Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

who owns the domain if the registrant does not exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I registered a domain name but for the registrant i entered put in a new company I was going to incorporate.

But then due to a number of reasons we decided against it. Now a couple of years later WHOIS still shows the non existant company as the the registrant. I want to know who is the legal owner of the domain name now...

Thanks.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by innit
I registered a domain name but for the registrant i entered put in a new company I was going to incorporate.

But then due to a number of reasons we decided against it. Now a couple of years later WHOIS still shows the non existant company as the the registrant. I want to know who is the legal owner of the domain name now...

Thanks.

It seems that who owns the registrant's email who owns the domain.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Reigistrant info is legal owner in some cases - despite the admin email. That's why some registrars require snail mail/fax with the company letterhead to make some changes.

Transfering out to another registrar is easier than changeing that info.

bauc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComster
Reigistrant info is legal owner in some cases - despite the admin email. That's why some registrars require snail mail/fax with the company letterhead to make some changes.

Transfering out to another registrar is easier than changeing that info.

I lost out on a domain but my info is still there. I bought the domain and the person gave me the login details I logged in, changed the details to mine(the new owner now) but before I could get the domain transferred he changed the password and kept the domain(now having my money). So I'm stuck, the domain info is mine but I can't transfer it out, I emailed the registrar but the previous owner is still the owner in their eyes or something.

Therefore it the person who last payed the bill for the domain, is the owner irrespective of that information. According to eNom(the registrar) the owner of a domain can put any info into the whois that they like.

Unless the domain is locked, if you are the admin contact for the domain, you can probably transfer it anyway.

There are only a few registrars who require you to know the username and password for a domain to approve (usually pre-approve) the transfer.

-t

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When dealing with those registrars that ask for notary and signature (like Verisign), transferring the domain away may actually be the easier route. No wonder they lost almost one-fourth (24.5%) of their names in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators