Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WLS: Judgement Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
bocajohnh said:
So just like "in the beginning", there was the original marketplace for those that thought of an idea, paid netsol the $35 to register the name. Then the auction sites sprouted up to serve the secondary market.

So there was NIC, and Afternic. So soon there will be WLS and ? AfterWLS ?

Haven't read this entire thread yet, so this might be mentioned elsewhere also.

But, Pool already has the afterWLS market covered and ready to launch. http://www.wlsauction.com

"The grass is always greener."

I, personally, think that we will be no more and no less successful at grabbing names after WLS as we are now.

However, I note that 95% of the names I grab are mediocre at best. I grabbed several great domains over the new year holidays this year and domain bids were "reasonable" at Pool too. However, now the bids are ridiculous and Pool grabs 99 out of 100 good names.

My portfolio of really good names was purchased over 3 years ago or over the three day period at new years when everyone else was drunk.

As far as names worth over $750 --that depends on whether or not the ridiculous pricing frenzy continues. How do you value a domain at $750? Currently at pool, anything on their hotlist is worth $750. Even with ZERO traffic, no links, no directory listing, and no brandability. Names like 44rtuuw.com will trade for $750 soon at that rate.

But naturally, YOU and I cannot make that money. People will only bid that much to Pool and NW and wouldn't consider buying from the little guys. I do think these are mostly ghost bids to inflate pricing.

As far as "good names" --defined as truly worthwhile names with true resale value, decent and valuable traffic, and/or good brandability....

I think the loud SNAP of snapname conversions within minutes of WLS launch will seal the deal instantly on obtaining a "good name."

There will be some leftovers for us bottom-feeders, but it will be tough to find even those names and the competition will be fierce for even crummy names.

I feel depressed that I have a budget in the 10's of thousands for worthy domains, and yet... I am a bottom-feeder. In the new WLS era; it will be no different.

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
puravida said:
There will be some leftovers for us bottom-feeders, but it will be tough to find even those names and the competition will be fierce for even crummy names.

I feel depressed that I have a budget in the 10's of thousands for worthy domains, and yet... I am a bottom-feeder. In the new WLS era; it will be no different.

Bottom-Feeders - better known as Carp :cheeky:

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ClassicNames.com said:
Bottom-Feeders - better known as Carp :cheeky:

CARPe diem ............................................... :bandit:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
puravida said:

Wake up, pura! Focus and concentrate. The bottom feeders can no longer just swim aimlessly around looking for juicy morsels. They need to niche to one rock.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hate always being put in the position of a "chicken little" ("The sky is falling...") but my first account at NextRegistrationRights originally had seventy-seven (77) backorders in it. As of this morning, it has only twenty-five (25)!? Anyone else have a reduction in their numbers for some unknown reason? If so, I believe this has finally gotta be it for the start of WLS!!

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and the beat goes on...........................................

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wm. M. said:
I hate always being put in the position of a "chicken little" ("The sky is falling...") but my first account at NextRegistrationRights originally had seventy-seven (77) backorders in it. As of this morning, it has only twenty-five (25)!? Anyone else have a reduction in their numbers for some unknown reason? If so, I believe this has finally gotta be it for the start of WLS!!

I think I've figured it out: Twenty-five names per page and now they're in alphabetical order. Only one problem: Where are pages 2, 3, and 4? Typical for NSI / VeriSign!!

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Wake up, pura! Focus and concentrate. The bottom feeders can no longer just swim aimlessly around looking for juicy morsels. They need to niche to one rock.

Hey Mole,

Problem is: there's not enough morsels (juicy or not) in any of the 5 niche markets I follow. I buy them all when I come across them. All I do -16 hours a day- is domains domains domains (either developing or searching).

The rest of the time is spent trying to catch up, keep the wife happy :eek:k: , or sometimes sleeping ;)

Cheers

domainclemente

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ICANN may approve WLS next week during the Rome meetings...but anything approve by the ICANN board still needs to be approved by the US Department of Commerce. I'm hoping the Bush Administration sees fit NOT to give Verisign a monopoly. The domain game may not be fair to all, but it's certainly competitive while a Verisign monopoly won't be.

We can still write our congressman. Here are the links to the Senate and House committees that oversee ICANN.

Senate: http://commerce.senate.gov/wbsite/search.cfm

House: http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/subcommittees/Telecommunications_and_the_Internet.htm

U.S. Department of Commerce: http://www.commerce.gov/

Whitehouse: http://www.whitehouse.gov/

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domainclemente said:
I'm hoping the Bush Administration sees fit NOT to give Verisign a monopoly. The domain game may not be fair to all, but it's certainly competitive while a Verisign monopoly won't be.

What monopoly? Every registrar gets to sell WLS slots to line their own pockets.

Monopoly? Try Pool.com

I'm glad you agree that the domain game is no longer fair, all you need is a big wallet.

Bring on WLS!

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domainclemente said:
We can still write our congressman.

Why the hell would I do that?!?

Neither way is a perfect system. At least a monopoly by someone charging $39 is better than a monopoly of someone charging $xx,xxx!

The grass is always greener, but I prefer to not do anything and let the chips fall where they may in situations where both options suck.

Good luck with your petition, but please do not spread propoganda and nievety in the forum ---you might infect some of the other members.

Cheers!

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the smaller registrars sueing Verisign and Verisign sueing Icann it looks like a circus. More and more Verisign looks like the evil clown that wants to be the ringmaster. ( I don't like evil clowns. They scare me.)

Having Pool.com as the main ringmaster under the tent is entertaining but who can afford the admission?

Snaps have been reduced to a sideshow act. It's like 20 hours of research to decide which lottery ticket to buy .

I have very mixed feelings about whole mess............................

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
think said:
It's like 20 hours of research to decide which lottery ticket to buy.

Right on the money... of course, it's all Pool's money now, but right on ;)
(bah)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
think said:
It's like 20 hours of research to decide which lottery ticket to buy .

There is no lottery involved here nor any research. Pool gets the name you like. You pay through your teeth if you want it. Simple. :clown:

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
There is no lottery involved here nor any research. Pool gets the name you like. You pay through your teeth if you want it. Simple. :clown:

Sorry for the ambiguity. I was reffering to Snapname snaps as 20 hours of research, finding names of various quality and value, and then trying to guess which one to snap. Then take the odds of lightning striking and your chance of getting the domain and hope your snap hits.

I would rather research and snap than go swimming ,or in my case, drowning in the Pool. But when the odds of getting the mid cap domain you snapped drop below 1%, the 20 hours of research becomes expensive ..............................................

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
think said:
Then take the odds of lightning striking and your chance of getting the domain and hope your snap hits.

Yeah, well, I have a snap for a domain deleting today (confirmed by WHOIS, Pool, and Godaddy).

However, snap shows it as deleting on 3/5. I bet it deletes today and snap doesn't even try for it!

I emailed them, but I'm sure I won't get a reply anytime soon --not to mention that the name will be up for grabs sometime between now and the next 3 hours. :-/

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
puravida said:
I bet it deletes today and snap doesn't even try for it!

Yeah, Snapnames seems to be three days behind everyone else when grabbing names LOL

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Snap told me that their system cannot be 100% accurate (which pool is) and that they were probably going to remove that feature (which they did).

They said they tried for it, but Ult got it anyway... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom