Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Weekly Topic: Please add to it.. This one focuses on offers incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you get an offer what's the first thing you do with it?

Here's what I do..

1) take email and domain and look for similarities.
Example I had Frank Bee enfuire about fbee.com
2) If that turs up empty take the whole email and type it in google and see where it leads you.
4) Then take the front part of the email and search that in google and see what it leads to.
5) Research the domain history and what the most popular domain tld for the one you own.
Example, I had some weird five letter domain zeugo.com no sense to me so I found t was a companythat had no tm's but made bikes in another courtry.
There initialoffer was $400 and after ressearching we closed at $6000.

Know you buyer clearlly before selling any domain.

I will add more later.

Please add any positive steps wecaould all benefit from...

And I only see based on a high revenue multiple.

This leads me to tomorrow, section opening where you can post received offers and get real appraisals. I feel this will benefit people selling wanting to make sure they are not getting ripped off.

Let me know your thoughts on that!

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
anyone care to add to this...

-=DCG=-

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do pretty much the same as you described above for emails, but the scenerio is different for places like Sedo, where you may not be able to find out who is making the offer.

Also for phone calls, it important not to be rushed into an agreement on the initial call. Always get a number to return the call, so you have time to think!

this helps to verify a caller to some extent also.

followyourbliss

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you get an offer what's the first thing you do with it?

This leads me to tomorrow, section opening where you can post received offers and get real appraisals. I feel this will benefit people selling wanting to make sure they are not getting ripped off.

Let me know your thoughts on that!

-=DCG=-

Looking forward to this new section you've mentioned. A great benefit for us newbies who aren't sure of anything yet, much less value of our domains. Thanks!

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like to have all communication done by e-mail/IM. I do not like to do business in this industry over the phone. I want a written record of what was communicated in case things go sideways. If there is a phone call, I would not let that be the final conversation, follow up with an e-mail detailing any important parts of the phone call. It's not just about fraud, there is to much chance for confusion in a transaction. Seen to many arguements here over what was communicated.

If an offer is totally unsolicited from an unknown party, I ask them to make their first offer also their final offer. I may say that I will only reply if the offer is accepted. Doesn't mean this is always the case, but if I'm looking for thousands and they are offering hundreds as their "final offer", I won't reply.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like to have all communication done by e-mail/IM. I do not like to do business in this industry over the phone. I want a written record of what was communicated in case things go sideways. If there is a phone call, I would not let that be the final conversation, follow up with an e-mail detailing any important parts of the phone call. It's not just about fraud, there is to much chance for confusion in a transaction. Seen to many arguements here over what was communicated.

If an offer is totally unsolicited from an unknown party, I ask them to make their first offer also their final offer. I may say that I will only reply if the offer is accepted. Doesn't mean this is always the case, but if I'm looking for thousands and they are offering hundreds as their "final offer", I won't reply.

you have some valid points concerning phone calls, however it has worked fine for me, especially this year!

after the intial call, I'll return the call and inquire about the nature of interest and purpose, how they found my number and such.
one who responds saying they found it in "whois" is already domain savy, but to what degree, you must figure out!

I will have a firm price in mind before I return the call. if agreement is made to purchase, I direct them to Sedo with instructions on how to select the name and place offer. Sold at least 3 or 4 names this year over the phone with no hangups.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For pricing and negotiating, I would also consider generic domains in two categories:

1) General Interest: Likely to be many buyers, therefor you can negotiate for a higher price because this offer is not likely to be the last.

2) Specific Interest: The domain is so specific that you may not see another interested party for 2 years or more...if ever. This may cause me to sell at a lower price once I have an interested buyer. Adam's example of Fbee.com might fit in this category, particularly if it has no real value to you other than speculation.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For pricing and negotiating, I would also consider generic domains in two categories:

1) General Interest: Likely to be many buyers, therefor you can negotiate for a higher price because this offer is not likely to be the last.

2) Specific Interest: The domain is so specific that you may not see another interested party for 2 years or more. This may cause me to sell at a lower price once I have an interested buyer.

point # 2 is interesting because.....

usually if I hand register a domain that i have a hunch on, it is usually sold within the first 3 months or sold after the second year. don't know why, but i've been seeing that pattern.

maybe names that sell after 2 yrs. are more attractive because they have some age?

for typos, I could register 100 today and maybe sell them all tommorrow for a tiny profit. ;)

but not!

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:thumb:a great topic!!
Thanks for starting this Adam

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's see if any of the Exclusive Member can give me some advice :D

I received email below on July 2nd.
-----------------------------------------
Mr. Park:

According to whois, you are the owner of domain www.strangevoice.com.
Is this domain for sale?

If so, could you please provide some recent traffic statistics?

Thank You,

Rich Anderson
Chewie Productions

I replied back on same date.
Hi Mr. Anderson,

Almost anything is for sale if price is right ;-)
Traffic is very minimal. Consider it none.
This domain is not traffic domain.
It's brandable domain.
I am thinking to developing it into site for paranormal/ghost thing.

However, if price is right...

Regards,
Jonathan

On July 9th reply.
With this minimal traffic, I'd be willing to pay $200 for this domain.

Acceptable?

Thanks,

Rich Anderson
------------------------------------------

On his last email, he removed "Chewie Productions".
I tried to find out little about Chewie Productions and
there isn't much info on the net.

I only found one - Could be Belfest film company.

Rich Anderson - Can't figure out who is right person because too many different Rich :p

I know that this person is not complete dummy by seeing he was asking for traffic stats.

I really do not care much about 200.00
I rather prefer test and learn from this thing :)

What kind of reply should I send?

So...
Any Exclusives care to comment?

Thanks in advance

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's see if any of the Exclusive Member can give me some advice :D

I received email below on July 2nd.
Mr. Park:

According to whois, you are the owner of domain www.strangevoice.com.
Is this domain for sale?

If so, could you please provide some recent traffic statistics?

Thank You,

Rich Anderson
Chewie Productions

I replied back on same date.
Hi Mr. Anderson,

Almost anything is for sale if price is right ;-)
Traffic is very minimal. Consider it none.
This domain is not traffic domain.
It's brandable domain.
I am thinking to developing it into site for paranormal/ghost thing.

However, if price is right...

Regards,
Jonathan

On July 9th reply.
With this minimal traffic, I'd be willing to pay $200 for this domain.

Acceptable?

Thanks,

Rich Anderson
------------------------------------------

On his last email, he removed "Chewie Productions".
I tried to find out little about Chewie Productions and
there isn't much info on the net.

I only found one - Could be Belfest film company.

Rich Anderson - Can't figure out who is right person because too many different Rich :p

I know that this person is not complete dummy by seeing he was asking for traffic stats.

I really do not care much about 200.00
I rather prefer test and learn from this thing :)

What kind of reply should I send?

So...
Any Exclusives care to comment?

Thanks in advance

Do you have a price in mind?

I usually reply with a minimum price range, so this eliminates lowballers and tirekickers.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly come back with a much higher price. There are then four main possibilities:

1. He pays it (yay!).

2. He offers something in between, and then the negotiations continue.

3. He says, "Sorry, it's really only worth $200 to me", and then you stay firm and say "Thanks anyway, and if you ever have a better offer for this nice domain, I'd be glad to discuss it with you".

4. You never hear from him again.

Since you don't want #3 or (especially) #4 to happen, use nice language and give him some wiggle room. For example:

-----
While I appreciate your offer, my expected price for this domain is $2,000. "Strange voice" is a very popular phrase (more than 100,000 hits on Google), meaning that this domain has many potential uses. If you can approach that price level, we are likely to reach a deal that could make it yours. Please let me know your best offer, and we can proceed from there.
-----

(The wording could be polished a bit; I just dashed this off. But you get the idea - it's not a take-it-or-leave-it reply, so he might feel that he can get a bargain by going to $1,500 or something.)

Good luck,
Dave

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs biggedon and Dave.

It's great reply, but, little late :D
I already sent following reply.

--------------------------
Sorry for replying late.

Thanks for the offer.
But, no thank you.

I can do without $200 ;-)

Wish you well.

His reply.
Thanks. Sorry to have disappointed you but there are plenty of other "strange" domains out there. Good luck with your "ghost" website or with finding somebody else willing to give you something for the unused domain.

My reply.
I usually do not bother to respond when offer is low.
But, you are so polite. You deserve reply ;-)

You did not disappoint me.
At least, you didn't say "I'll pay 50 bucks" ;-)
This is one domain I intend to develop.
I watch every episode of "Ghost Hunters" on Sci Fi Channel.
I may regret it later if you offered like $x,xxx and I sell it to you.

I won't be looking for buyer as I want to develop " StrangeVoice.com
And it's being unused until my development teams get to it.
Actually, it is being used somewhat. I am getting paid every time someone click on the link from parked page ;-)
----------------------------

I figured...
Uninterested party usually don't reply back when I reply with "No Thank you".
So, in my last reply, I slightly hinted that I might sell it if the offer is over $1K and I am not in a hurry to sell at the same time.

So, now, it's either he reply back with another offer closer to 1K or never hear from him again.

I don't think he'll reply back, but, I am not too interested to sell it under 1K :D

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We should get this weekly topics thing rolling as its been a while. Since we all have different techniques and strategies in domaining.... perhaps how this should work is that a member can send DCG or Impact or a mod a topic and from a pool of topic, a good and fitting post can be added. That way, Adam doesn't have to do the bulk of the work yet things can still be active and moving with great discussions, tips, advice, and alternative methods of doing different things in this industry.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check the phone number (if given) for different combinations with and without the hyphens and parenthesis, This will often turn up additional info about the prospect.

I check the IP, sometimes if I can check the browser user agent they use (which can have revealing tidbits of information) (img src & form capture parameters are beautiful things),
search for their email address as already suggested, search for their email identifier without the @**.**,
search for their name (quotes and without) (search for their name + domain[or industry of domain][minus extension] oftentimes reveals interesting results),
their phone (searching phone with different combinations of hyphens and without, parenthesis and without, with and without the area code, etc. you get different results), pretty much whatever I can lookup I will oftentimes do the legwork and flip the stones.

Looking at the language and doing a good forensic analysis of all the facts between the interested party as well as info about the domain itself can save you from some problems later and perhaps pay off if you do end up selling, you can respond accordingly.
You can also look at it this way, it's not only about saving your rear (buyer may have something other than buying the domain in mind, it's also about milking the cow when that chance arises, too.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently got an email from an interested buyer for one of my good LLLL.com, so I countered with $4k by escrow and he accepted, asking if it has traffic and how would I like to get paid.. and then added that he would like to get the domain appraised. He linked to some fake forum post saying that all paid appraisals, like afternic, are crap and there is one that is good, his site apparently.

So it was pretty easy to figure out it's just another appraisal scam. Beware of these.

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good tips Guys!...thanks......but what do u do when it's a SEDO offer?....All this goes out the window.....right?....no way of playing this game with a SEDO offer.....you have no idea if Disney...Google...or some other large MONSTER corp is sitting on the other side of that bid on SEDO......yes...u can counter-offer...but.....if it was Disney and they offer $200...and you counter with $1000 (they say yes----pocket change for them)....u later notice it was Disney (on whois)...and realize u just got screwed out of a few more zeros at the end of $1000......how do u handle something like this?.....counter offer with $250,000 if u think it's a great quality...one word brandable name?.....this is what i have just done.....got an offer for $100 EUR on a one-word.com brand-able name.......not wanting to let it go too cheaply.....i counter-offered some crazy high number....knowing i might not hear back...but also knowing i aint wanting to sell it for $1000 either.....any thoughts?

thanks
tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators