Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Adam Dicker - DCG - CIRA Nominee - ALL .CA OWNERS - PLEASE VOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moreover, the "opening up" of .CA domains to non-Canadians is obviously not aligned to the mainstream philosophy HITHERTO in the .CA community, where .CA domains are supposed to offer Canadian individuals and businesses a name space which relates to their Canadian specific audience/market.
QUOTE]

For the record, I do NOT want to open up the .ca so that everyone could get them, tha would be counter productive.

-=DCG=-

revolution1

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what do you mean then about opening it up???

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with having academics and political strategists on board. These are the people who are able to provide the theoretical framework and rationale behind ANY good move. Without them, CIRA will just be a den for greedy registrars.

Well the Final Nominee List is made up of the folks that have run CIRA for the last 3 year term (some grandfathered in for the 07 election) - I got to tell ya - can you remember anything big comming out of CIRA in that timeframe - did Registration/Transfers for the layman get easier -
thought so!

and as for greedy registrars - they are already on the board! one director controls zip.ca and under the covers that smells Namescout.com, Look at the logo's - we all know about Namescout and thier No-Service policy + their shell .CA registrar companies, 16 that I have found (list below)- work exclusivly with Pool

DomainLuminary
DomainMall
DomainNameStore
DomainPlaza
getdomainsiwant
GetYourDotInfo
Grabton
HOSTMASTER
luckydomains
MainDomain
Namescout
regnow
ROMEL
Submit
WhatsYourName
ZidoDomain

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The CIRA election process is so flawed that most people including domainers did not verify before the election and are now not allowed to vote.

Getting to vote is as difficult as transferring a .ca name to a new registrar.

-=DCG=-

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I apparently am one of them...%%^&*^$
I just called them and was told I was sent an application May 30. I was in the middle of moving to the west coast that weekend and may have deleted it. There is no way to get another they say. I just assumed I was still a member until I went to vote!!!
When I asked why all of a sudden they were sending out membership forms again I was told that in the past people who owned multiple domains were getting multiple votes. I have multiple names and have never had more than 1 vote.

Sorry Adam, I was hoping to vote support for someone who knows the business but I guess it will have to wait until next year...

Jim

The CIRA election process is so flawed that most people including domainers did not verify before the election and are now not allowed to vote.

-=DCG=-

garyrcanuck

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure what goes on at CIRA, but for the past week I have sent 3 emails, spent a few days trying to talk to someone in registration. My emails have not been answered, they are saying they are having phone line problems?

As I mentioned earlier, I applied for membership, I received a phone call that my enrollment package was on its way? It seems that I am still not a member, never received the email with pin code?

There is no doubt this place needs some shaking up. I have found in business that if the basics are screwed up, the entire system is screwed up

garyrcanuck

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Finally talked to a very nice lady at CIRA. I was informed that my membership package should arrive shortly? I did apply early in July. Once this membership package arrives I will be a full member?

I believe the show of support (20 names?) has to be completed by Aug 20. The final election is in Sept 6

This is info from CIRA website. You can count on my show of support vote if I receive the "package" in time. I should be able to be able to vote on the main election. Here is that time table

Nomination Committee Nominations concluded on May 21, 2007 and a final list of Nomination Committee Candidates is available on CIRA’s website at https://elections.cira.ca/2007/en/final_list.html. After July 23, 2007, CIRA’s Returning Officer will prepare a list of Member Nominees to be posted by August 6 prior to the opening of the Show of Support period. To advance to the Final Members’ Slate, Member Nominees must receive 20 Shows of Support from CIRA Members before the close of the Show of Support period on August 20, 2007.

CIRA Board of Directors Election

CIRA Members will elect a total of four Directors during the 2007 CIRA Board of Directors Election: three Directors from the Final Nomination Committee Slate and one Director from the Final Members' Slate. All Director seats hold a three-year term.

CIRA Members can cast their Board of Directors Election votes from 6:00 pm (18:00h) Ottawa time on September 6, 2007 to 6:00 pm (18:00h) Ottawa time on September 13, 2007 through the CIRA Election website. CIRA Members attending the 2007 CIRA Annual General Meeting on September 6, 2007 at Le Royal Méridien King Edward Hotel in Toronto, Ontario, can cast their votes in person from 6:00pm (18:00h) to 7:00 pm (19:00h) Ottawa time.

Lets get voting. We need Adam on that board

ianccc

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can count on my show of support vote if I receive the "package" in time. I should be able to be able to vote on the main election.

-----from the CIRA Website------
You must complete CIRA's Membership Enrolment by July 31st, 2007 to maintain your CIRA Membership and voter eligibility.

garyrcanuck

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. I completed the registration early July. You are not a full fleged member though until the enrollment package arrives and you confirm. I was informed that I am able to vote in this election as soon as I complete the registration that is included in this package, which the membership dept would be arriving shortly

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL! To be fair, most problems related to transferring a .CA domain are stemming from ignorant registrars. Just make sure you find a good one. Over the last 12 months, I transferred quite a few .CA domains (for both myself and my clients), from either BareMetal or NamesPro to Tucows; all went through smoothly.

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. I completed the registration early July. You are not a full fleged member though until the enrollment package arrives and you confirm. I was informed that I am able to vote in this election as soon as I complete the registration that is included in this package, which the membership dept would be arriving shortly

I think you need to change REGISTRARS ... your simply a "click' away from any single registration of a domain ... as for some of the comments I am reading .... UN - REAL .... I speak with CIRA sometimes daily and I can tell you they are very PROMPT and take care of the members ... the only complainers are those who can't yet win a good name obn those TBR's that have also greatly improved.

I think it is great if Adam gets in ... it is purely a mathematical game and if indeed everyone on this forum did vote .... or if just a handful of Canadians on this forum vote ... he would be a shoe IN ...

As for opening up the domains to NON Canadians ... I am all fo this ... the industry is "passee" and those days of protecting domains are gone ... almost every extension in the world has open policies and so " why not" ...

If you think there are great .ca's left .... then register them ... before someone else does...

Thanks For reading,

garyrcanuck

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Received the magic letter from CIRA today. I am now a full-fledged member. My first act as a member was to add my "show of Support" to the candidate Adam Dicker.

I believe we need Adam on the board as his experience in the Domain/Business world will help create a more user friendly, secure, successful CIRA to deal with present and future growth of .ca's

Confirmed vote

domainweb

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have just nominated him. Finally got my letter yesterday. CIRA phone support said the letter was sent back to them and remailed on Aug 11. My experiences have been all positive with CIRA so far. I have learned so much from this forum that Adam created. This forum definitely benefits the individual domain owner. I feel he is the right person to be on the CIRA Board of Directors since he can represent the domain owner's interests and has solid experience and knowledge.

nts

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been a CIRA member since 2002, or so I thought...

Apparently I needed to re-enroll. I was never informed of this, by email or otherwise. I guess I'll have to do it now, but that leaves me past the deadline for voting.

Sorry Adam, I would have voted for you. :(

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The issue is that we need to have 20 shows of support bt the 20th leaving us just two days.

Unless we really get some rallying together to get 15 more supporters, thiswont happen.

I just want to make a difference for us canadaians buying ca'a adn educate CIRA on the things that need fixing.

We have 5 shows of support and we need 20 by end of Monday, so if you vote your vote is urgently needed. Ask any freinds that can vote and that will get us through this part.

Hoping we as a community can get the support needed ;)

-=DCG=-

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

This is so true. I own a number of .ca domains and wanted to vote the moment I got the PM but was not allowed and was informed that it would take quite some time for me to be eligible to vote.

If you are a Canadian entity and own .ca domains (for which you must qualify), why should you go through so much in order to vote? It is easier to vote for parliament than for cira nominees.

I

impactadmin

It is hard to believe that only 5 members so far have completed a full registration.

I think Cira has made it too difficult of a process to follow.

Any other members verified that can vote?
Obviously you must only vote if you feel Adam should be elected.

revolution1

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are a Canadian entity and own .ca domains (for which you must qualify), why should you go through so much in order to vote? It is easier to vote for parliament than for cira nominees.
Yeah I agree I guess CIRA is a facist regime within our canadian democracy. Next you'll need a passport to buy dot ca's.
Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators