Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why are ranting threads being closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=226988

Seems to me that people have made some good points:
1. This is a paid forum, in which having an expanded PM box is an advertised benefit.
2. A 4 day single non-stickied thread notice in an infrequently visited section was all that was given before removing the PM's.

Just wondering why people aren't being allowed to express their loss of faith in DNforum, we ARE advocates of free speech here, correct?

So far, PM's have been cleared out and F$ are gone, and in both cases, members were given very little/no notice. You've explained the reasoning for removing F$ was to create a more professional environment, which in light of the thread linked to above, sounds kind of hypocritical.

I've been a member here for a while, and I just want to make sure the staff actually cares about what its members think. I'm not asking for a hug, I understand this is a business forum, not a general chat board. I just want to know if people's expressions of anger are even talked about amongst the admin, or do you just get annoyed at the little people and click 'closed'.

And finally, are there any major changes you have planned for the future that will remove benefits promised here:
http://www.dnforum.com/exmember_features.php

Have a good morning,
Jorge

Upvote 0

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they have a backup of the site (and they SHOULD have made a back up before doing such a drastic change) all they have to do is a restore to an alternate domain. Let us log in and get our PM and then remove it. Give people an email to let them know what's going to happen.

We do backups once month, once a week and on some, every night as a matter of routine maintence. If this site doesn't do the same it's irresponsible.

Don't assume it's not being done, it is a huge process.

-=DCG=-

Domain Summit 2024

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If they have a backup of the site (and they SHOULD have made a back up before doing such a drastic change) all they have to do is a restore to an alternate domain. Let us log in and get our PM and then remove it. Give people an email to let them know what's going to happen.

I believe this in the works, I suggest you go back and research the already discussed threads on this issue.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's rediculous. I paid for my membership here.

You have to pay to be a gold member? It's been so long I can't remember. I thought I only paid on the platinum and exclusive upgrades. Someone refresh my memory, please.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didnt lose any of my PM's and am still able to send them. No DNF$ gone from my bank...

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

We do backups once month, once a week and on some, every night as a matter of routine maintence. If this site doesn't do the same it's irresponsible.

There's no doubt they have regular backups. But that would be one big job making a dupe and running just right to be able to login and gain access. The log files alone must be enormous. If they did that I would be impressed, but I wouldnt expect them to. It's my opinion we do need to protect our own pm's if they are so important.

I have/had pm's dating back a couple years. If I had thought they were such a load I may have pruned them more often. As well I value my pm's for record. On more than one occasion I'd have to look through them to find record of older transactions. Either way, I gotta stand beside DNF on this one. It's for the greater good of our community. And it's a community we joined, not a bank.

Jack

JRBHosting

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't assume it's not being done, it is a huge process.

-=DCG=-
Can we therefore assume that it is being done?

Although I noted and acted upon the warning, I have to agree that it may have been a blunder.

However, Domstar, nobody took YOUR F$ away. It would be like the US Treasury destroying all the funds in the Reserve. It's not your money that is going to the dogs, it is the Treasury's.

Jason

Domstar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have to pay to be a gold member?

Yes, back when I upgraded you did. A short time later, they changed that... I wasn't really happy about it, but it wasn't a lot of money so I just went on. But deleting private communications w/o adequate notice is the problem I'm upset about.

However, Domstar, nobody took YOUR F$ away.

My mistake. I didn't read the thread explaining the changes in F$. And like I said, that's not my real beef.

And it's a community we joined, not a bank.

A community is communications. This community has both public and private communications. Removing part of those communications w/o notice is just wrong. I have no problem with cleaning up the site and whatever changes the admins feel are needed. My only contention is no email notification and only 4 days notice in the forums. That's simply not enough notice.

I can tell you this... I learned how much I used this forum, even tho I don't use it much. Put yourself in my shoes.... you bought a domain for 4 figures from a seller on this forum and found out the transfer never really took place. And the ONLY contact you had with the seller was via this site in your PM. (all their contact info was bad in the whois.) As it turns out, I was able to contact them, but it was only about 30 days ago. If I had been delayed till now, I'd be out a very expensive domain. And there is still one more PM here I need for another domain and I need a phone number for a buyer I found here.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a privatly owned forum they can do what they want.

Maybe you should have subscribed to DNForum Site News and you would have seen the post:

Download all PM's BY Monday May 7th - 9 AM.

Is it your fault for not checking or our fault?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domstar,

While I agree with some of the things you are saying that have valid points, I believe your problem would best be solved by keeping better track of your domains.

Domstar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, actually they can't. While it's well beyond what needs to be discussed to discuss the issue, they do have a contract with me and when I paid for my membership, part of the contract was the use of the PM system and it allowed for a certain number of PMs. As long as I don't exceed that, I'm w/in my rights to expect the continued usage of the service.

Fault? So now we are assigning fault? Well okay, yes, it's the admins FAULT for not notifying us in meaningful manner within a reasonable amount of time of the change. The admins of this site have no problem emailing me their solicitations, they certainly have a requirement to use the same method to notify users of such a drastic change in the system. The site uses email notifications for thread updates. So obviously the site uses email to communicate to it's users. Deleting private communications is about as drastic a change as I can imagine, short of shutting down the site. So yes, it's their fault I lost my private emails because they didn't provide proper notice via an accepted method of a material change to the functioning of the service.

Like I've been saying, I have no problem with them changing things as needed to make it a better site. This all revolves around the lack of meaningful notification in a timely manner.

I'm fairly certain discussing this with you is useless and w/o any resolution, so I'll just ignore you on this issue.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very well.. Good luck in your future endeavors...

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, actually they can't. While it's well beyond what needs to be discussed to discuss the issue, they do have a contract with me and when I paid for my membership, part of the contract was the use of the PM system and it allowed for a certain number of PMs. As long as I don't exceed that, I'm w/in my rights to expect the continued usage of the service.

If you want to get technical about it, this is what you agreed to when signing up at DNF:

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of DNForum - Domain Sales, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of DNForum - Domain Sales, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of DNForum - Domain Sales, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=228674
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=143069

This is a privately owned forum.

Here are the general forum rules:
The management reserves the right to make judgement calls. We can't write a rule for everything. If we see nonsense on the forum we will take care of it and let you know why. This is the "no nonsense" rule.

I don't see anything about the guarantee of services, use of services or anything about what you've mentioned. And I dare sure don't see where it says F$ are stock at DNF.

You can make this membership what you want. But just about everything you say is blown out of the water by what you agreed to when you signed up.

Our memberships are subscriptions which do not give you any type of ownership with DNF. You don't get ownership with Cingular when you use their cell phone service or ownership in DirectTV when you use their satellite service. Or ownership in GoDaddy when you purchase hosting. The same goes for here, you are just using a service.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Maybe you should have subscribed to DNForum Site News and you would have seen the post:

Download all PM's BY Monday May 7th - 9 AM.

I can't help but have to say that your post is very far from professional. What logic do you use when you post this? I have always doubt the quality of the mod here and this proves it. Yes, go ahead and delete my post again without any good reason as you guys always do!

You can't expect all members to visit the forum as often and subscribe to everything as you do. Many members have enough spam mail and do not want to subscribe to too many things. It's absolutely the owner's fault not to inform the member in a proper way. I hope Adam should be more responsible (if you haven't already done so) for what you have done to the members, and not letting a mod to say something unpleasant like this.

.biz

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would have been nice to receive some notice or some warning before hand but this isnt MacDs. This site is owned privately.

Its like you are at a hotel. You get angry cause you wanted to yell at the manager about the service. So the manager can only apologize and fix the error (which it was stated), but you keep ranting. To keep the site clean and professional "DOMAIN RELATED" and not complaining related, then all that can be said is to "go elsewhere".

Yea, i wanted to complain about not getting notice about the F$ (i thought it was fun to give and receive gifts), but we did agree to the terms before signing up. ranting really doesnt get things done, does it?

just my F$5

cool?

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So where are we on this? Will we be notified when/if the backup of our PMs has been set up? Unfortunately I arrived late at this party, so I've just seen this whole PM-deleting thing now :(

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to realize that not everyone visits DNforum on a daily basis. There a major players that maybe visit once every month if that. They can't make everyone happy. So quit whining and now that you know, do what you have to.

I still don't see why though this isn't a pm to all members thing instead of a find your way to this thread sort of deal. But anyways carry on.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should be ready after the US long weekend this weekend.

and for the record about 8-10 days notice was given.

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domstar,

61 posts in over 3 years
1 public transaction with another member in over 3 years
4 posts in this thread alone, how many pm's could you have

Your attitude.... priceless

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom