Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld What the fark CIRA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is my odd situation...

Sold a domain to an end-user. They did a registrar transfer - I approved it. They then attempted to do a registrant transfer but did it wrong so that it would change all the domains under that single registrant id. I of course rejected this change. Yet in my CIRA control panel all technical contacts now reflect the change I denied in the first place! All domains now show their details for the technical contact! :?:

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
. Yet in my CIRA control panel all technical contacts now reflect the change I denied in the first place! All domains now show their details for the technical contact! :?:

I've noticed a number of members here have strange technical contacts. DCG being one example.

I would report it.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is my odd situation...

Sold a domain to an end-user. They did a registrar transfer - I approved it. They then attempted to do a registrant transfer but did it wrong so that it would change all the domains under that single registrant id. I of course rejected this change. Yet in my CIRA control panel all technical contacts now reflect the change I denied in the first place! All domains now show their details for the technical contact! :?:

If you are set up with Change With/Out Approval ;) the technical contacts can be changed independently of any Administrative Contact, and it could be that those settings were updated before you even had the message to approve the transfer itself.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Change without approval Registrar: None

And yes, it was netfirms.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had this issue before with netfirms. They are an incompetent registrar and have no idea what they are doing.

Do yourself a favour and transfer all your names out or one day you will regret it.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is perhaps the mistake - a common one - in that first making the registrar transfer could have set things up so that they use the Technical Contact settings from the new registrant, and the other domains simply went along.

Next time consider a registrant transfer and then a registrar transfer.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

If someone has access to only one of your domains at a registrar, they can change your tech. contact as well as DNS on that domain.

Most non-DNF members don't understand how to do a 1-domain transfer. (This includes some of Canada's bigger corps)

You're better off setting up a new account at namespro and a new CIRA account with all their pertinent info, doing the transfer yourself, and then giving them all the login info. They then can do what they want.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had this issue before with netfirms. They are an incompetent registrar and have no idea what they are doing.

Do yourself a favour and transfer all your names out or one day you will regret it.

Netfirms is the one who initiated the registrant change on behalf of their client. They didn't know how so I told them to ask netfirms to do it for them and they still got it wrong!

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If someone has access to only one of your domains at a registrar, they can change your tech. contact as well as DNS on that domain.

Most non-DNF members don't understand how to do a 1-domain transfer. (This includes some of Canada's bigger corps)

You're better off setting up a new account at namespro and a new CIRA account with all their pertinent info, doing the transfer yourself, and then giving them all the login info. They then can do what they want.

You have to be careful there since they did not agree to the CIRA Terms and Conditions if you create an account for them, but whatever works for you.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The issue has to do with netfirms. I hate to be bashful here, but you are in for more headaches if you continue dealing with this registrar. They are not meant to be for domainers, in fact they treat domainers like crap. Go namespro and you will see what real customer support is and this would never happen there.

Registrant transfer then Registrar transfer, but it needs to be done correctly.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Roy,

I had the same exact issue with you. It was netfirms. They are clueless they think every registrant has only one domain in their CIRA account.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NetFirms is famous for this and they don't know what they do.. They allowed domains to be registered under my Registrant ID.. So did GoDaddy!! Very bad Registars in my opinion!!! Too bad...

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NetFirms is famous for this and they don't know what they do.. They allowed domains to be registered under my Registrant ID.. So did GoDaddy!! Very bad Registars in my opinion!!! Too bad...

the same thing happened to me. I just corrected the tech contact back to what it should have been.

no biggie... However, it happened with Domains at Cost.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem with changing the contact info back is it is possible (although unlikely) that during that time they can request info and take over your CIRA account.

When this issue initially happened with me i actually created a new CIRA account just in case. I did not want to risk the other persons contact information to have my username and password to CIRA.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One good thing is that I have all my domains at NamesPro...and they have installed another failsafe step for any domain transfers. Also, maybe you can tell me, what happens if the tech email is different than the contact email....can there be rant transfers without my knowing?

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
QM,

If it's the technical email it's not a problem. As technical information isn't enough to request transfers, although it is a pain. In my case it was both tech and admin that were changed. So i was in panic mode and quickly created new CIRA account and transferred everything.

I actually contacted Netfirms as soon as it happened explaining situation and they were clueless but still they helped me transfer everything. It could have resulted bad...but that was enough for me to never deal with them again.

Last edited:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd still like to know how it happened being that I have registrar changes without approval set to none, and I rejected the change via the CIRA panel.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how it happens. I rejected the transfer as well and all of a sudden everything changed in my account.

I discussed the matter with namespro later, the only thing they told me is there are certain ways to do the transfer requests. I showed them what happened with netfirms and they told me they are doing the request process incorrectly (they are assuming you only have one domain in your account).

I do hope that in the future CIRA makes this process easier and less confusing for others.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd still like to know how it happened being that I have registrar changes without approval set to none, and I rejected the change via the CIRA panel.

It is pretty simple: if the code does not look at CWA then it will not matter how it is set, so only the minimum - the domain with admin contact - is sent for your approval.

Let it be a lesson - make a separate technical contact for each domain and make sure it uses a different e-mail address than the administrative contact.

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This happens at domainsatcost also. I once had a rant do this about 10 times. There was no getting through to her. She initated an admin contact info change through cira. With one slip of the finger all our domains would have undergone an admin contact change. The tech contact can be changed back locallly without going throught Cira. I suspect that there are other registrars that provide this unintended process (what can amount to a loss of control). Unless you are dealing with a buyer that knows what they are doing and are familiar with Cira processes it is best to perform the Registrant transfer first even if you have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom