Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

9 Months Later whats worth more... .xxx domains or the....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure makes you wonder about a person's mental state when their first association with the word "spooning" involves feeding sperm to children.
now, now, now...you know you're wrong so why even bring it up.

Amazing how quickly everyone forgot the original post and question. As usual, the thread was taken way off track.

9 Months Later whats worth more... .xxx domains or the T-Shirts they handed out at the Traffic show?

The t-shirts, of course, as I mentioned in post 7.

Domain Summit 2024

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is .xxx even indexable by search engines?

Starblaze

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For any serious business, I believe people view the .xxx as an adult domain, I didn't/wouldn't invest in them myself. Glad I listened to my inner voice. I think the more extensions they release - the more diluted they are making domaining. I still think the .co's may have fallen but can be worthwhile to the right buyer, but that applies to all domains. I'm buying .com's from now on. :)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For any serious business, I believe people view the .xxx as an adult domain, I didn't/wouldn't invest in them myself. Glad I listened to my inner voice. I think the more extensions they release - the more diluted they are making domaining. I still think the .co's may have fallen but can be worthwhile to the right buyer, but that applies to all domains. I'm buying .com's from now on. :)

I agree 100%.

I think they would rather phase us out to be honest.

DomainName

Live, Eat, Breathe Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this extension, just like the rest of them. False hopes.

.xxx
.mobi
.cm
.tel

The list goes on.

.xxx is such a niche market though just like the others. Only the registrants with the strong keywords will survive this one.

.co could be added to the list, since most people laugh when you say go to blah,blah.co ...they always say, "You mean .com right."

It's funny. People thought they could get typo traffic from the .co, but it's the other way around...the .co bleeds traffic to the .com

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Glad I listened to my inner voice.

That inner voice is what we call common sense.

You only have to look at who's pushing the TLD, Look at how hard their pushing it and Look at how much time and money is being spent on Attorney's pushing for it's approval, Anyone who thinks their doing all this for the good of the Internet is a gullible idiot.

For ICANN to approve such TLD's it must have a use, so they create one, With XXX it was; "For the first time there will be a clearly defined web address for adult entertainment, out of the reach of minors and as free as possible from fraud or malicious computer viruses. Said Stuart Lawley, chief executive of ICM, What a CROCK.

XXX webmasters will find a way to target children just like they do with .COM, Not possible to add a virus to a xxx TLD web page? WOW, I'd like to ge a hold of that technology. A clearly defined web address? One that will be overshadowed by other Adult TLD's?

And were contributing money to these money grabbing thieves, who line their pockets and pollute the internet at the same time.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In keeping with the norm, no matter how many times I or someone else attempts to get the thread back on track, someone wants to make this entire thread about me.

Sorry Adam. It rears its ugly head here and no one is safe.

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.cc is the ccTLD for Cocos (Keeling) Islands. They have very small population and tried to market it like "credir card" TLD and failed.
.it is Italy's ccTLD with millions of population and registered domains that is the main domain extension used in Italy.

How do these compare to .xxx?

They compare totally and completely in their universal failure regarding domaining - .COM's compared to any other extension.. including XXX Give me at least one domain extension that has been as successful as .COM and Ill change my mind and edit my post.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IF you are including ccTLD's, all you have to do is look at .de and .nl.

Its nearly impossible to find a buyer for a dutch word dot com.

Yes, there has been many flops. But to many, their very own ccTLD is preferred.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can think about 50 ccTLDs that are very successful. Not everything is about US. (or domaining)
.de .co.uk .it .es .gr .ru .fr .fi etc...

.it is around for nearly 25 years and is no 1 in Italy. .com doesn't even compare there.

They compare totally and completely in their universal failure regarding domaining - .COM's compared to any other extension.. including XXX Give me at least one domain extension that has been as successful as .COM and Ill change my mind and edit my post.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a number of countries the local extension is by far preferred over .com. They are not failures.
Can't compare with .cc, it is a vanity TLD because it has no local market. See post #50. .nl: 5 million domains for 16 million citizens. In proportion .us would be as big as .com (100M registrations).
Tip: our best performing PPC domains are ccTLDs.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
See post #50. .nl: 5 million domains for 16 million citizens. In proportion .us would be as big as .com (100M registrations).
Tip: our best performing PPC domains are ccTLDs.
.jp is another great example. Some country codes are as good as gold to their citizenry.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
it would be a reason maybe. not sure what kind of logic its based on..

when .mobi came out i thought it'd be a good idea to register stuff relevant to mobile or that could be in the future.. it got kind of crazy after that with people registering everything and the hype talk got blown out of proportion. top that off with crazy bubble price sales and a newbie domainer boom taking place and voila - a mess!

i think with the rollout of the new TLD's relevance will become even more important to the right of the dot. i dont see the value in banking.xxx

I actually respect members like yourself who are intellectually honest when rendering an opinion, you've always done this in the past and I knew if I asked the question I would get an honest answer, The ones who are dishonest and let their ego's control their way of thinking, these members do a great disservice to the forum and to themselves.

Give me at least one domain extension that has been as successful as .COM and Ill change my mind and edit my post.

One doesn't exist... All they can do is try to make a TLD successful and this usually fails because it takes internet users as a whole to make a TLD a success, NOT just resellers.

Last edited:

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I admit that I am quite biased when it comes to the com extension, or possibly have read too many of Rick Schwartz's articles quoting "com is king", but if you take a look at the SEDO sales each week (an international domain marketplace, arguably the largest), it's very,very clear which domain extension brings in the bucks. I have only lost money with other extensions, and I bet I'm not the only one. I am encouraged however by Katherine's comment that "our best performing PPC domains are ccTLDs."

That being said, the US has over 231 MILLION internet users, placing the United States 2nd in the world per capita. 3rd place shrinks in comparison by nearly 25% of the US's internet users. (Japan) The only other country who outranks the US in internet users is China, by a mere 60 Million people, barely 22% of the population. (according to http://world.bymap.org/InternetUsers.html )

It seems pretty clear to me that Com is the preferred, popular extension, but I do admit that alot of the other extensions mentioned aren't actually failures like I said before, they just haven't been as successful as com has been. I would be interested in seeing how many .CN's (China's domain) are registered compared to .COM's, but can't seem to find that info anywhere...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i do not remember the exact number but .cn is the most registered thanks to a 1 yuan (13 cents) reg fee.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .xxx was a waste of time and paperwork. I have yet to see anyone make any real profit from it other than the registrars that sell the domains/ICANN. So obviously the handouts!

I never was too big on other extensions (com, net org) . I bought one .co and that was my own name. I sold quite a few .co domains when brokering for high figures but not sure they are actually making anything from them either.

.XXX gets two thumbs down.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"our best performing PPC domains are ccTLDs." .
Not that I want to try and second guess someone, but I believe what Katherine may have been eluding to was the ratio of Dutch to the .nl. I am not sure any stats exist as to who (as a nationality) holds more .com (not sure any stats would be accurate anyways with all the off shore accounts). But some ccTLD's are very tightly controlled. Perhaps even the .ca ratio to Canadian citizens would be a high ratio as well.

Of course the .com would rank highly in terms of registrations considering its longevity.

Back to .xxx. For the record, I own more .com and have always owned more .com than any other extension. Up until recently, I owned nearly 2500 LLLL.com. I either sold, gave away, or let drop perhaps 1500 over the last year and a half.

SO, again, getting back to .xxx...I am not sure I own any more than the one mentioned spooning (aka, cuddling) and very doubtful I will renew. Yes it gets traffic, and yes it does get some conversion. But not enough to warrant keeping.

That's the story of the .xxx in my portfolio. And that's the story of the definition of spooning.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think constantly saying stuff like ".com is king" misses the point... it would be like every time a city reaches a sizable population and you start telling someone about it - they cut you off and go "yeah well new york city is king." or maybe "ha, you dork - you and your stupid corner grocery store - dont you know wal-mart is king!??!!!"

now, i understand that some of the really old school domainers from the 1990's feel its worth mentioning often because they remember the days when the internet was a black hole of nothingness and there were only a few geeks online... if you were simply on the internet in the mid 90's doing absolutely nothing you were a geek and people thought you were kinda weird. to go even further and have the guts to pay real money to register words ending in .com when most the population had no idea what that was -- yes i do see why some of the old school domainers continue to mention this.. credit is due where credit is due.

but then come the parrots and people trying to ride coat tails a little too closely by yelling slogans from well known domainers. if i have a pie - and 95% of that pie is no profit possible - then i tell you that the other 5% of that pie is wide open for the taking and there is money to be made (even on just quick flips)... would you focus on the majority of ways that you cannot make money or the few ways that you can? little progress is ever made by focusing too much on all the ways that you cannot make money..

I sold quite a few .co domains when brokering for high figures but not sure they are actually making anything from them either.

sounds like you made some money. who cares if those other people are making money? did you attach hopes and dreams to your domain sale? e.g. telling people "just wait 2 years and the value will explode"

the flipping game is legit. i sold lots of .mobi, mostly to domainers... but with the way the market is now i wouldn't even re-register some of the stuff i sold for $xxx that is now dropped... but i dont feel bad because i simply sold a domain name - not hopes and dreams - and the money i got was real.. i know because i spent it at the grocery store and elsewhere - the cashiers who accepted the money didn't even care it was from domainer>domainer sales.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Na didn't really have to do much presale gibberish. I just had access to some of the best keyword .co domains available at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom