Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why is it so hard to sell domains now?

ibuyandselldomains

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It used to be way eaier to sell domain names, now it is even hard to give them away. Why?

kunnusingh

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nowadays, there is a wide variety of TLDs available, and numerous big companies have ventured into this market. Consequently, the availability of good domains has diminished. Previously, finding good names was simple, but now most have already been claimed by these large corporations.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
now it is even hard to give them away. Why?
Hi

no smart domainer will buy crappy names and many stay away from new extensions.

and no one wants to hold and pay renewal for domains you are giving away for free.

this is not an easy, sell fast, get rich quick, type of business.

imo...

Reaction score
New domain extensions offer a broader selection of clean names for emerging companies, enhancing choices for businesses. However, this expansion doesn't lower the value of respectable .com domain sales. In fact, it can stimulate more activity in this space.

Here's a scenario: A user registers a domain like monstergirl.global or monstergirl.it.com, building a successful online business with global ambitions. As their venture grows, securing the .com version becomes a strategic necessity. They may have initially created this brand from scratch and ensured that the .com version was still available.

(note: made up this brand out of the blue and checked that the .com is still available)

I don't believe that new TLDs threaten .com investments; they can actually drive more demand for them as businesses mature and aspire to establish their online presence on a broader scale.

With a condition, as @Biggie mentioned, that these are decent .com names.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Because there is financial crisis after COVID-19, also because there is risk of war, people are afraid to invest their hard earned money into digital land, however I had 2 sales after almost 4 years of domaining, that is why this was a surprise for me, to have sales in this hard times, but if we look careful there are many huge domain sales, meaning there is still demand for domains, but we have to recognize that buyers are more selective now with their purchases.
Maybe if we wait a little bit longer it will be fruitful, if not I will just sell them all cheap to recuperate at least what I invested.

Ivone

Level 1
Reaction score
Nowadays, there is a wide variety of TLDs available, and numerous big companies have ventured into this market. Consequently, the availability of good domains has diminished. Previously, finding good names was simple, but now most have already been claimed by these large corporations.

Correct me if I am wrong.
I believe it boils down to: quality name, extension, exposure and of course the price.

namegulf

NameGulf.com Domain Marketplace
Reaction score
Due to high interest rates, liquidity is very low on the market and most companies are holding on cash (due to uncertainty)

That said quality domain still do sell however priced lower than market top.

Once fed clears the interest rate dilemma & if starts cutting, liquidity starts back up and companies go into growth mode, you'll see demand and sales go up!

vitrudotcom

Level 2
Reaction score
New domain extensions offer a broader selection of clean names for emerging companies, enhancing choices for businesses. However, this expansion doesn't lower the value of respectable .com domain sales. In fact, it can stimulate more activity in this space.

Here's a scenario: A user registers a domain like monstergirl.global or monstergirl.it.com, building a successful online business with global ambitions. As their venture grows, securing the .com version becomes a strategic necessity. They may have initially created this brand from scratch and ensured that the .com version was still available.

(note: made up this brand out of the blue and checked that the .com is still available)

I don't believe that new TLDs threaten .com investments; they can actually drive more demand for them as businesses mature and aspire to establish their online presence on a broader scale.

With a condition, as @Biggie mentioned, that these are decent .com names.
I like your reply because you have made a valid point about businesses needing to make a beginning and then upgrade to a better domain name when they need to, and they can. As an analogy, think of domain names like your house address. .com is like the most well-known street in town, everyone knows it. New extensions like .global or .it.com are like cool new streets that are popping up, but they haven't been around as long.

Just like some businesses might start on a new street and then move to the main one later on, many businesses choose a new domain extension at first and then switch to a .com domain later. This is because .com is still the most trusted and familiar address on the web, so it helps people find your business easily.

Thus, in the domain aftermarket, a "good domain" will find a new buyer though it requires effort on part of the seller. And plenty of patience...

Reaction score
I like your reply because you have made a valid point about businesses needing to make a beginning and then upgrade to a better domain name when they need to, and they can. As an analogy, think of domain names like your house address. .com is like the most well-known street in town, everyone knows it. New extensions like .global or .it.com are like cool new streets that are popping up, but they haven't been around as long.

Just like some businesses might start on a new street and then move to the main one later on, many businesses choose a new domain extension at first and then switch to a .com domain later. This is because .com is still the most trusted and familiar address on the web, so it helps people find your business easily.

Thus, in the domain aftermarket, a "good domain" will find a new buyer though it requires effort on part of the seller. And plenty of patience...

Exactly :)

vitrudotcom

Level 2
Reaction score
The proliferation of new top-level domains (TLDs) has indeed increased the options available to users, making it more challenging to stand out in the market. So, what are the ways for a domainer to stand out in this market?

ibuyandselldomains

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
But that shouldn't make com worth less, because com is still king. I can see how having more extensions could make domains worth less, because of more extensions, but shouldn't it skyrocket the price of com for bragging rights of having the king domain of 100's of different extensions. I am really not seeing that happen though.

vitrudotcom

Level 2
Reaction score
Can we list out some top companies or successful brands which use non .COM domain name extensions? For example, abc.xyz is the home of Alphabet Inc. the parent company of Google. Am sure there are some noteworthy .IO and .AI domain names as well. This exercise will help us understand the competition to the .COM domain name extension due to the proliferation of TLDs.

Attachments

• Alphabet Inc abx dot xyz.png
    Alphabet Inc abx dot xyz.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Too many TLDs.

Hi, do you think too many Gs really impact sales of good .com names? And, especially the premium ones?

I tend to agree that a reduction in the number of gTLDs might lead to increased sales of lower-tier .com, .net, and .org domains. However, I'm less certain about the impact on the sales of high-quality .com domains.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
You not see the point, people use social media websites to be popular, all they do daily, they give freely to the beasts of the internet, then that content is fed to AI beasts, which in the end is going to replace humans, this is why no domain sales, only serious businesses that will become beasts, buy great domains, you can see premium keywords still non developed this is a tactic to reduce competition with Google, Facebook, Twitter etc. Those who brainwash and addict people to use SM's know very good how to manipulate human mind so they are addicted to their platforms, in the end humans will be replaced, then when it will be too late they will ask OMG what happened we are beggars now the AI took our jobs, only stupid people are exited about AI and it's development, the only place for AI is working in the mines and libraries for free, nothing else.
Stop using social media and slowly the domains will begin to sell, now try to convince millions of people to stop using SM's, it's like asking allot of addicts to stop taking their drugs. :D
It is also understandable that many people are too lazy, not smart enough or don't have money to buy a domain, to buy hosting and to build a website, this is why they use for free SM's, no need to buy anything at the price of sharing all they do with those platforms for free.
Many big beasts copy from me allot of things to keep afloat their platforms, you can see how many new functions and design changes they did in the last year, but soon I will release something that will make them sink, then I will have the power to decide what to do with them, their end is near including AI crap, which is replacing humanity for cheap working power.
Who will stand by my side will succeed!
Sorry for my rudeness but I m tired to see how this world goes to hell, in the end it is everyone actions that let this to happen and we have what we have, I think those people will not survive, they will be eliminated like the big CEO's of those beasts.
P.s. If you observed this morons of CEO's have begin to implement such crap as "use your domain name in some way to link with our crap of twitter handles" etc, another trap to use their crap of platforms.

vitrudotcom

Level 2
Reaction score
Hi, do you think too many Gs really impact sales of good .com names? And, especially the premium ones?

I tend to agree that a reduction in the number of gTLDs might lead to increased sales of lower-tier .com, .net, and .org domains. However, I'm less certain about the impact on the sales of high-quality .com domains.
You're right, the gTLD flood opens doors, but tightening things up could give .com, .net, and .org a boost. That said, premium .coms pack a punch with brandability and recall, so their appeal might hold firm even amidst the gTLD swarm. It's about highlighting their unique strengths in this new landscape. Any thoughts on strategies for navigating this shift?

Reaction score
You're right, the gTLD flood opens doors, but tightening things up could give .com, .net, and .org a boost. That said, premium .coms pack a punch with brandability and recall, so their appeal might hold firm even amidst the gTLD swarm. It's about highlighting their unique strengths in this new landscape. Any thoughts on strategies for navigating this shift?

I think everything is fine: we're all gaining more freedom. The strategy for investors remains unchanged: focus on acquiring excellent .com names, utilize impressive landing pages, list them extensively, engage in outbound activities, and be cautious about holding too many names.

The strategy for companies searching for a standout and memorable online presence is straightforward: opt for single-word domains in a TLD that aligns with your industry. Our zone signifies belonging to the IT community, .io denotes startups, .ai reflects experiments with AI, .club represents communities, and so forth.

And for .com investors, this is an opportune time. Just sit tight and wait for businesses to grow on those extensions. Some of them will inevitably aspire to global recognition, and that's when they will turn to you to upgrade their existing excellent domain to an internationally recognized .com.

And make money :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom