backlinks at all.

IMO you'll need at least 1 good (PR 4+) relevant do-follow backlink.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they didn't. I've had sites improve their authority with no backlinks at all.

IMO you'll need at least 1 good (PR 4+) relevant do-follow backlink.

I do have several Wikipedia citations that have carried me for a while.

My website has pretty much gone as far as it can naturally. Now it's time to get my butt into gear and create some solid links!

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do much of that.. with all the recent updates all these links eventually tend to catch up with you and do more damage than good by causing various google penalties. You might get some quick improvement in serps but in an update or two it's likely to drop further if you overdo links. As long as it's just a couple web 2.0 pages at a time and just a small number of good links that should be ok though. But, you've done a pretty good job on it so far, so be careful with those links!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do much of that.. with all the recent updates all these links eventually tend to catch up with you and do more damage than good by causing various google penalties. You might get some quick improvement in serps but in an update or two it's likely to drop further if you overdo links. As long as it's just a couple web 2.0 pages at a time and just a small number of good links that should be ok though. But, you've done a pretty good job on it so far, so be careful with those links!

I'm only building around 5 Web 2.0 properties with 5-8 pages of content each. The 3rd and 4th tier links might be overkill but I figure what's the harm? :D

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of you may disagree, but I don't even believe links are relevant anymore, especially unnatural links, I think Google algorithm is in Beast Mode right now and can detect almost anything unnatural.

Instead of the blast, why not just add more quality articles and content?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of you may disagree, but I don't even believe links are relevant anymore, especially unnatural links, I think Google algorithm is in Beast Mode right now and can detect almost anything unnatural.

Instead of the blast, why not just add more quality articles and content?

Honestly, my problem is Beards.org. They outrank me for damn near everything. I have better content then them, a better design and better on-page SEO. They have been online longer, have more images and more backlinks. The only thing I can do is build some backlinks and see if that helps. I'm just problem solving based on the information I have.

Why not add more content? Simply put, because I don't need more content to increase my traffic yet. Simply by ranking higher, I could legitimately quadruple my daily traffic. Quadrupling my traffic should quadruple my revenue, which then makes it viable to add more content.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Honestly, my problem is Beards.org. They outrank me for damn near everything. I have better content then them, a better design and better on-page SEO. They have been online longer, have more images and more backlinks. The only thing I can do is build some backlinks and see if that helps. I'm just problem solving based on the information I have.

Why not add more content? Simply put, because I don't need more content to increase my traffic yet. Simply by ranking higher, I could legitimately quadruple my daily traffic. Quadrupling my traffic should quadruple my revenue, which then makes it viable to add more content.

Shane, looking at your site, I believe you should start with on-site. I may be wrong(I just scanned over your source), but I think you were missing basic meta tags, such as meta keyword attribute.... If you want to out rank them fast, just use Google+ or Facebook... Also, I said content, because they have 30K pages indexed, you only have 69, so not as important as doing some on-site work, but it may help...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shane, looking at your site, I believe you should start with on-site. I may be wrong(I just scanned over your source), but I think you were missing basic meta tags, such as meta keyword attribute.... If you want to out rank them fast, just use Google+ or Facebook... Also, I said content, because they have 30K pages indexed, you only have 69, so not as important as doing some on-site work, but it may help...

Meta tags and descriptions haven't been relevant in a while.

Also, the majority of their 30,000 pages are images. They have a killer photo gallery.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meta tags and descriptions haven't been relevant in a while.

Also, the majority of their 30,000 pages are images. They have a killer photo gallery.

Meta tags, semantic tags, etc... are the only way to communicate with bot's... If they are not there, you are not effectively feeding the bot's the information they need and they just leave your site with no info. Thus, shooting yourself in the foot... No way for the bot to know what your content is about without these tags... For example, without a description tag, crap shows up in Google for your site, like something random text off your page...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meta tags, semantic tags, etc... are the only way to communicate with bot's... If they are not there, you are not effectively feeding the bot's the information they need and they just leave your site with no info. Thus, shooting yourself in the foot... No way for the bot to know what your content is about without these tags... For example, without a description tag, crap shows up in Google for your site, like something random text off your page...

Google doesn't use the "keywords" meta tag in our web search ranking.
-Matt Cutts

Google also overrides the meta description.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel stupid for the 1000's of hours I spent doing keyword research for the meta keyword's... But hey, that's the only tag Google does not care about, so the others will be worth adding...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel stupid for the 1000's of hours I spent doing keyword research for the meta keyword's... But hey, that's the only tag Google does not care about, so the others will be worth adding...

For the record, I do have unique meta descriptions but they tend to be overridden by Google.

Google's generation of page titles and descriptions (or "snippets") is completely automated and takes into account both the content of a page as well as references to it that appear on the web. The goal of the snippet and title is to best represent and describe each result and explain how it relates to the user's query.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
09', the other video I linked was more recent, stating, they do not override descriptions. Either way, Google is bipolar, one minute it's this, next minute that....

I will find the appropriate literature on this one day.. :)

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shane I'm not sure your site is better. Though I've read a couple articles on it and yes, they are fun and engaging.

Talking about rankings, you are only PR2 and .org is PR4 so they have a big advantage. Check here , they got a lot of quality links. Like 10x your links, pal. It will be very tough to outrank them, but GL if you try.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators