Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Which extension(s) best for investing? [May vote for more than one]

Best Extension(s) For Investment? [May vote for more than one]

• .COM

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • .NET

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • .ORG

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • .INFO

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • .BIZ

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • .CO.UK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .DE

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • .US

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • .TV

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (please specify below in thread)

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please read this before voting --

A lot has happened since the last poll in August, 2002. More forum members. Changes in the domain market. Let's retake the pulse of this community with another poll on this hotly debated topic... and see what the data shows!

Which extension(s) are the best for investing in domain names -- considering differences in current prices and your expectations of possible increases or decreases in future value? You can vote for more than one extension by checking more than one box before clicking on the vote button.

Some examples:

If you think that ".COM rules" and no other extensions will ever have much value, then vote for .COM only.

If you think that .COMs are over-priced relative to their likely future value, .NETs are under-priced relative to their likely future value, and no other extensions will amount to much, then vote for .NET only.

If you like a portfolio of .COMS, .NETs and .BIZs, then vote for all three -- .COMs, .NETs, and .BIZs.

etc., etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the results of the previous poll started in August, 2002.

.COM = 36.43%
.NET = 11.63%
.ORG = 3.88%
.INFO = 20.16%
.BIZ = 9.30%
.US = 10.85%
.CO.UK = 3.02%
.DE = 0.78%
.TV = 3.88%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments also welcome in the thread. Please vote! :)

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has .INFO really moved from 2nd to 1st place in terms of investment potential during the past 2-3 months? Come on you .COM-only folks... show your stuff and vote :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Must be scaring the bejeezus out of the .com only folks. Who would have ever thought that a poll among hard core domain dealers would ever show .info as having more investment potential than .com (at ANY point during the polling?!).

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.com is almost all used up, so i guess its time to reach out for other tlds. Thats why results are as they are.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domainAddict
.com is almost all used up, so i guess its time to reach out for other tlds. Thats why results are as they are.

BINGO DomainAddict! Do you want the stuffed bear or the bead necklace? :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oops I just looked at the poll again. That wily veteran .COM has climbed back up off the canvas and is tied on points. Still, being tied with a rookie like .info must leave a .com champion feeling like Mike Tyson would if he fought to a draw with Britney Spears (not much to crow about).

And what's this! .Net has rolled out of its' death bed and is now only one vote behind the powerful young newcomer .US! I can't wait til the bell rings for round two!

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl

BINGO DomainAddict! Do you want the stuffed bear or the bead necklace? :)

Explain this please ;) im blonde.. hehe

uuallan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domainAddict

Explain this please ;) im blonde.. hehe

I think he is making a reference to cheesy carnival prizes. You know, knock over the stacked bowling pins and you get your choice of prizes

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
this poll to me looks to be more an indication of wishful thinking than anything else.

I guess you didn't learn a thing from our conversation today kid. Oh well, I tried. Welcome to the Ostrich Club - maybe if you don't look things really won't change all around you. :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uuallan

I think he is making a reference to cheesy carnival prizes. You know, knock over the stacked bowling pins and you get your choice of prizes

Exactly right uuallan. He had the right answer so he gets the prize!

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
explain to me how investing in something which will decrease in value is a good idea to invest in. you can reg all the second rate .info and .us you want. if they are worth anything i will go for the best names in 2 years when they drop rather than waste money on the second stringers.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
explain to me how investing in something which will decrease in value is a good idea to invest in.

Investing in something which will decrease in value is not a good idea. Investing in something which will icrease in value is a good idea. That is the whole point of this poll! :uhoh:

if they are worth anything i will go for the best names in 2 years when they drop rather than waste money on the second stringers.

I have sold over $3,000 in .INFOs. Why would I let my good .INFOs drop? :confused:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
explain to me how investing in something which will decrease in value is a good idea to invest in. you can reg all the second rate .info and .us you want. if they are worth anything i will go for the best names in 2 years when they drop rather than waste money on the second stringers.

Are you the new Miss Cleo? You can actually look in the future and tell me what is going to decrease in value two years from now? What are you doing here? You should be at the broker shorting all of the stocks that will be down two years from now.

And by your impeccable logic, you will skip the names that might be any good now and just pick them up when they drop in two years. Why on earth would anyone drop the names if they prove to be good?! Your lack of common sense is astounding. :)

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
You can actually look in the future and tell me what is going to decrease in value two years from now? What are you doing here? You should be at the broker shorting all of the stocks that will be down two years from now.

I hope he does not develop inter-temporal message technology before I get the bugs out of mine.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=81948#post81948

18% return in 3 months is pretty good, but I am not happy with the imprecision in the message transfer process. Ah well... I'll keep working on it. Looks like another big gain for MDT on Monday unless the calibration is off again. Sigh. :sigh:

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they will drop. not yours maybe domebase but they are dropping already. hell advertisements.info was available for almost 2 weeks before the owner figured out it had dropped and got it back.

i'm saying the people who bought thousands of these names thinking they would sell them for millions will inevitably let some drop either by mistake or whatever other reason.

that's like saying "why would i let my .coms drop?"

the point is there are no decent .info or .us names to register that would be worth anything now or in the future. they have all been taken. These giant domain hoarding groups won't be able to renew them forever (just look how many of URL collection's domains have been dropping).
i don't see any of these names rising in value since they have already been hyped to death to create the illusion that they would have value in the future.

Very few people were in on the .com which is why they became valuable. It was the exact opposite in the case of .info .biz etc. Everybody was prepared for it. It also took several years for these new extensions to come about. My guess is that we won't be waiting this long for the next round of .shop .web or whatever ICANN decides to go with. The web is also still fairly new so you have to wonder at what point we will get to the end game in terms of domains slowly but surely falling into the hands of the hands of the end users. In the .com early days every company had to get online so demand was high because you were starting from 0. In a few years it will be only new companies looking to the web because most existing ones already have online identities. That puts the number of companies and the potential buyer pool for the new extensions at a much lower number since you are dealing with only new companies as opposed to when *every* company rushed to get a domain when the web became big. That being said, there are a few wildcards such as new countries just getting into the net like China. Will a billion chinamen rush to the new extensions and drive the demand up? Who knows for sure. I always said .info at least has a chance since it is big in Europe and to some degree anti american sentiment or a desire to be independent of U.S. may play a role and steer many away from .com. In terms of .us names, what good are they outside the US? In the US we already have .com, so other than the domains which relate directly to the extension
like (politics.us etc) i fail to see where the demand is once a large portion of the speculators on these extensions pack up and go home...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the point is there are no decent .info or .us names to register that would be worth anything now or in the future.

No, the point is that you lose all credibility when you make an absurd claim thay you know exactly what will happen in the future.

The second point is that you do not research anything before making your preposterous statements. So, only new businesses will need domain names - that means no market huh? I'm sure you did not have an inkling that over 612,000 new businesses were created in 2000 alone (the last year government data was available). That means there have been over 1.2 million NEW businesses created just since then, and about 3-4 MILLION more will be created in the next 5 years.

You are so grossly misinformed there is no point in arguing with you, so we can just agree to disagree here. Let's kiss and make up (on second thought, let's just shake hands)! Now that we are pals again, will you go out to the horse track with me next weekend. With you being able to see into the future and all, I would like to have you pick a couple of trifectas for me so I can refill my Enom account. :)

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no matter how many "new" businesses are created, they will not be a large percentage of "all the business at once". The new businesses are more likely to go for .coms than .us. All the best .infos and .us are long gone. even mole has said that.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no matter how many "new" businesses are created, they will not be a large percentage of "all the business at once". The new businesses are more likely to go for .coms than .us. All the best .infos and .us are long gone. even mole has said that.

Kool - please, just once in your young life, look up a couple of facts before you make a statement so you won't come off looking so goofy.

Good .infos are about gone because almost one million have been registered. However, far less than half that many .US have been registered because the extension just debuted in April. There are still MANY good .US names left.

Are the BEST gone? Of course. After the first 100 or so the BEST are gone. The BEST .coms are long gone too and you are never going to see ONE of those, but that doesn't stop you from trying to buy good ones does it - even though there are virtually NO good ones left on the market.

That is why the 4 millions new businesses on the way in the next 5 years will look at other extensions in addition to .com. They are not going to accept 5-word 46-character nonsensical names just because it is a .com. Those days are over. There were no options before. Now there are. Things are changing as they always do. You are awfully young to be completely unprepared to deal with change.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys, i just hope you are right, and .biz, .info and .us wont be a total failure, since im about to register more than few of them..

I think people are just too used to .com, and many of them think that .com means its the best, they dont even concider the fact that the data you receive is the factor to judge from.

But unfortunately I cant loose the feeling that .us and .biz wont be too apealing.. dont know why, just some inner feeling. DAMNIT! How can i get it out? :)

Have there been done any public researches lately, from which we could predict more about how powerfull are biz us info going to be? I WISH YOU GIVE ME SOME POSITIVE FEEDBACK :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom