Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Who uses Sedo to buy .ca domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really have to wonder sometimes when we get offers of $110 for .ca domains belonging to our customers. When a someone here makes an offer through Sedo of $110, our customer would only get $10, as $100 goes to Sedo in commission, so why even bother with a toss-away offer?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why waste your time? Put a minimum

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is Sedo... they really have no idea how do deal with .ca's . unless the domain has some big value.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got a couple $110 offers in the last few days as well

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
make the buyer pay direct, using Paypal for a $100 domain protects them from fraud, OR if they insist on escrow, then the buyer pays ALL escrow fees.

I've had a buyer request Sedo - they processed everything smoothly.

One smallish bone of contention with Sedo - only US dollars.

The bigger bone of contention - Sedo took credit for the sale in dnjournal. Sedo did NOT sell the domain, it was through our end. Sedo only did the escrow because the major Cdn corp that bought the domain has always used Sedo.

DomainSpace

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is what it is. Anyone listing any domain name at Sedo should have a starting price. This gets rid of these low ball offers. The 2 things I don't like with Sedo are as follows:

1/ As mentioned above it's US funds. I tried to enter my bank wire info for my US account and it kept telling me it was invalid so I just gave up and told them to send it to paypal.
2/ They charge more for selling a .ca because of our Canadian requirement rules.

Overall I like Sedo when dealing with higher priced sales. For buying same would apply but for $110 bucks I wouldn't waste my time. The person / company is probably hiding behind Sedo for if they went direct and you found out they are bigger the price might go up.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the minimum offer would be just to get the ball rolling? Why offer higher than the minimum right off the bat in any negotiation?

It is easy for a seller to list a minimum offer to avoid getting low offers like this. The offer also lets you push to auction, which is a small possible benefit.

If you have $110 listed as the minimum for domains you are selling on Sedo, then you should expect a lot of $110 first offers.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back to the first question: when so many people here know the system, why do people here make the $110 bids, even when they are possible, when they know it is effectively a $10 bid? Why hide behind Sedo when they can PM someone with an offer?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why hide behind Sedo when they can PM someone with an offer?
Because lowballers can save face behind the veil of anonymity offered by Sedo.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the sense? It is better to offer $100 directly than $10 from $110 indirectly.:rolleyes:

DomainSpace

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have minimums on mine domains for that same reason. Put the price you would consider selling or at least it opens up negotiations (if you need the funds accept the offer, if not then either counter or push it to auction to see what the market will bare.) The last 2 that where pushed to auction got these results [one got the opening price and other one I got double the opening price].

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators