Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's the most important thing you have learned domaining?

Blue Wren

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Thank you for all your replies. They have been very helpful. :)

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Thank you for all your replies. They have been very helpful. :)

Now, the question for you is 'What have you learned from the thread?'.
Enough to call you a domainer ? lol

Blue Wren

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I wasn't the OP but it was great to read others opinions. Domainer? No I'm not yet.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

i think you become a domainer after your first profitable sale... the questions becomes, "do you stay a domainer" after your last sale.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think you become a domainer after your first profitable sale... the questions becomes, "do you stay a domainer" after your last sale.

does the first profitable sale, put you in the "black", based on total expenses?

if no, are you still a domainer, or still considering...?

some good imput, and i'd like to add

i always been one to question statements, opinions, beliefs and even some facts, where and when, i think they are disputable.

often times some get defensive and others use it as an opportunity to elaborate on their perspective.

when you ask, you learn, if you don't ask, a misconception can grow.

over the years, i've seen hundreds of users names come and go, read the rhetoric and the insights, and gulped up the enlightening scenerios to retain for usage later.

you learn from the past.

during this time, i've also made some friends and friendnemies, both of which i appreciate...cause they give you balance.

both share a perspective, but thru it all, i've tried to give the same respect that i know i deserve.

i've learned that being true to yourself, to the principle and to the goal, is more important than being who others want you to be.

i've discovered the strength of the "silent majority"

:)

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Learn from others mistakes.
2. Listen to others experiences.
3. Ask, Read, Ask, Read and do it a couple of times more.
4. Don't get hyped into things.
5. Research, due diligence.
6. and the most important thing I have learned... THINK before Buy/Reg.

And many other things... :)

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Song titles are not copyright and wouldn't imagine for that reason that any are trade marked as you asked.

Different songs often have the same title, "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Jennifer Rush and Huey Lewis & the News being an example. Same title, three different songs, so you can imagine there is no question of copyright or trade mark.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Forgot one of the most important things to remember.....

CHECK YOUR SPELLING BEFORE YOU HIT THE BUY BUTTON!

Check twice, three times even.

LOL! I did that once registering a name, then kicked myself for a year!

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not read the thread aside from the title...but I would say that you should NEVER reg or buy a name that you do not have a development plan for.

Really...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One sobering thought: there is more money lost than made in domaining. Domain sales are the exception, not the norm.

Last edited:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say that you should NEVER reg or buy a name that you do not have a development plan for.

Really...
Good advice

Now you tell me ... :pound: lmao

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One sobering thought: there is more money lost than made in domaining. Domain sales are the exception, not the norm.

Not really a sobering thought when you consider the reality of it all. When there is a low barrier to entry you will always have a lot of people trying their luck. It doesn't make every domainer that's tried their luck a business person though.

I have not read the thread aside from the title...but I would say that you should NEVER reg or buy a name that you do not have a development plan for.

Really...

I think this is the best bit of advice in this thread.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Really...

I don't develop (have tried...I suck at it) and so I don't have any dev plans for any of my names.

In my case, I have to be able to easily identify potential buyers before making a purchase.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't develop (have tried...I suck at it) and so I don't have any dev plans for any of my names.

In my case, I have to be able to easily identify potential buyers before making a purchase.

You're missing the point.

If you are not motivated enough to want to develop your names, there likely not that valuable (and you shouldn't have speculated with them).

Obviously this is not always the case, but it's a good general rule of thumb.

Not having web development skills really has nothing to do with it. You can outsource the task.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never list a domain you are thinking of regging on an available domains list. You'll be banging your head on the wall later.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never list a domain you are thinking of regging on an available domains list. You'll be banging your head on the wall later.
Happened to me a few times :) But I think I was more often right when wrong when restraining myself.

Traveltext

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you develop every domain name you purchase you can become a website publisher, not just a domain name investor.

This way, if you strike gold, you'll have two outlets when it comes to selling.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jumping back into the business after being out of it for many years. Seems like a lot has changed and there is an overwhelming amount of information floating about. Seems like a lot of sharks too! As such, I thought I'd solcit input from all of you fellow domainers regarding important lessons that you have learned along the way. What's your best piece of advice, so a beginner doesn't get burned? Thanks in advance for any educational responses you can provide!

Domains aint worth squat, unless you can find a buyer.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I agree you may be missing the point of what I am saying. There is a difference between actually developing and having a development plan. If you register a domain with a dev plan in mind - and it is a decent plan, you will most likely have potential buyers identifying your domain name as opposed to you having to identify the potential buyers.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of us can't help acting impulsive sometimes the next ones should be :

1) Don't be lazy, every effort --and all that reading-- pays off, even if it's mos/yrs from now

2) Don't be greedy, some offers are one-time only, reply w/a slightly higher amount and the deal might be dead

3) Don't be a follower all the time, and NEVER, ever take part in buyouts, no matter how hot, even if the Dalai Lama recommends them

4) Don't be shy about asking questions, better be branded a wise noob than a fake know-it-all .....;)

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators