Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Adam Dicker - DCG - CIRA Nominee - ALL .CA OWNERS - PLEASE VOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My Views
Just reading this thread shows that improvements need to be made at CIRA.

This election is providing an opportunity to impove the way CIRA operates. It provides an opportunity to fine tune many of the existing laws. The basic structure of CIRA is fine, simply needs some updating to meet the growth that .ca is experiencing.

At present there is a group of extremely well educated & diverse proffessionals seeking a position on the future board. Diversity in any business is a must.

What I find missing in the list of nominees is someone with extensive hands on experience in the Domain world. There is one exception though. Our own DCG, Adam Dicker.

We at dnforum know what Adam's qualifications are, we simply just need to participate in this forum to verify this.

I believe Adams experience would benefit CIRA in the fact that he has been there, done that. He would be able to demonstrate this to his fellow board members, who may be lacking expertise in this field. This in turn would result in a more efficient operation, ready to deal with the growth of the Canadian .ca's

Adam needs our support, time is running out. Lets all contact other .ca owners that we know, if they are CIRA members, get them to vote. These could be people you sold/purchased a domain from. Know from a business experience or just a friend online. They are out there.

Lets not miss out on this opportunity. it effects all of us .ca owners.

Domain summit 2024

ianccc

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nominations close at 6:00 pm (18:00h) Ottawa time on August 20, 2007.
this is a three year term - that's a long time considering the .CA is in
possibly it's most important breakout stage.

ALSO
-----------------------------------
CIRA Directors are not required to be Members of CIRA.
so existing directors and nominees do not have to be members - only those who want to vote

I have to stop reading the CIRA Election rules :))

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I really hope that at least 20 votes showed up. There's no reason that there shouldn't of been...except for the fact that a bunch of us couldn't vote because our memberships had disappeared (myself included). That should tell you something since we're in the domain business and we don't have our memberships...obviously this system makes no sense. It should be a simple point and click after you access your CIRA registrant account. What a joke. I hope you made it Adam.

ianccc

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the fact that a bunch of us couldn't vote because our memberships had disappeared

Give your head a shake!
Believe me I hate to be the one to defend CIRA but they sent out notices - offered free flash drives, and in general enticed CA owners to apply for membership

There is plenty to fix at CIRA - and I am never on thier Fan Club - but they made a good effort to have folks gain Membership

I

impactadmin

I dont believe it was made clear enough by Cira. It seems most members didnt validate their memberships. What is strange if most domainers didnt validate their membership then I wonder how many actually have.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The final tally was 6, well below the miniumum 20 required to continue.

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A special thanks to those that took the time out of their day to show support.

Thanks again,

-=DCG=-

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont believe it was made clear enough by Cira. It seems most members didnt validate their memberships. What is strange if most domainers didnt validate their membership then I wonder how many actually have.

In fact CIRA put this process on hold since no one was replying to the confirmation emails. I had a conversation with them about this and they put this on hold at the moment. You only need to confirm your membership the first time you register a domain. PLEASE do not quote me on this one ... we all know how CIRA can change on a dime ... in all respect to CIRA ... they are trying and it is one of the best Registries in the world. I KNOW !!!

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Well I really hope that at least 20 votes showed up. There's no reason that there shouldn't of been...except for the fact that a bunch of us couldn't vote because our memberships had disappeared (myself included). That should tell you something since we're in the domain business and we don't have our memberships...obviously this system makes no sense. It should be a simple point and click after you access your CIRA registrant account. What a joke. I hope you made it Adam.

Memberships do not simply disapear unless you have no domains with CIRA ... they do end up in junk folder though which is what happened to over 99% of members. Fact!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing only six people notified CIRA of their support for Adam. Did they screw that count up too?

Why don't we as .ca domain holders/investors/Canadian content creators form a Canadian domain name association? If we can't get one of our own inside of the mechanisms of CIRA, let's do it in a language they might understand.

Right now we will be looking in from the outside as we have been and they will continue on their merry way doing a whole lot of nothing.

garyrcanuck

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing only six people notified CIRA of their support for Adam. Did they screw that count up too?

Why don't we as .ca domain holders/investors/Canadian content creators form a Canadian domain name association? If we can't get one of our own inside of the mechanisms of CIRA, let's do it in a language they might understand.

Right now we will be looking in from the outside as we have been and they will continue on their merry way doing a whole lot of nothing.

You are right on the money Roy. A .ca Association would be a great voice. I am sure with all the experience of members just on this forum we could create a voice of THOUSANDS and give CIRA some well needed help.

Lets do this.Yourself & other webdesigners could set up the site. I am sure we could get some financing aid from someone or charge a small enrollment fee?

Again excellent idea. Lets find a name first, then go for it. I could supply onlydotca.ca I am sure all of us ca'ers have other names.

Perhaps we could set up a thread here or ?

Lets hear some feedback.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with the couple of you defending CIRA, but give me a break! I applied for my membership back when they were giving out USB drives. I never got my drive or my membership stuff. I don't have the time to follow-back on everything. I shouldn't have to bug someone after I'm the last one to correspond. And the fact that only 6 peoples' votes out of a 4+ page (plus I'm sure Adam has friends outside of this) counted, makes no sense to me.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And the fact that only 6 peoples' votes out of a 4+ page (plus I'm sure Adam has friends outside of this) counted, makes no sense to me.
To be fair, this is SUMMER, and A LOT of people are on vacation (I know I was). And 9 days are not exactly long enough to rally after all. But I too am surprised by this result, or I could have helped organize a bit.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When is the next CIRA nominee vote? Is it a yearly thing? Hopefully we can organize it better (start now), if this is a yearly event so we can get Adam on (if he still wants it).

Kamloops

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have my vote - open .CA up to the world and make it easier to register and transfer. The mandate from the federal govt to cira was to make it just as easy to register as a dot com.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have my vote - open .CA up to the world and make it easier to register and transfer. The mandate from the federal govt to cira was to make it just as easy to register as a dot com.

Hmmm... do you have a source / link to this mandate from gc.ca to model the .ca ccTLD after that of .com ? I'm not sure that we want .ca to what .com was in the early days with the NetSol monopoly ... or even an oligopoly of perhaps 3-4 registrars ?

I like the concept of keep .ca as a ccTLD for now. It's help establish the Canadian identity aspect of the extension.... and when the time is right: open it up.

All that being said, I'm surprised as well that Adam didn't get more "officially tracked" support.

I must say, that the CIRA registration agreement is... without a doubt... the longest and most complicated I have ever seen.

Rob

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam should be on the ICANN board and fix up the mess ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators