Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Wls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by garymayor
The system will go back to the way it was and the boys with the most money won't matter so much because everyone will have an equal chance.

The system will never ever go back to where those with the most money won't dominate. If you think it will, it's because you want to think that, not because you have looked at the facts.

Things will get more expensive, not less, and the bigger money people will dominate even more under WLS. Period.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to be strongly against the WLS system.

However, now that the drop catchers have just about all gone to an auction format, my POV is changing.

I've probably spent at least $240 average per name on each of the last 10 names I've picked up in drops - probably more than that, actually - so if WLS cost $40 I could have had at least 6 WLS slots for each drop I've picked up.

In other words, if WLS is only 16.6% effective I would be no worse off than now.

On the other hand, I might have a chance at better names. Not fantastic A1+ names, but certainly better names than I'm getting right now. Why? Well, I'm often in line early enough to get the Snap etc. on some interesting names (2-3 months ahead of time) only to lose the name at the last minute to some 4-figure NW or Pool.com bid. With the WLS in place, had I bought the WLS slot rather than the Snap, I'd have ALL the chances at the domain.

The WLS will favour the SMART AND HARD-WORKING little guy far more than the current system. It used to be that all it took was a bucket of smarts to get good names - now you need smarts AND deep pockets. WLS will take us back to the "just be smart" era. Those willing to put in the effort required to do the research far enough in advance (e.g. make your own drop lists rather than wait for public ones such as Exody etc.) and willing to "gamble" on possibly not getting anything with their WLS slots should do very well.

affordablehosting

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I was saying, a reasonable per-person cap on WLS's would keep the big players from totally dominating the system.

Anyone who would want to wait-list a domain would have to set up an account with Verisign. After verifying their ID, they could wait-list up to 100 or so domains.

A simple, democratic system to replace backorders.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hiOsilver
...And, I doubt that they would shell out $8 million anyway....

You really do not understand how important this is to them or how well funded "they" are, do you?

I know of just ONE standing order, if WLS ever does become reality, that would commit over 2 million alone.

Do the math.

Wake up. Smell the coffee.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by affordablehosting
As I was saying, a reasonable per-person cap on WLS's would keep the big players from totally dominating the system.

Anyone who would want to wait-list a domain would have to set up an account with Verisign. After verifying their ID, they could wait-list up to 100 or so domains.

A simple, democratic system to replace backorders.

That's a completely ridiculous suggestion! WLS is not meant to be run as a charity, which is basically what you're saying if you're trying to take "means" out of the equation.

If the big players can afford 250,000 WLS slots at $40 each ($10 million) then hey, that's business!

If we weren't talking about domains, but about shoes for example, is it rational to expect somebody who can afford to buy 10,000 pairs of shoes to limit themselves to one pair simply because the guy down the road can't buy more than that?

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin
I used to be strongly against the WLS system.

However, now that the drop catchers have just about all gone to an auction format, my POV is changing.

I've probably spent at least $240 average per name on each of the last 10 names I've picked up in drops - probably more than that, actually - so if WLS cost $40 I could have had at least 6 WLS slots for each drop I've picked up.

In other words, if WLS is only 16.6% effective I would be no worse off than now.

On the other hand, I might have a chance at better names. Not fantastic A1+ names, but certainly better names than I'm getting right now. Why? Well, I'm often in line early enough to get the Snap etc. on some interesting names (2-3 months ahead of time) only to lose the name at the last minute to some 4-figure NW or Pool.com bid. With the WLS in place, had I bought the WLS slot rather than the Snap, I'd have ALL the chances at the domain.

I think you make some good points Edwin, but in order to believe you would achieve similar success beating others to the WLS like you are now in securing the snap, you'd have to assume that they would be using the same strategy they are using now under the current system. If it was a WLS system they would be using different techniques rather than just bidding 2k the day before drop or using their own private connections.

Under my circumstances I get what i can afford to get on a month to month basis. But all the best WLS slots for a year would be gone after the first few hours, so i would be able to to purchase maybe 1k worth on the first day, and then the following month there's nothing left to chase. I suppose there would be a market opening for buying and selling WLS's on names such as "I have the WLS on rent.com who would like to buy it?".

The implementation of WLS would make for an interesting new adventure, but I'm still opposed.

hotsauce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cartoonz

You really do not understand how important this is to them or how well funded "they" are, do you?

I know of just ONE standing order, if WLS ever does become reality, that would commit over 2 million alone.

Do the math.

Wake up. Smell the coffee.

Exactly my thoughts.

In the end you'll have to embrace an entirely performance based auction model like Pool.com, or go back to the archaic ways of NSI et al and their latest cartel driven money laundering scheme.

This strategic degradation in the effectiveness of Snapnames over the past month troubles me deeply. Does it mean Snap is just slowly closing down existing operations in preparation of WLS, or is it a sign that Pool.com is gaining momentum and picking up partners sheerly through better negotiating. I, for one, sincerely hope it's the latter.

Maybe a visitor I'm seeing here more frequently can answer that for us.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kjohar

Exactly my thoughts.

In the end you'll have to embrace an entirely performance based auction model like Pool.com, or go back to the archaic ways of NSI et al and their latest cartel driven money laundering scheme.

This strategic degradation in the effectiveness of Snapnames over the past month troubles me deeply. Does it mean Snap is just slowly closing down existing operations in preparation of WLS, or is it a sign that Pool.com is gaining momentum and picking up partners sheerly through better negotiating. I, for one, sincerely hope it's the latter.

Maybe a visitor I'm seeing here more frequently can answer that for us.

The latter.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how in such a short time most of us seem to have gone from anti-wls to pro-wls? A few mos ago whenever I posted my pro-wls views I usually got heavily criticised, even flames and negative pm's. How quickly things change.

I think new wls support has much to do with the fact with all the new expired services it is real tough to get a name unless one spends almost full time working hard at it and using many different services. Someone like hardworking Duke can succeed at it but not many others.

In th past it was much easier as all you basically needed was the Snap (as long as BD did not go gunning for it). Now Snap seems to be FAR less effective at it to the point having only a Snap likely means you have little chance of getting a good name.

Snap has failed for me almost 90% (a guess- did not keep stats) of the time starting roughly the time frame of the redemption period rule, when they started a big success decline. Perhaps that is related to the decline in Snapnames along with all the heavy competition.

ps123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Among the problems I have with WLS is that you will have one shot and only one at getting a particular domain. Today you have mutiple chances that do not require you to put money up front a year ahead of time

Under WLS I will have a 100% chance of getting the domain that I want, provided it expires. Right now I have close to 0% chance of getting a very good domain. Even half decent domains have $2000+ bids on namewinner/pool.

I would rather have a 100% chance of securing a decent domain at an upfront payment of $29-$35 than multiple chances.

What are the 'multiple chances' anyway?

(1) Pay $69 for a snapback subscription 6 months before a domain expire and then see it getting grabbed by namewinner/pool/BD.

(2) Pay $1000+ for worthless domains at pool/namewinner auctions.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Under WLS your options will disappear. If you are not successfully competing against BD and the rest today, you are not going to successfully compete against them under WLS. With their money and research departments they will pick up nearly all of the worthwhile names long before they even enter your field of view and then your chances are gone for good. I have never met a monopoly I liked, including this one. They always create far more problems than they solve.

Duke is right! What makes you think that you can do much better under WLS than now? Once the slot is taken for that domain it is GAME OVER! No matter how much you would be willing to pay, you would lose it to someone that paid around $40 for it. If you are not able to utilize all the drop catchers that are out there today efficiently, I think your chances of getting a WLS slot for a very good name are slim. Sad but true!

Obviously with a lot more drop catchers moving to an auction system, it has become more costly to get good names. However, you have to remember that most of these prices are driven up by us resellers and not the end users, which means that there are people among us here at DNF who actually think they are worth that amont AT LEAST. If you win a name for $10k and are confident that it will fetch at least $15k if you sell it. You have made $5k in profit maybe in a month!

I can see that it maybe is becoming a costly business for some to chase domains on daily basis under the auction systems. But remember that there are so many services out there today that it would be hard to believe that every name has the same bid price all over. Also you might have to reconsider your catching strategy a bit. Instead of going after names on daily bases just for the heck of it and some might not be that good as well, you maybe should save up your money and only go for the names you really want and like and put more purchasing power into those bids among all the drop catchers.

Hey, if you have the money, you can play this game everyday then good for you. If not, maybe it is time to change strategy and save your $$$ for names that are really worth it and then try to place higher bids for those. Maybe at end the month you will found yourself spending about the same amount as before but you got less domains. But at least you got a few that were really worth it.

Just my opinion!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am tired of WLS crap.

Personally I am against it.

Anyone here can get the names just as well as BD/pool etc.

These parties are willing to invest the $ that is needed.

If you go and offer the registrars enough $ and pay a good coder, trust me, you can do the same.

And you talk about BD as some god. I wouldnt be suprised if they are a 1-5 man operation.

I dont see anything that they are doing that requires any strong employment.

JMHO

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ps123
Under WLS I will have a 100% chance of getting the domain that I want, provided it expires.

Sure you will...
Unless someone better funded and prepared decides THEY want it FIRST. Look around. There is BIG money being spent to get names.

Right now I have close to 0% chance of getting a very good domain. Even half decent domains have $2000+ bids on namewinner/pool.

Apparently SOMEBODY thinks those domains are worth that money. They are willing to spend it.

I would rather have a 100% chance of securing a decent domain at an upfront payment of $29-$35 than multiple chances.

What are the 'multiple chances' anyway?

(1) Pay $69 for a snapback subscription 6 months before a domain expire and then see it getting grabbed by namewinner/pool/BD.

(2) Pay $1000+ for worthless domains at pool/namewinner auctions.

100% chance of getting locked out of EVER having a shot at your precious target, more like.

...and if the domains selling for $1000+ now are so worthless... WHY are they going for that kind of money?

If you suck now under the current system, you will really suck under WLS.

Wake up.
Smell the coffee.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Under WLS I will have a 100% chance of getting the domain that I want, provided it expires.

You will much more likely have a 100% chance of not getting the name under WLS. At least now you have a chance.

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaingoon now why are you saying people will not have a chance of getting there desired WLS subscription are you one of the big players do you rent pool 3 connections or do have so much money the current auction system doesn't matter to you.

People will be able to to get WLS subscriptions BECAUSE not everyone will be monitoring the same names there isn't one person that can monitor the net every second of the day. Do people not see it it's all about monitoring names. The average home computer will be able to monitor about 500,000 names every couple of days. Yes you will have to be a programmer but i'm damn sure there will programs coming out that will help people monitor names. I'll write you all one just to make you happy.

The big players will NOT get all the decent names the moment the WLS system opens because there's thousands of people that will know exactly what's going to drop just the same as the big players and there all going to be registering there WLS slots at the same time the big players do. For all those that havn't worked it out yet you will realise soon what you have to do and you are the only people that are against WLS now or of cause the big players.

Everyone will have a much better chance of getting names on the WLS system they just have to be smarter.

PEOPLE STOP SUPPORTING THE CURRENT SYSTEM AS YOU WILL AND I REPEAT IT YOU WILL HAVE A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING NAMES WITH WLS WHAT WE HAVE TO DO IS GET NETSOL & SNAPNAMES TO CHANGE TO THE WAY WE WANT IT AT LEAST 10 TRIES PER SUBSCRIPTION.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cartoonz
If you suck now under the current system, you will really suck under WLS.

Spot on, I agree with this completely.

I think the people who will benefit most from WLS are the people who are doing OK under the current system (i.e. who don't suck at all) but who don't have the funds to get into daily 4-figure auctions on Pool, NW etc. They will come out of the WLS situation with a better range of names than now.

At the top end, well the huge players are going to do incredibly well with WLS, though they're going to have to gulp and dig DEEP into their pockets at first to get them kick-started.

People who can't even get the current system to pay off for them will be left running around like headless chickens ("Free slot... have you seen a free slot?!") when WLS comes along.

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't make me laff that's the funniest thing i've heard all day hahahaha. What ever mate. The people actually that are againt WLS are the ones doing great with the current system waky waky.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like Netsol having anymore control over anything than they already have and I would prefer they didn't have that. I've been down the road with them before and I don't wan t to go back. I'm sure you've heard it all before and you see the lawsuits right and left. If you want to know my story you can find it among the tens of thousands on nsihorrorstories.com .

Why is it that all of the large registrars are against it? Think it may be because Netsol is still just as screwed up as it has been for years? Think it could be because they to don't want to give them their monopoly back?

Whats next on the agenda for Netsol will we have to get on a waiting list to reregister domains we already own? Who knows first it's redemption period which everyone thought would be great but now the picks are getting scarce because it gives everyone else a chance to find those names. This is the reason the bids are skyrocketing not because of the bidding system itself. You don't have to be too bright to find a list of dictionary words and run them thru a script to find out what droping within the two or three months time that is now given. Before you would have to know the exact expiry dates. Now its easy as pie.

garymayor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't like Netsol running it but i strongly beleive that will change after the first year after the testing phase but to be honest there shouldn't even be a testing phase it should just start and keep the domains with there current registrar until they work out a round robin system.

The large registrars are against because there making loads of money off it at the moment not because the don't like netsol.

You'll still get lists with expiry dates on but just a lot earlier in the game.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So we let Netsol have all of the money and let the registrars do all of the work and end up in a price war where they will be selling WLS at a dollar profit like now thats the solution? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom