Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld when is .asia going to take off ??? is asia a bust??

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i never hear any new on . asia i have got some very good domains and gotten some offers but they were low , is .asia a bust, i dont unerstand how in the .asia regestry auction the majority of the .asia domain sold for thousands of dollars , and sedo and all these auction sites are not selling this is wierd . does anyone have any opinions to this???

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The .asia sTLD is going through the classic downturn that always affects new TLDs just after the anniversary of their landrush. This Junk Dump phase (when domains that could not be flipped or monetised are dropped when renewal time comes up) generally results in a lot of highly speculative domains being dropped. The problem for .asia sTLD is that it doens't have a sustained high volume of new registrations. The .mobi TLD by comparison, had a sustained new registration volume right through its Junk Dump phase.

The problem for .asia is partially timing and partially lack of demand. It launched at the end of the domain bubble. Most of the new TLDs launched in the last five years or so have been fundamentally driven by massive domain speculation. The .eu was effectively ruined because it killed off any natural domain development. The .mobi TLD was also driven by speculation but it had launched earlier in the bubble so it was better placed to profit. However it is also a device specific TLD which means that it has other effects at play. The .asia launched at the end of the domain bubble and it was hit by the global recession. After the initial spike of the landrush, the volume of new domain registrations fell off and show an almost exponential decay. There is no single identity for the .asia sTLD in the way that there is a political identity for .eu (.eu is the "ccTLD" for the European Union). It also has major competition from some very large ccTLDs in that area - .cn, kr, .jp, .au, .nz, .in and companies launching into regional markets (the .asia is really a regional TLD) tend to target specific markets by registering their brand, where possible, in the target country's ccTLD. Without massive domain speculation, the .asia sTLD has had to rely on brand protection registrations and enduser registrations. The endusers are the critical section of any market as they are the ones that develop websites and build the ecommerce infrastructure in a TLD. If a TLD does not have a sufficient level endusers developing websites, a TLD will collapse. The net increase (domain count) for .asia between 01/September/2009 and 01/October/2009 was 947 domains. Each month it has approximately 3K new registrations but that's more like the pattern for a small to medium ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i dont unerstand how in the .asia regestry auction the majority of the .asia domain sold for thousands of dollars
It's the usual auction frenzy. Now it would be interesting to look back how many are developed.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's the usual auction frenzy. Now it would be interesting to look back how many are developed.
yes sdsinc it would be interesting because there was some major money spent on .asia
it just that i have not seen anyother big sales??

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

seek99

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sure .asia domains will come back takes time,

seek99

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
even better sales wil happen you watch it but it may take rime for sure.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any tld that 99.9% of the names are owned by domainers is doomed.
I don't think that 99% of the domains in .asia are owned by domainers. It may have a high level of speculation though. However a lot would be brand protection registrations. The key to the success of any TLD is utilisation. The domains have to be used for e-mail and websites. If there is no significant utilisation of the TLD, then it is in trouble. Sometimes it takes about three to five years for a TLD to reach some kind of stability but in that time the domain prices are very unstable.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think of .tel as a TLD so much as considering it as a pay for inclusion web directory. :) It is an interesting idea though. The way that they have all the domains on their own nameservers makes it very difficult to assess the success of the extension at a country level but I would guess that it has a very low coverage.

Regards...jmcc

seek99

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think of .tel as a TLD so much as considering it as a pay for inclusion web directory. :) It is an interesting idea though. The way that they have all the domains on their own nameservers makes it very difficult to assess the success of the extension at a country level but I would guess that it has a very low coverage.

Regards...jmcc

Yes thats right

DomainMentor

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read from the asiaregistry.com and other websites, after the Go Live, all the domains are open
to public with NO RESTRICTION. All the Sunrise1-4 and Restriction already ended.

But when I registered, one of the .asia domains, my purchase denied, saying that the domain
is reserved for the government. In fact, it is not related to the government at all.

They should walk the talk. When they said Go Live with no restriction and based on
first come first serve basis, they should implement that.

I am really confused. Surprisingly, all emails sent to the related party remain unanswered.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess you tried to register a reserved domain name.

JohnNapoletano

John Napoletano
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, if we develop a web with .asia domain, will it rank good from SEO point of view? :)

We wont know until someone tries AND really knows SEO. Go to google.com and type in site:.asia then look at the top ranked sites listed, figure out which keywords they are trying to rank on. English, Vietnamese, other language? Is your content talking about USA Auto Insurance on a .asia domain or are you talking about India travel destinations? Many questions that can't be answered until someone works it. I haven't tried yet but within the next year or so will try. I don't think it will be any worse than other tlds if the topic is a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom