Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why Do Short Brandable Domains Make Stronger Brands Than Generic Domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the choice of name & brand is involuntary....A start-up offering daily deals may have wished they owned Coupon.com, but, starting out, they couldn't afford it - so, they went with a make-up phonetic, like, Groupon.com...

I was going to say the same thing. Most start-up companies don't have angel investors or venture capital funds to go out and buy a category-killer domain right off the bat.

One word: differentiation.

This is also key. There can only be one "search.com" or "fly.com". In order to have competition (and no monopoly), competing companies will have to brand themselves to set them apart from the rest.

This also works in brick-and-mortar businesses. How boring of a world would it be if every grocery store's name was "Food", or every gas station was named "Gas"?

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BUT forums are still filled with people who think domains like "FloridaHouseholdProteinDrinks.info" are more valuable than smarter shorter brand-able domains?

Good question! Well I think what makes the difference are foresight and hard work by the experts.

Cheers.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A good brandable name allows start-ups get into the industry at a modest cost, and gives them the opportunity to develop an identity for their product or service. I would rather start a web site with a good, short brandable (5-8 characters) than a long tail generic - assuming the same cost/budget.

Keep in mind when deciding on a name for your next project, users;
1. Have a short memory - keep the name memorable
2. Don't want to type - who would want to type in 14 + characters name to visit a site over and over again
3. Misspell words - make sure the name you pick is easy to spell

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BUT forums are still filled with people who think domains like "FloridaHouseholdProteinDrinks.info" are more valuable than smarter shorter brand-able domains?

Don't be confused by domainers that are just trying to sell the crap they don't want!

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to ask your wife if she thinks short is better long?

lolz

she already told me
she likes length AND girth :smilewinkgrin:
i delivered..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators