Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed What's the best name for you ?...

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frenchie

I have to choose the best possible domain name to build a site dedicated in a first time to sell my domain names, between this list :

- DomainsAdviser.com
- DomainsMine.com (like for a coal mine, not as "my" domains)
- NameAdviser.com
- NamesAdviser.com
- NubNames.com
- OptiNames.com
- WebDomainsMine.com
- YNames.com (already posted here)

If everyone of you could either tell me his preferred name (even without explanation), it would help me very much, or even to eliminate more strange names...

Domain summit 2024

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From this list, I would use OptiNames. It's short and reasonably memorable. Opti is a fairly common abbreviation for optimum. NameAdviser would be my second choice, but you are really selling names not advising people on what to select. The tense is wrong for DomainsAdviser and DomainsMine. Both should be singular. Nubnames and YName make no sense to me.

F

Frenchie

Thank you, Duke, for your suggestions. In French too, Opti is an abbr. of Optimal. For NameAdviser, it is not impossible, at a later stage, that the site would give some advise ... About DomainsAdviser and DomainsMine, I do'nt see why it must be singular (probably a grammatic rule I ignore, as French speaking). ... Thanks for further advising ...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frenchie - it probably does have to do with English as opposed to French. My daughter studies French in a high school honors program - I will have to ask her!

But we do not say Goldsmine or Diamondsmine. The prefix is always singular. SInce your main purpose will be selling names I like OptiNames better than NameAdviser. With NameAdviser people will think your main business is to serve as a consultant of some kind.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pretty much exactly what he said... although I would probably put OptiNames and NameAdvisor as a tie.

YNames could be confused with WhyNames... which would not only be bad for mis-typing, but could send the message -- "Why Buy Names?" -- not a message you want to send! :)

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too would use OptiNames.

I don't like NameAdviser so much becuase it can be confused with NameAdvisor. Both spellings (Adviser/Advisor) are acceptable, and Advisor may be preferred.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dmorel - I think you are correct about the spelling on NameAdviser. I rarely misspell a name and my first thought was that Adviser was misspelled. I consulted the dictionary as well and saw that both are acceptable. However, I also think most people use Advisor.

F

Frenchie

Thank so much," 3D" (did you remark that all your own names start by "D" ?), for these converging advises ...

Duke, when your daughter has some questions about French, ask to me, you are welcome ...

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Optinames sounds good.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Frenchie

Duke, when your daughter has some questions about French, ask to me, you are welcome ...

Thanks Frenchie - I just might have her do that! I took a year of French myself in college, but you know what they say (at least here), "use it or lose it". I didn't use it and I lost it!

I visited Paris several years ago and attempted a few phrases, but after the people in the restaurants failed to understand "Does my salad come with hubcaps or garden tools?" I resorted to pointing at items on the menu and taking my chances!

F

Frenchie

After all these friendly advises, I will have no other choice than to build up my site ... but that could be another thread about what and how to do it ...

adviser vs advisor
colour vs color
optimise vs optimize
centre vs center
etc...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Goh:

Those are all easy calls for the American brand of English:

advisor, color, optimize and center win hands down. However the

the Brits (who take credit for inventing the language ),

prefer the alternates you listed above in most cases.

F

Frenchie

Fantastic... I got here a marvelous lesson to improve my English...

i like nameadviser.com - but there is that prob with er/or

optinames.com sounds ok as a creative name imo.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overture search lists 2,099 searches for advisor,
437 for adviser.

He stated his purpose is to sell from a list of names. If he offered more name branding services, then I would prefer nameadviser even with the less attractive spelling (nameadvisor is not available). But if he is sticking to just a list of names, I would stay with OptiNames. Not a great name - "OK" is the right description; but from the list offered by Frenchie it would serve his purposes.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My answers are below each domain, sorry if it became part of the quoted text.....

Originally posted by Frenchie

- DomainsAdviser.com
----------------------------
okay, not bad, maybe pushing it with the alternate spelling. It may even be acceptable in some circles actually, the -er I mean.
But are you willing to advise your clients on domain registration? :) For free?

- DomainsMine.com (like for a coal mine, not as "my" domains)

if you have to explain, it means just that. You dont get a chance to explain a domain name to shoppers on search engines.

- NameAdviser.com
nope, unless you like to answer emails about baby's names. LOL

- NamesAdviser.com
it may get lost in space with double discrepancy

- NubNames.com
um..

- OptiNames.com
maybe your best bet. I hope you have it registered already.

- WebDomainsMine.com
see above

- YNames.com (already posted here)
Being the strange person I am, I like this one too.

Between OptiNames and YNames I think I like to former but choose the one that fits your personality (Opti=unique, more arcane, uncharted territory & longer; YNames=risky risky risky but shorter and could become a household item, in theory "Y not get your domains at Ynames?")

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

PS YOu have been warned not to listen

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by IPatlas
- NameAdviser.com
nope, unless you like to answer emails about baby's names

Ha, Name Adviser could be a large business in Asia, for Chinese in particular.
We regard a good name for baby is the first issue while he or she was born, and make a lucky name for your business is very important too, a good name means everything, Chinese believe good names will bring you luck,fortune and success, naming a good name is a big business.
Try to sell nameadviser.com to Chinese and you will get something I think.
Good luck.

:D

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good point by yesonline!

Don't try to develop it tho unless you are into Chinese astrology and such. If the name turn to be "unlucky" the adviser bears the curse. Am I right yesonline or am I reading too many deleted domains in 4pt text?

Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Hi Goh:

Those are all easy calls for the American brand of English:

advisor, color, optimize and center win hands down. However the

the Brits (who take credit for inventing the language ),

prefer the alternates you listed above in most cases.

Hi Duke of Earl:

Thx.net for telling me their difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators