Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's the most important thing you have learned domaining?

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jumping back into the business after being out of it for many years. Seems like a lot has changed and there is an overwhelming amount of information floating about. Seems like a lot of sharks too! As such, I thought I'd solcit input from all of you fellow domainers regarding important lessons that you have learned along the way. What's your best piece of advice, so a beginner doesn't get burned? Thanks in advance for any educational responses you can provide!

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stay away from TM and celeb. names

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Never to buy domains based on automated appraisals.
2. Never buy TM domains
3. Never buy domains based on Traffic stats provided by Sedo and GoDaddy
4. Register or buy keyword domains. Brandable domains are harder to sell.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be able to read between the lines and translate the bullshit, for example a recent thread on Dnforum, full of fail, with translations in BOLD:

xxx.org plus 170 aged Renewable Energy Domains with FREE websites

Free shit! Must be Good!

PM OFFERS PRIVATELY mail@XXXX.org

Dont post any offers in thread because I know they will be lowball if I get any at all!

Power Of Wind (xxx.org) Renewable Energy Portfolio
Governments around the world are turning to renewable energy to end our dependence on fossil fuels. The industry for wind power energy has shown tremendous employment potential as it has employed more than fifty thousand people in America alone.The U.S. Energy Department is very hopeful about its prospects and it has been estimated that about 500,000 jobs in this industry will be created by the end of 2030. Renewable energy sources include wind, solar, biomass, geothermal and hydro, all of which occur naturally on our planet.

500,000 people will all be looking for domains, but hey I am such a nice guy I will sell them to you at great loss to myself!

My portfolio includes specific names that are targeted towards Renewable Energies of which I have listed below for your interest and you will find the domains are all aged and very generic with the best search extensions.

This sounds really fine although I'm not totally sure what it means!

I am offering the entire energy domain portfolio plus free published websites for 170 unique names in Renewable Energies.

No income being declared on the websites as majority were completed last year.

I know these websites are new and worthless and they get no traffic but hey they are published, and free!

I am not looking at splitting these websites as I feel the portfolio will suit a serious investor that has an understanding of true values and future income potential here.

I know there is one or maybe 2 domains that are worth anything and if I sell them off alone I will be stuck with the rest! Maybe if I say "serious investor" I can catch the interest of some noob and hock the whole lot!

Domain name registrar: GoDaddy (free push into your own GoDaddy account)

Another Free thing for you what a bonus!

Terms: Accept payment via Escrow services at purchasers expense.

Hey my domains are so good if you want to buy them you can pay for the privilege!

Cue post after post of the op thanking everyone for all the responses and questions (although no one else has posted in the thread), and then lo and behold the sale has finished with the headline domain now on auction somewhere else and the rest of the portfolio "under offer", come on mate do you think we are all idiots?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't speculate on 'creative' domains that might (but most likely won't) be worth big bucks in some kind of remote future (alternate reality).
Speculation won't pay the bills.
Buy domains that are already worth money today.

Quality over quantity.

Avoid exotic extensions.

Keep track of your inventory and expenses.

Keep portfolio slim, cut losses.

Keep in touch with the market, analyze reported sales.

Don't believe the hype :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's the most important thing you have learned domaining

i'd say... "if it's too good to be true, then most likely it's a trap"

i think this scenerio catches more people, because we all look for best deal.

seen it time and time again, where someone will post "in demand" domain names @ "steal prices" and later find they were stolen or buyer pays and never receives the names.

sometimes it pays to be hesitant...

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quality over quantity.
Keep track of your inventory and expenses.
Keep portfolio slim, cut losses.
Keep in touch with the market, analyze reported sales.
Don't believe the hype :)

Gospel. :)

Parking - only good for short term while you're waiting to develop domains. Unless you have one of those domains in the .001%, don't expect to live off of parking revenue.

Wordpress is your best friend but make it secure.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buy mostly .com domains because most people want .com domains

list your domains for sale on Sedo and Afternic because those are the biggest aftermarkets

if you register domains at Godaddy, use their premium selling service because they are the biggest registrar, which means a lot of potential views of your listings

use your best/favorite domains and learn to build websites or blogs on them to sell something, or to make money with ads and affiliate links. hopefully this will eventually make enough income to cover your costs, and any domain sales will be gravy. plus you may develop something that is so good and makes so much money you'll never want to sell it, or can ask for a higher price when you do.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be Honest
Make 3 more call/5 more emails after you think you are done
Prepare to take losses
Ignore the A-holes
Believe in what you are saying/doing

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent!!!!
buy mostly .com domains because most people want .com domains

list your domains for sale on Sedo and Afternic because those are the biggest aftermarkets

if you register domains at Godaddy, use their premium selling service because they are the biggest registrar, which means a lot of potential views of your listings

use your best/favorite domains and learn to build websites or blogs on them to sell something, or to make money with ads and affiliate links. hopefully this will eventually make enough income to cover your costs, and any domain sales will be gravy. plus you may develop something that is so good and makes so much money you'll never want to sell it, or can ask for a higher price when you do.

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy I started this! An abundance of really really good information, opinions and advice. Thanks to all who have posted so far and for taking the time. It's nice to see there are some dolphins in this sea and not all sharks! Really happy to be aboard!!

vinsdomains.com

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom