Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Wls

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the drops are first come first served right now opencg... you arent going to be first for the goodies when wls rolls out if you arent first with the system now.

opencg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by strongvis
the drops are first come first served right now opencg... you arent going to be first for the goodies when wls rolls out if you arent first with the system now.

I have a hand full of snaps approaching 100 to date expiring this year and in 2003, I hope to convert these snaps to wls but its impossible for me today to have a hand full of namewinners namefoxes etc... I'm only stating my subject because "I'm only a customer of large corporations" and I currently dont own large corporation "I think WLS is a help to many customers" besides companies 2 company business finally a service customers can count on, I'm with it.

it was never about providing customers with 100% service, it was all about the money and props... CgFX 2002

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope to convert these snaps to wls

ICANN did not allow for SnapNames to convert the Snap
subscriptions to WLS subscriptions.

There is a letter on ICANN's web site regarding this issue.

Luc L.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainRetriever

ICANN did not allow for SnapNames to convert the Snap
subscriptions to WLS subscriptions.

There is a letter on ICANN's web site regarding this issue.

Luc L.

maybe i'll get lucky and my expirefish names will convert to WLS :cool:

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With ICANN and Verisign, you never know...

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SirAlexFerguson & gmartfin - AMEN !!

Thanks, i'm feeling not so alone anymore.

Just don't understand why some guys STILL think WLS is a good idea - i mean everything is SOOO obvious ( SAF & gmartfin explained it perfectly) and still some people yell "WLS bring it on"..

It really ain't rocket science.

In fact it's as simple as this:

A corrupt monopoly consisting of ICANN,NSI,WIPO plus Snapnames do what they wanna do.

Still some of the ones they fool even applaud them for doing so.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
still some people yell "WLS bring it on"..

I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably insult a few people. but here goes.

There is always a percentage of whiners in life. You've seen them. Life in unfair, they're so held back by circumstances. If only they could........(fill in your own blank here)........ it would get so much better. If only someone would look after it for them.

They could be sooooo successful:rolleyes:

Sucessful people overcome obstacles. Whiners stand there with their hand out waiting. such are the people that feel WLS is athe answer.

The real answer is they know deep inside that they will never amount to anything unless somebody can be persuaded to GIVE it to them.

OK you can flame me now:eek:

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would have thought the WLS offers at least some positive benefits for small players.

You will never convince me that the big fish will place WLS-es on ALL good names on day 1. Just like right now, little guys with Snap/NameWinner/ExpireFish etc. sometimes manage to get first in line for a decent name, so it will be with WLS.

Here's the one great thing about WLS over the current system, though: if I wake up one morning and decide to take a gamble on a great name that's going to expire 8 months from now, my chances will rapidly approach zero under the current system as bigger players come in and corner all the angles to try and get hold of it.

However, with WLS there are no other players in the picture: if I have the WLS slot on that name, and it drops, it's automatically mine!

At e.g. $40 a pop for WLS subscriptions, the system represents a significant saving over the current system if e.g. only 10% of "bets" on decent names work out... After all, the bids on NameWinner go MUCH higher than $400 for any decent names!

In other words, if you treat WLS slots in aggregate and your average cost per successfully "grabbed" good name remains in the 3-figure range (i.e. much less than you could have bought the name directly for, and much less than the NameWinner bid would have been in the current system) then it's actually a winning situation.

There are plenty of downsides as well, and I'm not in favour of giving any more power to the incompetent folk at Verisign, but I'm just trying to present both sides of a picture that we will most likely have to face, whether we like it or not...

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Written by genki
<You will never convince me that the big fish will place WLS-es on ALL good names on day 1. Just like right now, little guys with Snap/NameWinner/ExpireFish etc. sometimes manage to get first in line for a decent name, so it will be with WLS.>

Genki, do not offend but I thought you were smart guy but forget it. You are an average Joe. Do you think a big company which have a source of people and equipment such that it can write scripts and grab all good names today CAN NOT just use that resources to create a software which can identfy all good names and snap them automaticly.

Here is a design stats for the new program:
1. Look for domain names which will expire in next 8 incoming months. Compare it to a dictionary file. Is it a dictionary name? yes then add. Is it a 3.char .net or .com then add.

2. Buy $8.75 per WLS slots of 10000 (just a $87K, peanut for a big company)

3. Use this program and snap all good names.

>Here's the one great thing about WLS over the current system, though: if I wake up one morning and decide to take a gamble on a great name that's going to expire 8 months from now, my chances will rapidly approach zero under the current system as bigger players come in and corner all the angles to try and get hold of it>

Yeah, you wake up and get crazy when you see that all good names were already snapped.

>However, with WLS there are no other players in the picture: if I have the WLS slot on that name, and it drops, it's automatically mine!>

Yes it is that simple if and only if you can manage to snap it !!!

Sir

Brujah

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't this an odd thought too... I notice lately that the more Snapnames keeps losing at getting all the names I wanted. Even stupid names, in a bizarre non-business category that I would have wanted for personal hobby development.. the more I keep cussing out the other dropcatchers and thinking screw it. I hope WLS comes around and I hope they choke on it.

The reason that thought process struck me as odd, was that it was SnapNames that keeps losing the names lately AND what I was essentially rooting for with WLS was the same company. Go figure.

Brujah

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson
Do you think a big company which have a source of people and equipment such that it can write scripts and grab all good names today CAN NOT just use that resources to create a software which can identfy all good names and snap them automaticly.

Absolutely. I'm sure its already been done. The list(s) are created, budgeted and ready to go. I've got my own list ready by doing the same thing. I've had lots of Back-Orders on names I got to first, paid for and still lost. So at least maybe those particular odds aren't all that bad afterall. For that matter, I'd probably also spend 10 times more based on the sure-thing aspect.

Will the WLS slots only be $8.75 ea. for 10k ? Nice.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson
Here is a design stats for the new program:
1. Look for domain names which will expire in next 8 incoming months. Compare it to a dictionary file. Is it a dictionary name? yes then add. Is it a 3.char .net or .com then add.

I think it's much more difficult than that to generate a list of good expiring domains. After all, there are many, many valuable two and three word domains than cannot be checked against a simple text list of words. Off the top of my head, here are some examples:

gamereviews.com
capitalideas.com
kissmyass.com
cloud9.com
riseandshine.com
magicshop.com
motherearth.com
.... etc ....

Your "method" would probably miss all of these wonderful names, each worthy of a WLS subscription. None of the names above can be found, for example, in dictionary.com.

If anyone has a more creative way of automatically filtering domains, feel free to discuss.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's where keywords come in. My keyword list would have caught 4 of the 7 you posted. But your point is good. I don't know of a way to catch every good name on the delete list except eyeball each and every one of them.

nomad

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
WLS, which is still not fully (preliminary if you read closely) approved by ICANN, will not work in its current form. The current form is not even fully defined.

Why? Well for one good reason a registrar will have no reason to delete names anymore if there is a WLS-holder on the name. By virtue of the WLS existing, that is an indication someone thinks the name is worth $30 plus the registrar markup, so why not renew it for 6 and let the offers come in. Especially now that Verisign will make listing it on their namestore marketplace easy and quick.

Another big problem I see, which of course the registrars are going to be saddled with while Veri$ign laughs itself to the bank, are the major credit card chargebacks and other complaints you'll see from people who had the wls positions and for whatever reason never got the names. You are trying to sell someone a future on a product of sorts, and this won't fly, especially with an Internet public that does not understand registrations or expirations the (simple) way they work right now.

Lastly, if you've ever tracked a serious (i.e. 3-letter dictionary word .com) name through the process it is pretty clear that the really valuable names don't ever drop. Someone with a cousin at the registry, or someone's step-son who does consulting for Veri$ign picks those out and sells them through some back door. That will continue and open the registry (and registrars) up to all sorts of claims with this kind of service.

These are just a couple practical problems with a system that is flawed in design and intent and threatens to sacrifice a competitive industry for the sake of a sinking monopoly. The industry cannot let this happen. Hopefully if ICANN ever begins to function again we will get some feedback on where the discussion stands officially as opposed to being relegated to speculating about it on chat rooms.

Happy turkey

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is the WLS inevitable? What are the chances that it gets scrapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators