Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why Use WordPress for Niche Websites? Better SEO from the Start?

wordplay

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After years of kicking around this forum, I'm finally realizing that maybe I could make a few dollars with niche websites.

So here is my absolute noob question: why bother with WordPress, as opposed to uploading my own adsense niche templates to my server? Is it that a WordPress site will be picked up better/faster than anything I could put up and optimize?

Thank you very much in advance.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, its easy to familiarize yourself with the software, its feature rich and well supported by the WP community.

The better question is, why wouldn't you use wordpress?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WP is very easy to learn and use (even more if you have some knowledge of HTML / CSS / PHP).

Countless "free" templates are out there and it isn't that hard to modify them (or you can use a program to make templates). It's also easy to add in your own items like AdSense, or just general ads (plus plugins like Ad Rotate will let you rotate and manage ads easily).

Search Engines like WP a lot and if you update it 2-3 times a week it'll help even more.

The only drawback of WP is it's limitations (style, etc.) but even it's limits are diminishing with new plugins popping up every day. It's great for sites that get frequent updates but other CMS like Joomla would be better for more static sites.

IMO it's very "bloggy" looking (which is great for blogs and related sites). It may also look a little unprofessional unless you spend some good $$ on a good template.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WP is very easy to learn and use (even more if you have some knowledge of HTML / CSS / PHP).

Countless "free" templates are out there and it isn't that hard to modify them (or you can use a program to make templates). It's also easy to add in your own items like AdSense, or just general ads (plus plugins like Ad Rotate will let you rotate and manage ads easily).

Search Engines like WP a lot and if you update it 2-3 times a week it'll help even more.

The only drawback of WP is it's limitations (style, etc.) but even it's limits are diminishing with new plugins popping up every day. It's great for sites that get frequent updates but other CMS like Joomla would be better for more static sites.

IMO it's very "bloggy" looking (which is great for blogs and related sites). It may also look a little unprofessional unless you spend some good $$ on a good template.

What sites are static nowadays? If you want to be one step ahead of your competition, you need to be constantly updating your site with quality content.

Yeah you have to spend $$ on a good template but its well worth it, especially if you have many sites. Plus you can make the homepage a "static" page so it really doesn't look like a blog at all.

Wordpress allows for comments (user generated content) has a ton of plugins/templates and there is a huge support community. It's really a no brainer.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should check out woothemes.com (you get 3 templates for the price of 1 - $70 - lifetime updates) or elegantthemes.com (yearly subscription of $40 and you get access to all their templates).

wordplay

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you, dcristo, draggar and silentg for your suggestions.

Sorry - if I wasn't clear enough, but I'm not doing blogs -- just niche content sites for adsense and affiliate ads, like this: (not mine): http://www.newyorkstocks.com/.
And I'll be creating my own websites. So if I understand you all correctly,
the main advantage would be I'd have some boost with at least the initial SEO?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wordpress site will get indexed in Google's blog search engine, you have access to many 3rd party plug-ins (many free including ones to help you with SEO), free and paid themes, updating is very easy. If you are building a site that you will be updating every once in a while to often then this is a very good platform.

If you want to launch a site as fast as possible with original or mixed (original & re-published) content that will be static, or seldom updated, then there are better options that are much faster than wp.

wordplay

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"If you want to launch a site as fast as possible with original or mixed (original & re-published) content that will be static, or seldom updated, then there are better options that are much faster than wp."

Thanks DomainerScript -- I thought as much.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you, dcristo, draggar and silentg for your suggestions.

Sorry - if I wasn't clear enough, but I'm not doing blogs -- just niche content sites for adsense and affiliate ads, like this: (not mine): http://www.newyorkstocks.com/.
Google's standards are constantly changing, including the ability to block ad heavy sites and pages.

Honestly, I look at your site and it is a turn off (from a consumers perspective) because it looks like one big ad from the very onset.

Your pages are static. Do you have any feeds to keep updated and fresh content? Google looks upon content as being the primary source for ranking. New, updated, fresh content get preference over static, stale, historical content.

Using WP (or even joomla) allows you to also SEO enrich each individual page with tags, keywords, and metatags.

The main advantage is you won't be blocked by google or browsers that block ad heavy sites

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After years of kicking around this forum, I'm finally realizing that maybe I could make a few dollars with niche websites.

So here is my absolute noob question: why bother with WordPress, as opposed to uploading my own adsense niche templates to my server? Is it that a WordPress site will be picked up better/faster than anything I could put up and optimize?

I use WP for several content niche sites.

Have used elegant themes before as I like their diversity,

But most recently I use suffusion theme/plugin as it works wonders for me as a CMS, and can easily be configured to not look bloggy or at least remove the bloggy elements by a mere checkbox.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

No, WordPress doesn't give you an SEO advantage or "boost", it's just that WordPress does do SEO properly, where many scripts don't. If you code your own sites following SEO best practices, then they'll perform just as good as WordPress, no better, no worse. It's just that WordPress already does it all for you, so you don't have to. You don't have to build keyword specific landing pages (tags and category pages), mod_write URLs to make them SEO-friendly, build user commenting systems, search engines, sitemaps, spam filters, moderation systems, etc, because it's all there in WordPress's 10 second setup.

wordplay

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, WordPress doesn't give you an SEO advantage or "boost", it's just that WordPress does do SEO properly, where many scripts don't......

Excellent answer, Mr. Domains. Much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

OK smirkley, thanks for the tips.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

"Google's standards are constantly changing, including the ability to block ad heavy sites and pages.

Honestly, I look at your site and it is a turn off (from a consumers perspective) because it looks like one big ad from the very onset...."

I agree Dot Com, that page design (which I used as a possible example, and is not mine, as previously stated) does look super-"adsy". However, I have read from numerous sources that that kind of ad lay-out scheme gets good click-through response. Perhaps I'm reading out-dated info, especially in regards to how Google now deals with such sites. Thanks for the great answer Dot Com. And thanks again to all who took the time to give all the helpful feedback.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree Dot Com, that page design (which I used as a possible example, and is not mine, as previously stated) does look super-"adsy". However, I have read from numerous sources that that kind of ad lay-out scheme gets good click-through response. Perhaps I'm reading out-dated info, especially in regards to how Google now deals with such sites. Thanks for the great answer Dot Com. And thanks again to all who took the time to give all the helpful feedback.
If and when I can think of the book, I'll pass the title on to you.

Integrating the ads to become part of the site for me has become a great strategy, rather than integration or building the content around the ads. One particular site I manage went from about 4.5% CTR in November 2010 to now an average of 9-11% month after month (May closer to 14% so far).

The philosophy is the consumer recognizes an ad, what an ad looks like, where it is positioned, and does not bother with it. Your example site is so ad rich that the consumer has to look for the content. That can be an immediate turnoff and loss of traffic. You have about 4-6 seconds to grab the viewer's attention. If your site is a turn off and they leave, then it does not matter what you design, where you place your ads, where you place your content, how great the content is because you lost the "grab" or impact of getting (and keeping) their attention.

ibee

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Somehow search engines are loving wordpress websites, it may be due to their standards of code or automatic ping to all the search engines.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Wordpress is a CMS that happens to be well scripted and sturdy. Wordpress has just as much advantage with SEO as other properly formatted non-CMS sites. I'm not sure what type of "adsense niche templates" you are using but the main advantage of using Wordpress versus 'niche templates' would be the ability to scale.

Would you be using a script for these adsense niche templates or is this something you created yourself? My concern would be how limiting I know them to be - and you run the risk of being blocked by the search engines. Some of them are still labeled as MFAs (Made for Adsense sites) which are highly frowned upon by search engines.

DomainerScript is right. Wordpress is better for content that updates. If you have a 20 page site that sits there, there is really no need to employ a database, install framework, etc, etc to run it.

Do you know html, css and/or some type of scripting language? If not, that is another big advantage for using Wordpress.

ThinkTankGroup

Level 1
Reaction score
Hi,

This website and link may answer your question: http://trends.builtwith.com/cms

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, its easy to familiarize yourself with the software, its feature rich and well supported by the WP community.

Because it's slow. That's why.

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And if you want to be one step ahead of the competition you install a caching plugin.

I still prefer the speed and simplicity of html websites and I used WP exclusively for over 5 years, but no more.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators